Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Help me help you + Give me 10

I enjoy helping out on a field problem and answer when I can and I am prone to write a tome discussing pro's, con's and whatever else I can toss in the mix to include an accordion lesson from time to time.

While not the only gear head on here and albeit I cannot speak for them I will provide some tips and advice on getting the quickest and best answer from me or anyone else for that matter. To that end here are some things you and I NEED to know:

1) Where do you live? State and town if its big enough to be known or just the side of the state, N, S, E, W. WHY? Rocks, mud, sand. Trust me, you build the jeep different for each type of challenge and this also tells me info about climate. Tell me you are overheating and you live in Fargo up in the Dakota's vs Phoenix, AZ, gives me insight into the advice I give to solve the issue.

2) Year, make model, trans, TC, axles, engine, OEM or after market. Why should I or anyone else waste posts and research time when we cannot even get the basics of your rig. Cannot tell you how many times over the years I have provided a link to my or another website, step by step instructions on 'how to' only to find out its not OEM.

3) Your rigs use: DD, OR only/trailer rig, combo OR and DD. Now I know whether or not you need to use it to get to work Mon or it will set on the trailer till you get to it.

4) How did you break it? Rocks, on the way to work or its broke Richard for on near a year and you have been wet nursing it and now its FUBAR

5) What state? FUBAR, SNAFU or ran fine till you pissed in the tank and now it won't start (I suggest you drink more alcohol so you will have something to piss or just stop drinking that damn lite beer).

6) While I don't provide answers for brownie points or stage appearances a simple thank you for ALL of the help or support posts is appreciated by all.

7) READ ALL the posts to prevent you from asking a question that an answer has already been provided.

8) SEARCH is your friend, here and Goggle. Please don't open your post by saying you searched but the search function is not working or failed to provide results. Or in fact any other excuse. Just launch into the issue, provide the data for US to begin helping and formulating answers. No question is a dumb question if you do not know the answer. Newbie or oldie I don't care I will not call you a dummy and if someone else does I personally wade in and drain the swamp.

9) Be sincere in your request, I can spot a fony in a heartbeat. If you need some emotional propping up or just want to jerk off then try 'DIAL A PRAYER' or 900 EAT SHIT respectively, I suspect you will get more there than here anyhow.

10) Finally: If you want to thank ME outside of cash, check or Money Orders. I like to know what and how you solved the issue, what worked, what did not, thats better than cash, well OK not always, but sounds good...

Thanks
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SavageSun4x4 View Post
    10) Finally: If you want to thank ME outside of cash, check or Money Orders. I like to know what and how you solved the issue, what worked, what did not, thats better than cash, well OK not always, but sounds good...

Thanks
    ^this. i hate searching for answers or info and find a dozen threads that match what im looking for but none have any answers.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, or reading thru 11 pages of discussion and 48 ways from Sunday on how to fix, none related to the other and no resolution. You feel like you wasted 3 hrs of your time or more.
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good post, don. I agree whole heartedly with pretty much all of your points.

I appreciate you (and others like you), sharing your knowledge with everyone here.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are welcome.

My exp with helping out is that its rare that any one answer solves the problem, generally a combo of several answers from many folks. It would be nice if any of us could log on and post 'turn the muffler bearings one quarter turn to the right and the power steering will work perfectly...I wish.

I do know there are many guys who NEED that Jeep to drive to work on Monday and they need a fix.
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com