Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Land Use Bill

http://www.startribune.com/sports/ou...oDEy3LGDiO7aiU

This is posted a few other places, but it is to important a topic for all of us to hide in the less read areas of this site.

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1993 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

News like that makes me shiver a bit. I'm not saying or suggesting that it is what's slowly happening, but it does go along the lines of some of the conspiracy websites one of our gun truck crews pointed me to while overseas that talked about establishing Wild Zones and Habitat Zones within the US and forced population relocation. I don't have the time today, but I'll dig up the links this weekend.

Either way, it sounds like they're trying to keep us and our vehicles from having fun, and once again by-passing the legal way to get results.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Red Dog that is only part of it. This will destroy whole communities, like Moab, Utah where they survive on folks coming to visit and then explore the area, but if it becomes wilderness than the gates will go up and you may only be able to access it on foot. I know what they say, you could still get there by horseback or mountain bike or other non-motorized means, but how are you going to get your horse or bike to the trail head? The other side of this is that it is the OHV users, clubs, etc, that spend the time and money to keep these area open, with out us they will wither away and die. I am all about shared, responsible use, but I don't trust politicians in Washington DC who have never been out here, could find any of the places on the map and have no clue on the impact this would have...oh and then there is the whole issue of closing off these areas to ranchers, farmers and the mining, oil and gas industries...but that's okay, we will all be driving a Prius and eating soy burgers soon anyways.

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1993 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly enough, out in this neck of the woods there's already been talk about closing the trails at our local nature center to bikes and possibly horses. The given reasoning is that that bikes present too much of a danger to hikers/equestrians due to the "high speed" in which they are ridden. I have yet to personally observe anyone pedaling faster than than a running pace, but I'm sure there was probably an incident at some point. The horses are disliked because a number of riders use the trails after the spring thaw or rains, and the hikers don't like the prints left in the trails after they dry out. They have the same complaint about tire tracks from the bikers. The whole one truly multi-use route that motorized traffic is allowed to use is being considered for non-motorized traffic only for some of the same arguments even though the majority of it is gravel. My only complaints are that all the groups want exclusive use, and the horses tend to leave large piles of stuff in the middle of the trail, which makes the bikers have to either stop and lift their rides over, or splatter on through. Were everyone to act responsible and truly share the trails it would make things a lot nicer.

Granted this is just on a county-level in the middle of no-where Iowa. As you pointed out, here the core support and maintenance of the trails comes from the volunteers with the local mountain biking club, which saves the county money as it doesn't have to pay employees to do the work. I can also think of at least half a dozen small towns in Minnesota along biking trails/rivers that generate a good income off of tourists who come for their chosen sport, but then like you said spend time/money exploring the area.

Having never been to any of the "big" areas like Moab I can't say how I'd get the trail head, but from what you've wrote I'm guessing it would be difficult if not impossible. If we ever do get to the point of Prius' and soy burgers, just take me behind the CONEX and shoot me 'cause I sure the hell ain't given up beef or my Jeep voluntarily. As far as politicians and trusting them, I always tell my kids when I catch them lying that God made an evil place for liars to go to and it's called Washington D.C.