2006 to Present

Closest Installation

Mannheim
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Going to Alaska

I'm deployed now, but when I get back I'm supposed to be going to Alaska, I've heard that I'll probably need a core heater, if so, where do I get one, and how do I install it? Also, other than chains, what else should I get to keep me going in the cold?

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 1998

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have nothing of value to offer, but wanted to say I'm jealous...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shoot a pm to the people that posted on these threads to see if they know anything. Some are up there still and I am sure they can offer some good advice.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It all depends where in AK you are going. Anchorage you probably won't need anything. Fairbanks you will. There are plenty of shops that will put in a block heater for you. It is pretty simple, they usually just replace a freeze plug with a new on that has a little heating element (like 1 of those mug warmers) on the inside and plug on the outside that you just plug into standard 110v outlet. Another popular item is a "battery blanket". Basically just warms the battery making for easier starting.

Forget chains, get a second set of tires for winter with studs in them. Many places up there can put studs in just about any kind of tire out there.

Good luck, it is awesome country up there.

General advice for getting through the long dark winters is don't stay couped up in the house. Get out in the snow and have fun, wether wheeling, skiing or snow mobiling it will definately make it better.

Truck
    Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    Im in no position to. Mine doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by miljeep View Post
    Oh, thanks to Nate who stopped by tonight and helped a struggling old bald man pitch a tent.
    83 Scrambler, bought in 94...starting to rust away..."we can rebuild him" Now in pieces all over the garage
    82 Scrambler, bought in 05, chevy 305/TH350/NP205
    86 CUCV Maintanance truck w/12KW PTO driven generator & air compressor
    83 Scrambler-151/T176/D300...basically stock..possible restoration for DD duties

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Besides a block heater, I would also recommend a battery heater/blanket. Same kind of thing, a lot of places can and will install it. They will run the electric cord to the front for you so all you have to do is plug it in. At Wainwright and Eielson (by Fairbanks) the AAFES gas stations on base can install the thing that you will need. A standard first aid kit is good. Also, have a good flashlight and a heavy blanket or extra clothing. In Fairbanks, it can and does get to -40* and colder. When my wife and I left Fairbanks, we left at the beginning of February and it was -45*. We drove the 8+ hours through Denali National Park to Anchorage and it was +10*! The winters in Anchorage are much more mild. They get more snow, but the temps don't get as far below zero.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

I served...Now I Protect vwJarhead's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2002

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have nothing to add constructive except to say if you ever need someone to hunt with in AK, call me.....
    "You're making the wrong assumption that a Marine by himself is outnumbered"
    Gen Peter Pace, 28Jul06

1*
    RIP GySGT. Elia Fontecchio
    -America is not at war, The Marine Corps is at war. America is at the mall and Congress is out to lunch....

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never been to AK, but grew up in Vermont and was stationed at Ft. Drum for four years. The block heater will defiantly help like mentioned above. Get both, but if you have to go cheap and settle for one, get the block heater and make sure that you have a good battery. If you only get the block heater, and have to go to the field, just make sure someone is there to started it up every day to two and let it run for a while. If not, I would suggest removing the battery during your field time and just placing it inside of your room/house. Also go with snow tires they are worth the money, and don't get some that are too wide. ie. I have 33x12.5 on my jeep now, if I ever end up where there is snow like AK, I would changed them to 33x10 or something. They won't act as snowshoes, but if there is ice and light snow, they tend to put more weight in a smaller area and get better traction at the bottom.
    Last edited by trailsnail; 07-01-2008 at 10:50.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 1998

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vwJarhead View Post
    I have nothing to add constructive except to say if you ever need someone to hunt with in AK, call me.....
    I think we're on the same page here... Let's plan a road trip.... anyone else interested in a road trip to Alaska??

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2006 to Present

Closest Installation

Mannheim
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everybody that replied, I think I'll go with the block warmer for now, also I've been thinking that I'll get an Altima Yellow Top battery, I think it'll be better for all of the extra power going out, and I need a new battery anyway. Oh, and roadtrip sounds fun to me!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4ink View Post
    Besides a block heater, I would also recommend a battery heater/blanket. Same kind of thing, a lot of places can and will install it. They will run the electric cord to the front for you so all you have to do is plug it in. At Wainwright and Eielson (by Fairbanks) the AAFES gas stations on base can install the thing that you will need. A standard first aid kit is good. Also, have a good flashlight and a heavy blanket or extra clothing. In Fairbanks, it can and does get to -40* and colder. When my wife and I left Fairbanks, we left at the beginning of February and it was -45*. We drove the 8+ hours through Denali National Park to Anchorage and it was +10*! The winters in Anchorage are much more mild. They get more snow, but the temps don't get as far below zero.

Lived in Fairbanks for 3 years. Block heater is essential. Battery blanket not a bad idea either. You can go to a place off post and get it done for about $300 or to the auto shop on post and get it done for the pirce of the parts...about $150.

Ditto on the chains. Don't get them. Studs if you absoloutely have to have them. I never used them and I had all terrains on my ZJ. I ran in 4H during the winter and was fine.

Some people will tell you to put HEAT in your gas tank to keep fuel lines from freezing. You can, but I never did and was fine.

If you are planning on driving the ALCAN, get a copy of the Milepost. It breaks everything down on all the roads in AK (not many) by...you guessed it, each Milepost.

Get out of the house. Land up there is gorgeous. You never realize how small and insignificant you are until you stand next to a glacier...

Get on top of the housing there early. Living off post is more expensive than some people think. Best bet is to live on post.

Get yourself (and your family if you have one) enrolled for the Permanent Fund Dividend as soon as you can. I got $1200 per person ($4800) for my household last year just for being an AK resident.

When you head out on roadtrips in the cold, take your cold weather gear with you. You will get about 3-4 duffel bags worth of snivel gear when you get there. Hypothermia kicks in rather quick if you break down in the winter and it's -40 outside. Also make sure you have a way to start a fire.

I always carried a satellite phone with me (you can rent them from outfitter stores) when i went hunting/fishing/sightseeing in remote areas.

What unit are you headed to?
    "I rather be a rightwing nutjob than a left wing liberal with no nuts and no job"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast