User Tag List

Thread: rear tire carrier with floor mount jack?

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default rear tire carrier with floor mount jack?

i normally fab all my own stuff but am looking for something outside the normal box. im looking for a rear tire carrier/bumper if need be that will hold a 40" and a floor jack. floor jack is only 28lbs so im not too worried about it, but the tire rim combo is well over 200lbs. i know a pig.

for a later model TJ.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am running the bestop carrier and its a really good carrier but from what i can tell for anything 37+ to get it to hold up you need to put a brace plate on the inside of the tail gate the tire wheel combo for those big of meats is just too much i think for any normal carrier
    Web Wheeling Sucks!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

With the weight of the tire/wheel you do run the risk of blowing out your "O" ring. I am still wondering about modifying the set up that the HummmmVeeeeee uses. It surprisingly does a decent job of holding the set up and you can use the ratcheting method to raise and lower it without killing yourself. Don't remember the company that makes it for the military and doubt it would be available for a TJ but its worth a thought. Still means making your own but...?

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdreamer View Post
    With the weight of the tire/wheel you do run the risk of blowing out your "O" ring. I am still wondering about modifying the set up that the HummmmVeeeeee uses. It surprisingly does a decent job of holding the set up and you can use the ratcheting method to raise and lower it without killing yourself. Don't remember the company that makes it for the military and doubt it would be available for a TJ but its worth a thought. Still means making your own but...?

i would never run one again that uses a trailer spindle to support the swinging part. thats just garbage with heavy use. im looking for one that uses poly bushings on a pedestal type mount.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1984 to 1988

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 91YEEPER View Post
    i would never run one again that uses a trailer spindle to support the swinging part. thats just garbage with heavy use. im looking for one that uses poly bushings on a pedestal type mount.
    AtoZ Fabrication sells a nice heavy-duty hinge. Uses bearings, not bushings, and it's definitely not a trailer spindle unit.
    '93 YJ, SOA, 35s, locked front & rear
    '99 Ram tow machine, 5.9 Cummins

Wheelin requires wrenchin Doppler's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2010

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give Mike a call, talk to him about custom fit for the size tire you want.

http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/rear_tj.html

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an older-model Wilderness swingout spare tire carrier on my TJ. I really like it, secures well with no rattle. I have a high lift off to the side of the tire, don't know where on this specific configuration you're mount a floor jack, there is a bar across the top that I put a shovel on that might work. If this sounds like something you're looking for let me know and I'll post a pic.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 yeeper...man you have some great ideas...hilifts suck..floor jack safer and better like a 3ton... Or an old school bottle jack that screws up with an oversized cresent wrench...Please keep us posted on what you do and share...damn it all these good ideas and not enough sick ass builld threads....lol

Fix it until it's broke CrazyHorse6's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean View Post
    AtoZ Fabrication sells a nice heavy-duty hinge. Uses bearings, not bushings, and it's definitely not a trailer spindle unit.

I built my carrier with this spindle and 2"x2" square tube - seems to be holding up well but there is slight amount of flex forward and back when the carrier is locked in. Large diameter steel would probably have been better but the spindle itself seems great.
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...