1995 to 2013

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A couple of stupid questions.

Ok so I was working with my son the other day and he asked a couple questions about driving the Jeep. Unfortunately, I looked like an @ss blinking into space because I suddenly realized I had no good answer for him. It was the way I had been taught and I really don't know the why's of it.

1. If you are in too high of a gear (5 speed) and the engine starts to bog why is this bad? What can happen to the engine if you run it in the wrong gear like that?

2. (I am in a cast so I can't use the clutch very well) Is it really bad to shift without using the clutch? What will happen to the transmission? (I usually don't grind the gears much. I usually am able to hit it without grinding).
    Just because the road stops doesn't mean you have to!

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shifting without a clutch can be bad. even with it shifting smoothly and not grinding it causes side loads and thrust issues on the synchro's, bearings, and shafts. depending on year of jeep the AX15's are notorious for killing synchro's with using the clutch let alone without.

bogging down an engine really bad can cause plugs to foul, schitty mileage, and leave tons of deposits all over the internals of the motor.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 91YEEPER View Post
    shifting without a clutch can be bad. even with it shifting smoothly and not grinding it causes side loads and thrust issues on the synchro's, bearings, and shafts. depending on year of jeep the AX15's are notorious for killing synchro's with using the clutch let alone without.

bogging down an engine really bad can cause plugs to foul, schitty mileage, and leave tons of deposits all over the internals of the motor.

Good answeres, but I have heard that 18 wheelers do not use the clutch to shift so I don't know. Second answere is right on.
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2007 to 2010

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is a range of rpms that the trans is synced perfectly and no clutch is needed that is how i drag race my gto i never use the clutch i set the shift light for the sweet spot and just rip it into gear
    Rocks to a Jeep are like crack to an addict

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailsnail View Post
    Anything can be fixed with enough redneckery.

She-Jeeping Jarhead LeafspringMARINE's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

18 wheelers use a double clutch... unless something has changed.
    Meghan - MY KID CAN PICK OFF YOUR HONORS STUDENT AT A CLICK AND A HALF !
    • Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
      Ronald Reagan

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like both styles are activly used.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/15349
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric

Now What?

Branch
    Air National Guard
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1985 to 2007

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no clue of the mechanics of it, but I've been told if one can shift a vehicle with a single movement of the clutch, do that, cuz if you're not good enough you will wreck the syncros.

If the syncros are already shot, then you will need to shift without clutch or double clutch, cuz the boss is not spending any money on syncros! If you can't double clutch or shift without it, then you'll have to get a newbie on your crew who can and tell him/her it is time for driver's training when you have to drive the reserve rig... (Well, that is what they did to me when I was the newbie...)
    Minnesota National Guard
    ARNG 85-00 / ANG 01-07
    --31C;19K-- / ---3E7---

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by airforce26yrs View Post
    Good answeres, but I have heard that 18 wheelers do not use the clutch to shift so I don't know. Second answere is right on.
    thats a completely different animal as they utilize clutch brakes, straight cut gears, and design from engineers that allow this.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead1985 View Post
    there is a range of rpms that the trans is synced perfectly and no clutch is needed that is how i drag race my gto i never use the clutch i set the shift light for the sweet spot and just rip it into gear
    this is the worst schit i have ever heard of for the T56. ive ran the tremac in a few different vehicles and have only heard of issues and destruction for that specific trans with a life like this.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to 2013

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so...shifting without a clutch with an AX15: Bad idea cause it will damage the syncros.

Bogging down the engine in too high a gear makes for schitty mileage, fouled plugs, and all sorts of junk gunking up the engine.

Soooooo....I should stick to driving the (gags) minivan until I get this frakkin cast off, and when I do drive the Heep keep it in the right gear.

Have I got a handle on it now?
    Just because the road stops doesn't mean you have to!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast