Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default HD your OEM Front JK bumper

A client came to me asking if I could design a front bumper that would protect the rather PRICEY ($2200 bucks) electric motor that drives the auto disconnect found on their Rental Fleet of Rubicons.

What they wanted was a bumper that would fit over the OEM front bumper sans the outer plastic covering*, add strength and protect the disconnect motor.

I said sure, let me see what I can come up with.

I have been working on it and this is what I have come up with.

I chose TP (traction plate) for the materials for 2 key reasons:
    1) TP is significantly stronger for the same thickness as steel and far more resistant to bending
    2) TP adds a high traction surface that I have facing outward and I did this specifically to provide traction against the chance of the Jeep going over a rock or stump.

The purpose behind the removal of the add on bumper is to allow them to have serious protection using the OEM bumper as a platform, and at resale or trade-in time just pull the HD-JK bumper off, put the plastic back on and bingo, you are now back to OEM...+ you transfer the HD-JK bumper to the newly purchased Jeep. Thus some big cost savings over the life cycle of the JK, which will most likely be around 7 - 10 years

I used 1/8 th tread plate on the top and front and 3/16th on the bottom skid. This is a simple fab job that you can knock out in a short afternoon for your JK. I have also built this out for a few customers that wanted a low cost solution to a HD bumper and just did not want to spend the major $ some front bumpers cost.

.attachment-2.jpgattachment-3.jpgattachment.jpgattachment-1.jpg

Here is another one I made for a client that did not want the tread plate look and wanted the ends cut off rock crawler style.

29012009067.jpg

* NOTE you do need to cut off the two 'horns' that are on the front bumpers. You can weld them back on later if wanted.
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1980 to 2003

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am in the process of doing the same thin to my JK. I just don't like the prices of all the bumper, so took the cover off, used part of another one to use the factory fog lights, bolt on D-ring shackles, and D-rings. I now need to make a winch plate, since I cut the plastic crap off.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great, glad to hear it. If you have a set of the OEM rockers like on the Rubicons or some of the other JKs, I will post up how I mod them. Those can be setup to handle just about anything you can throw at them. I convert them from a 3 point to a 6 point attachment. Another buck saver if you have a welder.
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Lee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wyo would like to see pictures when you do I've been thinking about something similar

Savage thanks for the info
    LEIGH
    07 JK UNLIMITED
    RICHMOND VA

If you can see the big picture your not concentrating on your front sight post