1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Vilseck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Can someone break it down for me Barny style

To start off I m not very mechanically inclined. I am new to the entire Jeep experience but wanting to jump in and get schooled up.

while I was home on R&R I bought a 2011 JK Rubicon with the 3.8L and I have got a few of the extras. 18" wheels 35" pro comp AT tires, 2.5" mopar lift, new front bumper, winch, nurf bars, extra lights and a few other small things.

I am in Afghan land right now so when I have free time I have been reading several threads here on MJ and most of the tech stuff is like reading Greek to me. I keep seeing people talking about the gear ratios and things.

this is where i need advice. Do I need to do anything to the gearing? What are some things I can do to get more power?
    Big D
    2010 Wrangler JK Rubicon
    HHB, FA SQDN, 2 CR
    Vilseck, Germany

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if im not mistaken, the jk rubis still have the 4:10 gears so you're alright with 35s. you might be better off with 4:56s but you'll be fine with what you have. i have 35s and 4:10s and dont have any issues really.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Vilseck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have other questions not sure how to word them though. Looking for any info that will help. Do I need to upgrade the brakes? gears? should i get the high lift jack? etc

I only got to drive it for the two weeks while I was home but seemed to handle very well. Didn't do much off road but i did take her down to the river one afternoon and got her all wet and dirty. Was a lot of fun. Already missing it and wishing all the stuff wasn't so damn expensive online....or so easy to order... Thanks in advance for the advice!!
    Big D
    2010 Wrangler JK Rubicon
    HHB, FA SQDN, 2 CR
    Vilseck, Germany

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would say yes, get a hilift. as far as brakes go, if they work for you and are not a safety issue, stick with what you got. i am upgrading b/c tj's brakes suck with bigger than 33 inch tires. at least mine do. oh, and get a winch. its a very very useful tool to have. haha,
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Vilseck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks, already got the winch. Its not installed yet along with the bumper, extra lights, grill inserts, locking gas door, and a few other items. So if anyone is bored and in OK all the parts and Jeep are in a buddies garage...lol
    Big D
    2010 Wrangler JK Rubicon
    HHB, FA SQDN, 2 CR
    Vilseck, Germany

She-Jeeping Jarhead LeafspringMARINE's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by afjeep View Post
    ....... oh, and get a winch. its a very very useful tool to have. haha,
    He could always get a tow chain and some midgets instead!!
    Meghan - MY KID CAN PICK OFF YOUR HONORS STUDENT AT A CLICK AND A HALF !
    • Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
      Ronald Reagan

Wheelin requires wrenchin Doppler's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2010

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BigD76 View Post
    So if anyone is bored and in OK all the parts and Jeep are in a buddies garage...lol
    Where at in OK? You can PM me the info instead of public broadcast. Maybe a few of us could hook a brother up! Since you're new to the experience I would stay away formt the Hi-lift until you have time to run with some people that have them and learn to use it properly. As for the gears if you are running 35's I would recommend at least a 4.56 gear set. I own a TJ with the 4.0, but have driven a JK with stock tires and the 3.8 and it ran like a dog compared to mine. Other JK owners might offer a better opinion on this.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doppler View Post
    Where at in OK? You can PM me the info instead of public broadcast. Maybe a few of us could hook a brother up! Since you're new to the experience I would stay away formt the Hi-lift until you have time to run with some people that have them and learn to use it properly. As for the gears if you are running 35's I would recommend at least a 4.56 gear set. I own a TJ with the 4.0, but have driven a JK with stock tires and the 3.8 and it ran like a dog compared to mine. Other JK owners might offer a better opinion on this.
    He might be OK, as he has the Rubi, he should have the 4:1 LO in the T-case. If the engine is OK with power/milage on the Highway in HI range, you might not need gears.

I'm not real familiar with the new JK's. Got to drive one for 2 days in Moab, that had 4" lift and 33's, and loved it!

I'm not sure if it had gears done, and don't even know what the JK Rubi's come with for stock tire size. How much bigger is a 35" over stock?

Your best bet, is to do with the Jeep the same as doppler recommends with the Hi-Lift.

Get it out there with some other Jeepers, and wheel it! (once your back, of course) Not only will that give you experience, it will allow you to find what works for you, and what you may want to change down the road.

Your Jeep is one of the most capable off road rigs to ever come off a show room floor in it's stock form.

The best mod you can do to it right now, is a lot of seat time!

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeafspringMARINE View Post
    He could always get a tow chain and some midgets instead!!
    LMAO, now THAT'S funny.

yeah, i figure 4.56 would be better, i'm fine with my 4 10s for now so i figured a JK would be too at least for a while. but then mine's not a dd anymore either. hehe as for the hi lift, read up on the instructions and practice a little and get proficient. thats what i did. never had an issue. tryin to give him the benefit of the doubt on his abilities. lol

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Vilseck
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where at in OK?
    the jeep is in Fletcher right now, about 20 minutes outside of Lawton. all the parts are at my parents house in Marlow. He should have everything out at his house in the next week so if you are ever in the area i am sure he wouldnt mind some help hooking it all up. I will be home for about 30 days around July for block leave and plan to do some wheeling and camping somewhere while I am home before I ship it to Germany. I will definitely buy you a drink or two while I am home if you guys hook it up!
    Big D
    2010 Wrangler JK Rubicon
    HHB, FA SQDN, 2 CR
    Vilseck, Germany

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast