Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wierd noise coming from the radiator fan

I have a 04 TJ and the other day I started to notice a weird squeaking noise coming from the engine compartment. I had a friend rev the engine with me listening to it and noticed it coming from the front portion of the engine. I turned off the engine and checked my belt but it is fine, good tension and all. Then started to turn the fan and it is way too tight. I believe it should be able to spin freely? I am thinking that it could be the fan clutch going bad or the fan bearings. Either way I know I'm going to have to take it apart to find out which one. My question is which one should I have parts ready for when I take the fan off, the bearings or the clutch. Is there some kind of test I can do to find out exactly which of the two has gone bad or should I be ready for both and possible buy all the parts? It's not like I have a lot of money to throw at the jeep right now and would like to be able to fix the problem without fixing something that doesn’t need fixing.
    If you don't get stuck, or brake anything, your not having fun!!! Keep it rubber side down

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1968

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best way to check for noise is with a mechanic stetoscope.
    It could be the idler bearing/alt bearing etc etc.
    If you don't give up---You will never fail.

8th Combat Engineers (Sapper) (Vietnam 66)

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to the fan not free spinning...isn't it suppose to spin freely by hand. When I go to spin it it turns the input shaft which I think isn't supose to happen. Hence frozen fan bearings or a clutch that isn't disengaging, right?
    If you don't get stuck, or brake anything, your not having fun!!! Keep it rubber side down

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not it should turn with quite abit of resistance.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, it should turn both ways without turning anything else, not freely, there should be some resistance. If turning the fan turns the pulley, I would replace the fan clutch. I just did it on mine cuz my fan was free spinning and had lots of play in it. New fan clutch was like $42 at Advance. I did it at a shop on post and they had a pneumatic tool cleverly called "fan clutch removal tool". It was a lifesaver, I don't know how I would have got that's thing off otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredmcvay View Post
    I think we look at ourselves more like a combination of a motorcycle gang and a pack of angry, wild beavers. We are a total package!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rubitron View Post
    Yeah, it should turn both ways without turning anything else, not freely, there should be some resistance. If turning the fan turns the pulley, I would replace the fan clutch. I just did it on mine cuz my fan was free spinning and had lots of play in it. New fan clutch was like $42 at Advance. I did it at a shop on post and they had a pneumatic tool cleverly called "fan clutch removal tool". It was a lifesaver, I don't know how I would have got that's thing off otherwise.
    well if you would have used your manly hands and stopped wearing that pink skirt.

just sayin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Assassin View Post
    I'd jump all ovet that waggy!!!
    If I offend anyone tonight, I apologize. That's not my intention. I'm not going to guess what your personal line of decency is. I cross my own from time to time. It's how I know I still have one. not that i actually cared in the first place.

"Cougar or not, I'd bang both those broads like a f***ing retard with a tambourine in each hand"

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the extra info I did a little researching too and believe I will be replacing the fan clutch. I did though spray some BP Blaster where the fan/clutch meets the water pump shaft last night and it no longer makes the weird noise and I did it again tonight for hopefully a quick fix till I can get some money/time to get a clutch put in. Once again thank you

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One question, was it at normal operating temp when you were trying to turn it? A fan clutch will "free spin" when cold, but as engine temp rises the clutch engages to turn the fan at full speed. Another thing you can try is to pull the belt off and spin all the pulleys by hand to see if you can hear anything with out the noise of the engine, and you will also be able to feel it in the pulley if the bearing is bad.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

I don't always go full retard, but when I do I take the Jeep...

Money can't buy Happiness, But it can buy BACON, close enough!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead1985 View Post
    i think i r druck and will rechecck in the morning

___/l ,[____],
    l----------L OllllllO-
    ()_)-----()_)-o-)_)

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well now I know it's the fan...I went to move it again yesterday after putting some more BP on it and it is now able to move forward and aft. I've seen this on a YouTube video where the guy grabs his fan with the engine off of course and just wobbles it.

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I fixed it, had to use a used fan clutch off an old GMC Jimmy for the time being seeing as how Kodiak AK doesn’t have a fan clutch on island and I had doubts about driving for a week with the thing all wobbling around in the engine compartment. Used a 15" crescent and a rubber mallet with a few good wacks it broke free the attachment bolt somewhat easily. Will be swapping out the Jimmy clutch when my new one gets in next week...she runs like a champ again without any weird noise from the engine. Once again thanks for all the info, I am proud to be a military jeeper’s member with good people on board