Served
    1994 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Standard >< Auto while offroad

Hey everyone,
    I am in the market for a second Jeep and I am finding more Standard transmission Jeeps then auto. Currently I have an auto and that is what I have been looking for.

I am looking for opinions on the diffence while offroading?

I can and have driven Standard Trans, but enjoy the lazyness of an auto.

I am in the market for an 04-06 LJ Rubicon.
    KJ Willy
    06 Dodge 2500 Diesel Tow Rig

06 TJ Rubicon
    Modded

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i prefer the control of a manual, BUT with the normal abuse i give my vehicles the 999 and 32rh have held up tons better than the 3550/ax15's that ive ran. the only trans i could keep together behind my turbo stroker was a 32rh.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have no problems at all with my nsg370 its a very strong tranny and i love rowing through gears and on the trail i just put it in first and let her iddle over everything
    Web Wheeling Sucks!

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1991

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it is worth, I had a standard CJ7 when stationed in New Mexico and wheeled the mountains around Alamogordo. There were a couple of times that I wished that I had an automatic, trying to hold the brake and clutch at the same time when taking off on a steep uphill grade gets dicey. That said, I would still like to have a standard again because I like shifting and do not wheel very much because of wqhere I live.
    I'm Mike, make sure you spell it right, because I do not want to get the wrong A$$hole in trouble.

If you do not have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time do do it over?

www.jeepforum.com michiganmaveric

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I try to stay off the really big rocks, but I've had a lot of fun with a manual off road. For mountain DDing it gives a lot more control on the descent end of things, too. Going uphill I don't really care either way, but coming down I'll go with the manual.
    Keep it slow. I can't afford spare parts.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Knox
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hand throttle will completely eliminate the trouble of a Manuel on uphill takeoffs! I have had both and love my Auto on the tight trail in Ky.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a purist and a "gear" head. Jeeps and Corvettes must have manual transmissions. I have been rowing my own since I could drive and living in a mountain state, I love the downhill control a MT can afford. One of my buddies on this forum is talking nonsense that after he gets back from his current desert TCS, he'll autofy his Jeep. I calmly told him that if everybody could rock crawl (that's what we do here in Colorado) with a MT, then it couldn't be called a skill. My current ride has the NSG370 6 speed and I love it: deep first gear crawl ratio and close ratios between the other gears allow me to pick the right one in every situation. I would allow that if you were building an extreme buggy, then an AT would probably be the way to go. Otherwise, go with the 3 pedal setup.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ColoFreeJeeper View Post
    I'm a purist and a "gear" head. Jeeps and Corvettes must have manual transmissions. I have been rowing my own since I could drive and living in a mountain state, I love the downhill control a MT can afford. One of my buddies on this forum is talking nonsense that after he gets back from his current desert TCS, he'll autofy his Jeep. I calmly told him that if everybody could rock crawl (that's what we do here in Colorado) with a MT, then it couldn't be called a skill. My current ride has the NSG370 6 speed and I love it: deep first gear crawl ratio and close ratios between the other gears allow me to pick the right one in every situation. I would allow that if you were building an extreme buggy, then an AT would probably be the way to go. Otherwise, go with the 3 pedal setup.

have you ever driven a vehicle with a built TH350? manual hold on 1/2, reverse-manual valve body, manual lock up TC. i think its a helluva lot more fun than a manual when if comes to playing. when you start tripping it going into 2nd with an auto you know youve got something special...

*edit* with my last ls2/th400 it would overdrive the brakes with it in 4L. if i left the diffs unlocked it would sit and spin one front and one rear tire.

Vice President MJCS simple88wrangler's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ColoFreeJeeper View Post
    Yeah yeah yeah Jason......you got me. Yes I swapping in a aw4 auto in my YJ when I get back from this trip. I want the auto the fact I would have more contraol on the rocks. Yes it will have it draw backs also, but everything has some pro and its cons!
    /l ,[____],
    l---L []llllll[]-
    ()_)-()_)-o-)_) 1988 YJ W/4.0HO, AW4 swap with Rad Shifter, Waggy & Isuzu 44's, Eaton E-Lockers, 5.13 gears, 37" KM2's, Front 3 link with FOA 16 inch coilovers, rear triangulated 4 link w stock TJ coils, WB stretched to 103", Currie anti-rock sway bar, custom highline tube fenders, Rear aluminum crusher corners, Poison Spyder rocker knockers, TNT rear bumper and tire carrier.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 91YEEPER View Post
    have you ever driven a vehicle with a built TH350? manual hold on 1/2, reverse-manual valve body, manual lock up TC. i think its a helluva lot more fun than a manual when if comes to playing. when you start tripping it going into 2nd with an auto you know youve got something special...

*edit* with my last ls2/th400 it would overdrive the brakes with it in 4L. if i left the diffs unlocked it would sit and spin one front and one rear tire.
    Yes, in my drag car I had. When it comes to bracket racing, you can't beat an AT. I had a really built TH350 and a 'Glide because they had a lighter rotating mass than a TH400.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast