Served
    Served
    2007 to 2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Heater Blower

Ok, so I have a 1997 ZJ with the 4.0. My blower will occasionally decide that it wants to turn on, but generally I just freeze my balls off. After work today I pulled the motor, tested it, it worked. Put a voltmeter to the resistor, at this point my battery was dying so it read slightly low, but the resistor was working (not that it would even matter on high anyway). While I was flipping through my service manual, my boss said that he was getting power from both positive and negative. But I didn't check myself so I'm not sure if that's the case. Someone please help me fix my heat! It's getting cold in Wisconsin.

I am a chapter of one sincitycj's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1989

Closest Installation

Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If your motor is working and the resistor is reading good, the issue could be with the switch itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    went to google to see if I too was a dumb ass!!! Well actually I am.

http://www.sincityrubs.com/

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2000

Closest Installation

Schofield Barracks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why are you getting power from both pos and neg? confirm that and then check circuit and find where power is coming from

Branch
    Marine Corps Reserves
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2007 to 2013

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, I should mention that I'm electrically impaired. I'm basically learning vehicle wiring as I go here. A new idea popped into my head, possibly checking to see if the resistance is too high in my current motor, and then check what it should be in a new one. If the resistance is too high, it may not be able to actually work (correct me if I'm wrong here). What could cause me to get power from both positive and negative? So it's narrowed down to possibly the switch, possibly a short circuit or possibly that the resistance in the motor is somehow too high. Is that correct? So to narrow down the location of a short, should I just use a jumper wire from different spots between the blower motor and the fuse? That should give me a general area I think. And then for the switch I would just jump from where power runs to the switch straight to where it runs out from the switch, just bypassing the switch completely? Thanks for the help!