Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

itll be ridiculously tall. especially if youre talking about top loaders. ive seen a few on pirate and there were all monsters. huge as schit.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Peterson AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go with a 14b/60 be ready to invest like 10k though. I just asked that question on MC and JF.
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    I am officially a Huge Steeler's Fan!
    97 ZJ Murdered Out! (SOLD ), 5.5" Clayton L/A's front and rear, 242 swap, HP30 & 8.8 w/ 4.88's & Eaton ELocker's F/R, 35" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with Kevlar.

Grand Cherokee Owners
    http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...php?groupid=44

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can do the work yourself, and do it at home rather than storing at the hobby shop, you shouldn't be anywhere near 10k. We did a 14/60 swap in a blazer (yes I know, it's different) but it still wasn't even 2k.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Assassin View Post
    Go with a 14b/60 be ready to invest like 10k though. I just asked that question on MC and JF.
    i did built tons under an XJ with rear links for just under 5k out the door for a guy. 10? what are you buying? new portal teks, dynatracks, spiders?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2008 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Assassin View Post
    That is the other option ive been looking at 14/60 swap with coilovers... I may already have rocks for a very small fee both complete and the rear has a detroit locker.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfire View Post
    That is the other option ive been looking at 14/60 swap with coilovers... I may already have rocks for a very small fee both complete and the rear has a detroit locker.
    i would just swap the rear detroit for 2 spools. sell off the rocks and go tons.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why?

That said your rig, your money, your pride of ride...

So before you make your choice perhaps some enlightenment is called for.

Generally speaking axles are rated by torque capacity any weigut capacity.

Torque capacity is applied torque. Ring and pinion, axle shafts, tubes, diff housing etc. Apply 100 lbs of torque, go thru a series of gear sets and suddenly you have 300 lns of torque. Note this gets very complicated and it's not the point I am wanting to make. But if you ask I will elaborate.

Take away. Weight capacity is another ballgame. This does not include axle shafts, ring, pinion, etc. It's just the housing and bearing sets.. Let me address this'and get it out of the way... Heard a guy talking about the axles he just ordered. And in a move to impress he bragged he had gone full floaters. Impressed? I was not. What do full floaters do? Simple, give the housing the ability to handle more weight.. Yes it makes them stronger but it's the housing it makes stronger, so to speak.

This takes us to the heart of th matter. Where do you find rockwells? Under military hd trucks. Weight is five tons and beyond. Let me say that if your ZJ weighs in at then by all means grab them.

Rocks like other axles have another Serious drawback...Weight! Weight is your enemy. Throw the Rock under you rig and better put some grunt in your engine and beef in your driveline.

What you are looking for does not exist...the free lunch.

However Rocks will give you more ooohs and ahhs as you slam 4 low and climb the curb at your local Sonic.

Want beef, bang for buck and the best COMPRIMISE for an axle set under serious Jeep that challenges 4+ rated trails and wins. Then it's built d 60/70... I also believe Dynatrac makes the best there is outside od exotics. Note. I am a dealer for Dynatrac, my Jeepis in their catalog and has been for several years.

In anticipation of... Ford 9 inch. Good idea? No not IMO. Why? Just not a HD axle. A good built serious Jeep, trail ready, full tank,spares and tools is a 5000 lb rig. This is outside the capacity of the axle set. YES you can build them out, truss them,brace them to get there. Then why not go D 60/70 to begin with? Note the ford nine sets under a lot of drag cars and comp off road buggys...if you have read this far then you know the answer....WEIGHT! Low weight + high HP and torque = ford nine...

I have the Dana weight and torque charts on my website if anyone wants to know.

Movers come Sat to deliver HHG and soon I will be on my computer, off my 1 finger iPad...
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How large of tires do you want to run?
    Will you ever drive it on the street again? If yes, I say skip the rocks.... shave down a 14b and throw a 60 up front.