1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dealerships Cost Too Much

Rant on (Kinda): More like a retarded funny about Chrysler/Jeep. I made some phone calls to day to see how much it would be to get a new rear brake hose for my 04 TJ w/ disk brakes. I even provided the dealerships (I called a couple of them) with part numbers for what I was looking for. The part I need Jeep charges $486 for. Yes, that's right, $486 for a brake hose! Needless to say, I ordered it off of Quadratec for $22. And before anyone asks, it's the same part. Tried to go through Crown which was recommended to me, but you have to be a distributor to get an account with them. Thought I'd share the experience. Anyone else?
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup. And even between dealerships, parts prices can be wildly different. Interesting about Crown though. I ordered direct from them, but that was over a year and a half ago. Things may have changed since then. Crown Auto is the OEM supplier for Jeep.

I had a mini-rant about the same thing back in May 2009 in the 3rd paragraph in the link below. Prices shot through the roof right after the bailout. Notice how the prices have even gone up since then.

http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...ll=1#post86266

Edit: Just tried my login for Crown and yes, they've changed in that they only sell wholesale now. Bummer.
    Last edited by ColoFreeJeeper; 01-13-2011 at 19:17.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are ebay store that will sell crown with minimum mark up compared to dealer

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trailsnail View Post
    Rant on (Kinda): More like a retarded funny about Chrysler/Jeep. I made some phone calls to day to see how much it would be to get a new rear brake hose for my 04 TJ w/ disk brakes. I even provided the dealerships (I called a couple of them) with part numbers for what I was looking for. The part I need Jeep charges $486 for. Yes, that's right, $486 for a brake hose! Needless to say, I ordered it off of Quadratec for $22. And before anyone asks, it's the same part. Tried to go through Crown which was recommended to me, but you have to be a distributor to get an account with them. Thought I'd share the experience. Anyone else?
    Dealership do charge more, this is true but an item that is $486 one place and $22 seems to much. Is it the same part?
    I have gotten a brake line from the dealer for about $12 when the parts store charged about $9. For the $3 I got a break line that was the exact length need and bends in all the right places. The only difference I can find on the lines that ColoFree is showing than the ones I got is the additional hose at the end of the wire brake line.
    Hard to believe that little rubber hose could change the price that much but I suppose anything is possible.
    Last edited by Ross; 01-14-2011 at 10:01.
    "If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."
    Zig Ziglar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Dealership do charge more, this is true but an item that is $486 one place and $22 seems to much. Is it the same part?
    I have gotten a brake line from the dealer for about $12 when the parts store charged about $9. For the $3 I got a break line that was the exact length need and bends in all the right places. The only difference I can find on the lines that ColoFree is showing than the ones I got is the additional hose at the end of the wire brake line.
    Hard to believe that little rubber hose could change the price that much but I suppose anything is possible.
    Exact same part with the exact same part number as the dealership. Crown manufactures and supplies these hoses/lines to Jeep.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ColoFreeJeeper View Post
    Exact same part with the exact same part number as the dealership. Crown manufactures and supplies these hoses/lines to Jeep.

Damn, I just called the dealer. The guy said on the phone it is almost $450. The same part used to have a different part number and it had been about $20. They changed the part number, not the part, and raised the price over $400.00. That a big to jeep. I am building a Toyota next time.
    "If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time."
    Zig Ziglar

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

more than likely what happened instead of selling one individual hose.... they now have the entire brake line system (hard and soft) under the same number.
    They did the same thing with the vacuum hoses. All I needed was one small section and the rubber boot, all they could order was the entire system.
    Unit bearings were ridiculous as well, $300 a piece ($120 for spicer replacements at napa), and they wanted around $400 2 upper and 2 lower ball joints.

I usually bring in an invoice from napa for the same part to the dealership, then when they tell me the price I show them the papers. As long as everyone goes to dealerships to get their maintenance and repairs done, the cost of those parts will never come down.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to 2009

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffb_79 View Post
    more than likely what happened instead of selling one individual hose.... they now have the entire brake line system (hard and soft) under the same number.
    They did the same thing with the vacuum hoses. All I needed was one small section and the rubber boot, all they could order was the entire system.
    Unit bearings were ridiculous as well, $300 a piece ($120 for spicer replacements at napa), and they wanted around $400 2 upper and 2 lower ball joints.

I usually bring in an invoice from napa for the same part to the dealership, then when they tell me the price I show them the papers. As long as everyone goes to dealerships to get their maintenance and repairs done, the cost of those parts will never come down.
    Nope, it's just one piece and it's only the rear ones on rear disc brakes equipped TJs that are this high. Not a very common part, but critical if you want to convert to discs like me or damage yours like what happened to Sven. When I called the dealer a year and a half ago, they were $350 for the driver rear and $400 for the passenger rear. One year before that (before the bailout), they were $20 per side.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Ross

I am building a Toyota next time.
    dealer parts for the Taco are no better. a new R&P from the dealer is over 400. I got a junkyard t-case/front dif combo for about the same price as just the r&p from the dealer.

basically, they're all thieves.
    Keep it slow. I can't afford spare parts.

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2000

Closest Installation

Schofield Barracks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I worked at a Lincoln dealer in Tampa area. ALL dealerships will rip you aa new one in the price dept.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast