1996 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question converting to dual batteries Questions

Would it hurt to run a red top and yellow top Optima in series? What I'm looking to do is use the yellow for the winch mainly and the red for starting and have the alternator charge them both, what would be the best way to do this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sr. B
    Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

I don't always go full retard, but when I do I take the Jeep...

Money can't buy Happiness, But it can buy BACON, close enough!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead1985 View Post
    i think i r druck and will rechecck in the morning

___/l ,[____],
    l----------L OllllllO-
    ()_)-----()_)-o-)_)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you are dead set on runnin duals and that's ok,I see no reason to run dual batteries.

First rule is to always have your engine running when using the winch.

Second rule is too run a top quality deep cycle battery. Such as an Odessey or the Sears platinum which is also an Odessey.

One battery will support all the winching even the most slutty of the winch Ho you will come across. Put you hard earned ducats into better winch rope like Master Pull Super Line. This will allow you to stand on the sidelines while the winch Ho is cooking his winch and kinking his steel cable.

Now you can step in, save the day and slap your MP Super Line on yonder Jeep and jerk him and his trail Ho to safety. Later that night his trail Ho will slip into your tent, yank your super line while you are slappin her ass like a rented mule
    Last edited by SavageSun4x4; 11-28-2010 at 10:22.
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh so nicely put.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Assassin View Post
    I'd jump all ovet that waggy!!!
    If I offend anyone tonight, I apologize. That's not my intention. I'm not going to guess what your personal line of decency is. I cross my own from time to time. It's how I know I still have one. not that i actually cared in the first place.

"Cougar or not, I'd bang both those broads like a f***ing retard with a tambourine in each hand"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was pretty vivid.
    Keep it slow. I can't afford spare parts.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow.
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2007

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was a nice description. How ever it is not advised. To mix a red and yellow top batterie.

The red top is your general service battery and the yellow is considered a construction or heavy duty battery and mixing them will cause one or both batteries to prematurely fail because they are different. If you wanna run dual batteries that's fine but its recommended by all manufactures to use identical batteries in your application. You would probably get away with it for a while but it will come back to bite you in the end.
    project Road Kill
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDogSoldier View Post
    NOTHING good happens after 10pm, except in the bedroom.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Doolittle-Rural-Fire-Protection-District/170759052726

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been doing some research and did find that it is not advised to mix different size, type(starting/deep cycle) and ages of batteries in a non-isolated dual system. However I did find a ADD-A-BATTERY setup for a marine application that would isolate the two batteries mainly for charging and usage. The reason I'm thinking this would be a better setup than what I have is, I have the red top currently and while trying to recover my buddies Yoda with running at around 2500 RPM it just up and killed my entire charging system and I really don't want to have to be pull started on the trail again, if it can be avoided.

ADD A BATTERY.jpg
    What do ya'll think, would this work?
    Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

I don't always go full retard, but when I do I take the Jeep...

Money can't buy Happiness, But it can buy BACON, close enough!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead1985 View Post
    i think i r druck and will rechecck in the morning

___/l ,[____],
    l----------L OllllllO-
    ()_)-----()_)-o-)_)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a dual battery setup and am extremely happy with it. First of all, dont mix the batteries! Your charging system will try to balance the combined load and since the batteries are diffrent it will cause problems. Run two deep cycle batteries for winch/general use. I run 2 Optima yellow tops. Odessy is good too.

Now a single battery can be OK for winching, but the dual setup is good because it doubbles the runtime and available amps. However, the reason your charging system got wasted was because most electric winches will load the system faster than a stock alternator can recharge it. The duals will help, but if you are going to be doing really hard winch pulls, Id upgrade the alternator to a high output unit first, then install the dual setup.

Why else is the dual battery setup good? When your alternator dies a couple of hundred miles from home bolth batteries will run the ignition all the way back! When you lapse and leave the headlights on, the isolator protects the second battery and the Jeep starts right up. When you want to power something for a long time with the engine off - no risk of killing the starting battery.

As far as setup, I use 2 Optimas in a mean green dual tray with a Wrangler NW Power products in cab controller. Compact, clean installation. The switch looks almost factory in the position I have it. The link below shows a Wrangler NW dual setup for Osysseys. My setup is similar, but I just bought the switch, isolator, and wiring from them seperatly so I could run the stacked tray and Optimas.

http://www.wranglernw.com/pc-6366-79...1997-2006.aspx
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes ideally you want to use bateries with same internal resistance to keep the charging circuit happy(thats why is recomended to use the same type). The difference between Deep Cycle and regular batteries is the DC will recharge from a lower (Deep) discharge (60-70%)and allow it for longer period of time. A regular car battery is design for up to 5% discharge and a qwick recharge. So in theory you can run a Red top 34 and a Yellow top D75 or Red top 34 and a Blue top 34M. Both combo have the same internal resistance but,(IMHO) the Red_Blue combo would be better since they are near identical in spects....
    Or you can use something like this....
    http://www.powerstream.com/battery-isolator.htm
    Its Solid State and does not care what is at either end of it, Yellow, Blue, or Red tops....

By the way it wont be connecting batteries in series(that will bump the voltage to 24V), is kinda like parallel but is not since each battery run a different circuit.

Me Im cheap... I went with the strongest dual purpose Blue top I could afford, keep the engine at about 2k when winching and call it a day.........

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1974 to 1983

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You for sure don't want to run them in series, it would fry everything on the Jeep. If you are going to run two batts with no isolator then they should be matched. If you run an isolator then the second batt would be best if it were deep cycle so when it is being drained it won't get ruined by being drained down too far. A normal starting batt won't last too long if it is regurly drained much below 12v. Well there are some choices for you to consider, have fun wheeling and have a Merry Christmas.
    I have not yet begun to fight. John Paul Jones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast