1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CJ5 barke lines

got CJ5 it needs brake lines for a 4" lift rear and front are too short. Looked at 4wd they are $100. thought maybe there is a better and even less expensive way?

Brakes and axles, d30 disc, d20 drum and parking brake cables need to be longer.
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Andrews AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use the stock lines they can be modded to work. I run a 5" of lift with stock lines and I even run revolvers on the rear. Here's the ticket to the front from a write up I did on this:

I see alot of folks going to extended brake lines on rigs when they are really not needed in alot of cases. Lines too long can get pinched and cause more issues. Braided steel lines are even more easily damaged when pinched or over flexed, rubber takes more abuse. Here's a solution I used on my CJ-7, it's free, and works good to 5" of lift. The stock routing of the brake lines routes the steel line through the center of the frame, the hose clips to a steel "L" shaped bracked bolted to the frame rail with 2 bolts. The fix for 3-4" of slack is remove the rubber hose from the steel line, unbolt the bracket from the frame and flatten the bracket out. Push the steel line through the back of the frame and route it to the bottom of the rail, attach the flat bracket to one of the org mount holes with one bolt and reconnect the hoses. You may have to bend the steel section of line on the caliper for maximum length and clearence. My CJ has been this way since 98 so it's long term test is a A+ and the price is great lol. I also did this to my YJ that was SOA and it worked well to. Onto the pics:
    Stock:

Re-routed (note my rig is 5" over stock and those are stock brake lines)

100_1362.jpg

From the front:

100_1363.jpg

I have a fix for the rear too, it is good even with my Revolver shackles. I got to get y'all some pics before I can write that up.
    HighlanderCJ-7

If you don't stand behind our troops,
    Feel free to stand in front of them!

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sweet thanks
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Andrews AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the rear hose it look like this stock:

cjrear.jpg

What to do is get a stock CK mirror mount (or make a piece of flat steel look similar) I had some SS brackets around so I used it:

miooromount.jpg
    Before you do any thing else loosen the two steel lines going into the rear brake hose on the axle. Next unbolt the bolt that holds the stock brake line to the CJ axle, the yellow arrow is pointing to it in the first pic. Slide a 3/8" nut over the bolt to take up the space of the brass brake line block and bolt the mirror bracket onto the axle through the red bolt hole above, with the yellow hole on the left (looking at the axle from behind as pictured) Then twist the brake line to the 12 o'clock position like this:

brakehose.jpg

Then run a bolt (I don't recall the size I used maybe 5/16" x 1") through the yellow hole in the mirror bracket and through the yellow hole in the brake line and attach the two together. Re-torque the steel lines and you will be good to go. Note on some CJ's the short IE right rear brake line may need replaced as it may not reach over to the new mount location, most have enough slack to be bent or unbent and reach over. I used a SS line kit on my CJ with stock rubber hoses all around and it alll works good.

This mod moves the line over closer to center of the axle aprox 2-3", that in it self puts the hose in alignment to make you need less length and rotating it to the 12 o'clock position gains you a couple more inches or line too. With a 5" lift and revolver shjackles I don't max out the hose under full extension of my suspension. Hope that helps ya and it's perdy much free or under $10.00 I will get actual pics of my rig and post up the finished product asap.
    HighlanderCJ-7

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Andrews AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for the parking brake cables. It depends on what axles you are using. I run wide trac axles. The stock right wide trac cable is plenty long enough for that size lift. I orginally went with 2 of them to make the driver side longer a lil too long so the game plan this go around is to use the right cable from a narrow trac axle on the left side of the wide trac axle it's long enough but not too long. You can get both of them and the front cable at NAPA or Advance Auto Parts.
    HighlanderCJ-7

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2007 to 2010

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for the brake lines also look at yj lines when my buddy blew a front line on his cj8 my stock fronts was the same lenght as his 4" extended ones
    Rocks to a Jeep are like crack to an addict

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailsnail View Post
    Anything can be fixed with enough redneckery.