1983 to 2004

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jeep is miss firing

Don't know if anyone has had this problem. Last night on the way home my 2005 TJ Rubicon, started to miss fire our sputter. This was the first sub freezing day this year, and I thought I might have water in my fuel lines or something (no check engine light). This morning same problem, I stopped at the gas station and put a bottle of HEET in the tank and refueled. Headed to work and problem persisted. The problem seemed more noticeable going up hills. After about 30 miles the engine miss fired (sputtered) pretty hard, the check engine light flashed on and off and then went out. Then I noticed my cruise control was out. When I got to work I did a quick visual to see if maybe I had knocked a vacuum line loose or something but I did not see any obvious problems. Any ideas?
    2.5” Old Man Emu Lift, 35X12X15 Goodyear MTRs, Yukon 5:13 Gears, Nth° Tummy Tucker, Nth° Oil Pan Skid Plate, Nth° Stinger and Rear Diff Skid Plate, Gen Right Mini Boat Rock Rails, Rusty’s Off Road Adjustable Control Arms, Poison Spyder Front Bumper, Rugged Ridge 10.5 Winch, KC Off Road Lights, Tantrum Rock Lights, and more to follow….

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2007

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When was the last time u changed ur plugs and wires? We had an 04 Dodge Stratus that ran fine one day and started cutting out and had lack of power the very next day. Don't know if it was bad fuel or just that time but I pulled the plugs and they were all in need of replacing. Swamped them out and ran fine.

You can also check ur air filter and fuel filter as they would cause it to cut out also.. good luck.
    project Road Kill
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDogSoldier View Post
    NOTHING good happens after 10pm, except in the bedroom.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Doolittle-Rural-Fire-Protection-District/170759052726

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1983 to 2004

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changed plugs this.past weekend. I'll check the air filter tonight, do you now where the fuel filter is on a th?
    2.5” Old Man Emu Lift, 35X12X15 Goodyear MTRs, Yukon 5:13 Gears, Nth° Tummy Tucker, Nth° Oil Pan Skid Plate, Nth° Stinger and Rear Diff Skid Plate, Gen Right Mini Boat Rock Rails, Rusty’s Off Road Adjustable Control Arms, Poison Spyder Front Bumper, Rugged Ridge 10.5 Winch, KC Off Road Lights, Tantrum Rock Lights, and more to follow….

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2007

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a clue where it is on ur Ruby. Try Google or call a stealership I mean dealership and ask them where it is.

But if I had to guess I would say its either in the tank or along the frame depending on what motor you have. U might also check and see If the plug wires are all attached still. Sometimes you can get them on and they not be all the way on and cause issues.
    project Road Kill
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDogSoldier View Post
    NOTHING good happens after 10pm, except in the bedroom.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Doolittle-Rural-Fire-Protection-District/170759052726

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grab a can of water disperant better known as WD40. Just behind the battery, mounted on the firewall is a square box with 3large plugs. Remove all 3 plugs. Using WD40 , spray liberally in the plugs and the openings. Wipe blow into openings or use compressed air. Let dry a bit, replace.

Let us know...
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1983 to 2004

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SavageSun4x4 View Post
    Grab a can of water disperant better known as WD40. Just behind the battery, mounted on the firewall is a square box with 3large plugs. Remove all 3 plugs. Using WD40 , spray liberally in the plugs and the openings. Wipe blow into openings or use compressed air. Let dry a bit, replace.

Let us know...
    I'll try anything cheap once.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1983 to 2004

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I may have got lucky. After reading this thread and others on different sites, I tried a few things. First, I replaced the Autolite double platinum plugs I put in a week ago, with Champion plugs. I also cleaned all the pluplug boots to ensure there was now excess dialectic grease in them. Next, I tried to spray WD40 on the control mods but could not get them disconnected. Next, changeed the air filter. Then sprayed throttle body cleaner in the throttle body (whole can) while it was running (various rpms). Then drove the Jeep at low gear high rpm, for several second intervals (4000+rpm) and then took it on a test drive. So far, so good. Only thing I have to do is drive it in the cold to verify the good luck.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1983 to 2004

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I am lucky. The Jeep ran like a champ this morning going to work. I think this is the second time I bought Autolite spark plugs and had issues. Never again.