2007 to 2010

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 609 rear axle

so i got a free full float dodge dana 60 and a free big bearing ford 9" and i want to cut them both up and make a 609 rear with a width of 63" i have every thing fingered out but axle shafts i will be running a 35 spline detriot and 5.13 gears and all the goodies i can't reuse the d60 shafts cause they are tapered and the 9" shafts are a semi float so what do i do
    Rocks to a Jeep are like crack to an addict

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailsnail View Post
    Anything can be fixed with enough redneckery.

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2007

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have custom shafts made would be my guess..
    project Road Kill
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDogSoldier View Post
    NOTHING good happens after 10pm, except in the bedroom.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Doolittle-Rural-Fire-Protection-District/170759052726

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 1989

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you wanting 8 lug full floating , or 5 lug semi floating. If your Dana 60 has 30 spline axles(most did), and you are planning on keeping the full floating option then you will have to have the spindles reamed out to clear the 35 spline shafts. Moser Engineering can make axle shafts to whatever length you want.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple answer is new shafts. I agree with dseevers, do you want full float or semi? That said where is your pocketbook. You don't need full float if that makes a diff?? It adds little your set up. Therefore I am thinking it may be a bit cheaper and simpler to run with semi float, 35 splines.

Do you plan on using the Ford 9 carrier, D 60 tubes/bearing sets?

I am a little fuzzy on what YOU mean on a 609 setup? Are you building along the lines of a Spidertrax Hi 9?
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2007 to 2010

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SavageSun4x4 View Post
    Simple answer is new shafts. I agree with dseevers, do you want full float or semi? That said where is your pocketbook. You don't need full float if that makes a diff?? It adds little your set up. Therefore I am thinking it may be a bit cheaper and simpler to run with semi float, 35 splines.

Do you plan on using the Ford 9 carrier, D 60 tubes/bearing sets?

I am a little fuzzy on what YOU mean on a 609 setup? Are you building along the lines of a Spidertrax Hi 9?
    yes i guess

i am going 6 lug full float ford 9" with dodge outers and ford 9" 3rd member and housing

i am right now welding holes up the old hub and redrilling to 6 on 5.5" and i will be making the axle shafts the same lenght and having a slightly offset pinion

my next question is does any one know if there is a company that makes a flange that will accept a splinned shaft that will bolt to my dodge outers

and as soon as i get another free 9" i will start a 44 9 front same concept just chevy d44 outers instead of the dodge d60
    Last edited by gearhead1985; 01-12-2011 at 20:09. Reason: added more stuff

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 1989

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

East Coast Gear Supply, and C&M Performance Machine both sell the flanges you seek for approx. $250.00/set. If I understand correctly you're going to have axles made, and then buy the flanges too. Just curious, why you don't just shorten the D60. I recently put one in my CJ7 that I had shortened to 58''. Moser will make new shafts for $365.00/set, and both axles shafts are the same length and the pinion is centered. Also the 9'' pinion rides a good bit lower in the diff. than the D60. Again, just curious. Either way, don't forget to ream the spindles to clear the larger shafts.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can buy 35 spline chromo shafts that you just cut to length for relatively cheap

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-969...ly-shafts.html

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2007 to 2010

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dseevers View Post
    East Coast Gear Supply, and C&M Performance Machine both sell the flanges you seek for approx. $250.00/set. If I understand correctly you're going to have axles made, and then buy the flanges too. Just curious, why you don't just shorten the D60. I recently put one in my CJ7 that I had shortened to 58''. Moser will make new shafts for $365.00/set, and both axles shafts are the same length and the pinion is centered. Also the 9'' pinion rides a good bit lower in the diff. than the D60. Again, just curious. Either way, don't forget to ream the spindles to clear the larger shafts.
    i am not going to shorted the 60 because it is a small pinion 60 and i want to do something differernt and this will also keep the weight down and the ground clearance up and i like how i can add a pinion guard to the 9" and i can have different gear setups ready to go all i got to do is just swap out the 3rd members front and rear (this is a long ways down the road) and since they are both free what am i out

the reason i am looking for the splined flange is so i order a stick of crome molly and i haxe the local machine shop cut and spline the ends so cheaper shafts i i start breaking them a lot

Quote Originally Posted by ckato4477 View Post
    you can buy 35 spline chromo shafts that you just cut to length for relatively cheap

http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-969...ly-shafts.html
    thanks for the link i have seen to many yukon shafts shear the splines off i am looking at these
    https://www.rcvperformance.com/store...products_id=53

me wanting parts like these is the reason my jeep eats $100 bill

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1987 to 1989

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool ! Good luck with your build.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2007 to 2010

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i found out it is cheaper to buy one than biuld i found one of these slightly used for $150 all i got to do is convert the bolt pattern to 6 lug

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/rear12f.htm

now i guess i need another 3rd member so i can make a matching front ford 9"