1990 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default going price for D44?

Anyone got a guestimate for the going price on a D44 rear axle for a TJ? I've been looking all over and finally found one local in very good shape, but it's $500. I'm regearing/locker anyway so what gears are in it don't really matter (but bonus if it's already got 4.88/locked!)

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$500 sounds about right if it's in good working order and doesn't need a rebuild.
    Stock rear rubi 44's go from $800 to $1000 depending on the location, and that includes a locker.... so $500 sounds about right.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the last few i looked at for stock 44's were anywhere from $250 with brakes to $1100. this is for stock D44 drum brakes, stock gearing.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, you can pick up a "real" D44 from a scout and buy brackets for $135 for the same price, if you have a welder. theres a few issues with the thin tubes on the TJ D44 if you use it hard.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prices are all over depending upon cond and options....disk brakes, drums, shafts etc.

I pick them up from time to time. Just sold a front, JK Rubicon d 44, bare housing...$400

Set of TJ rubicon d44 complete disk brakes, lockers steering gear, shocks...$3200 + $300 to install the pair.

Were I u I would go for a bare housing unless you need the disk brakes. Do your own build out from there using Warn shafts and a Rubi locker or an ARB. Rubi locker for <35 tires, ARB >35 but not more than 37.

Jeep 44 will handle up to 37 unless u wear a brick for a shoe, if so then look to the Scout axle as said.
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SavageSun4x4 View Post
    Jeep 44 will handle up to 37 unless u wear a brick for a shoe, if so then look to the Scout axle as said.
    not a brick, but a few inches of air will toast one VERY quickly as well. a few hard flexes over large obstacles made the stock tubes pull out of the center section.

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$500 for a TJ D44 bolt in is a great price. I challenge you to buy any axle and build it to go into a TJ for less
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 91YEEPER View Post
    not a brick, but a few inches of air will toast one VERY quickly as well. a few hard flexes over large obstacles made the stock tubes pull out of the center section.
    Yep guess I should have said there are 2 things that will break it and they are bricks and air...that said big enoug brick or enough air any you can break any axle.

Pulling tubes. Yea seen few, very few and I really put the blame on a poor or dirty tube to housing connection. While big flex and bigger rocks may have helped the root cause was a poor OEM set up.

Someone is going to say weld it...DO NOT!!!!!!!!!!

WHY? Due to typing 1 finger style on my iPad I will not go into my usual in depth explanation. So briefly. Tube is mild steel, housing is cast steel, they do not weld well, due to extreme differences in thermal conductivity.

Well I looked at my Dana axle and I see where it's been welded!!!! Yes you do axle breath...Axle manuf weld them and shove them in an oven dor a controlled cool down over about 24 hrs.

I have done some MINOR welding on the cast to steel. It does NOT take a great welder, it's HOW you weld it!!!

Ask me before you or some Joe Shit D'Ragman 4x4 and stomach pump room launches into it. I can give you some tips on how you might possibly be successful but NO guarantee.
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every axle I have ever built thats not welded at the houseing is welded now and I never had issues. Big Key is PREHEAT the Cast and POST HEAT the Cast. Whats that mean? heat the cast with a torch to bring it up to a good Temp, weld it, (use a 1" or so stich weld and cross each weld. Weld one side about an inch, go directly across weld the other side about an inch then go 90* and repeat until complete. Post heat, reapply touch and allow to cool, tourch is cooler than welder. After a few minutes of post heat, allow to cool
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    $500 for a TJ D44 bolt in is a great price. I challenge you to buy any axle and build it to go into a TJ for less
    i recently built a 9" narrowed to 67" wms for around $500. junkyard axle with BB ends/nodular 3rd/31 spline for $65 on a rainy day sale, used 4.56's for $75 on pirate, full spool $100, 31 spline 10 factory shafts $110, drums brakes rebuilt $60, amsoil $50, TJ brackets from poly $135.

total cost installed was under a grand for me to install it. end product was just over $500.

if you shop around and be patient deals will come around. i have less than $1k in to my 609, 35 spline throughout and ctm's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast