2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 05-06 4.0 Problem, others also

I know this topic was mentioned here and that's what got me looking a few weeks ago. After reading over 200 pages on Jeep Forum and Rubicon Owners Forum I thought I should share the information I learned.

For 05-06 4.0 owners this whole article applies to you. For all other 4.0 owners the sections on engine oil apply.

-All 4.0 Owners: I know there is some debate as to the oil but read it all and do some independent research yourself, you may be suprised.

-05-06 Owners: This is not an isolated event, there is a TSB concerning some models but the problem seems to be specific to the part.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/20...ilure-1144202/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Green, I tried to get thru this and its late, I am tired and been drinking some wine with dinner so I am no doubt missing something...and not sure I can sort this all out. The main thread of which has a LOT 'O LINKS and post counts that runs well into a 1000. I know but its getting late and I need to wash my hair on Thursday so not sure I can get to all of it.

What I sense is a very small issue + fear mongering = lots of threads and posts.

I have owned (NEW) TJ's: '97, '99, 2000, 2001, 2003 and a 2006.

NONE of them broke on me nor do I know anyone who this has happened to. And at one time or another I have been a member of most Jeep forums at the state (to include the LSJ going back a lot of years) and national level and this is the first I have heard of it and Jeep cannot justify a recall on a $150 part.

Again, no doubt I am missing something, got a lot of smoke in my eyes from my BBQ tonite is there a Readers Digest version of this, I would like to file it so I can help someone out if the issue crops up...Thanks.

I think the orginial poster has done yeoman's service, but spread out over a 1000 posts and links all over the place of which several are 404.

At least he didn't get on there and spread the word that Corvette muffler bearings, which are a direct fit for your Jeep, double your HP and torque, and get better MPG...sounds like NoBama Care almost...
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What it comes down to is the OPDA (Oil Pump Drive Assembly) was changed for the 05-06 model year. Designs were changed and the current part gets little to no lubrication. Though it appears there was a factory port, within a short time that becomes clogged and gears start a very rapid detoriation. Several engines have seized due to no lubrication. Most just report a howling monkey or angry chirping bird sound until it is either fixed or camshaft gets enough play engine goes into a safe mode limiting revs to 2500 RPMs. Chrysler issued a TSB for some models between 05-06 but owners have reported the problem for parts and engines made both before and after the TSB effective dates. Even some of the "revised" parts have failed due to the same apparent design. A few guys have had good luck with replacing the part and installing a zerk to insure the parts are greased. So far they only have a few thousand miles on the mod but it appears to be working more effectively. There is still some discussion as to why this is happening only on the the 05-06 models but through trial and error is appears it is the lack of lubrication with the new design.

The OPDA seems to be several thousand Jeeps. And considering that we are only talking two model years and Chrysler has already partially acknowledged the problem, I wouldn't quite classify it as a small fear-mongering problem. I'm not trying to scare anyone, just want everyone to know the possible issues out there.

As to the oil, the discussion mentions how our flat tappet cams seem to prefer an oil high in ZDDP. Take that for what you will but there is enough information out there, between Jeeps and vintage and old hot rods, that our engines just don't perform as well with oil made for newer design engines. At the least, it's the same money just a little more effort to find the right stuff.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2005 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok , about the " Oil " a few oil changes back I Switched my oil from Reg 10W30 to 10w30 synthetic Blend ... was that a good thing or a bad thing for my Jeep . I Have a 97 Jeep TJ 4.0 . I asked around before I did it to make sure it wouldn't hurt it , everyone said it would be good for it . I did it so I could prolong the life of my engine as long as I could , I give my jeep hell , so I do what I can to help it handle it better .

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its not fear mongering. I posted in the prior thread on Military Jeepers about this problem.

The CPS, Cam, and lifters in my 2005 LJ were all replaced under warrenty in early 2009 because they self destructed with less than 40,000 miles on the engine. The Jeep got the oil changed at 3,000 miles or less. Sometimes I was doing other things and changed the oil at 1500 or 2000 miles.

I was using Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic. I switched to high ZDDP Shell Rotella T that we use in the Rescue truck diesel engines in both the LJ and the high mileage Comanche. Bolth Jeeps seem to run fine on it and the Comanche seems to run better than before. Ill look into that racing oil in the post.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WRIGHT442 View Post
    Ok , about the " Oil " a few oil changes back I Switched my oil from Reg 10W30 to 10w30 synthetic Blend ... was that a good thing or a bad thing for my Jeep . I Have a 97 Jeep TJ 4.0 . I asked around before I did it to make sure it wouldn't hurt it , everyone said it would be good for it . I did it so I could prolong the life of my engine as long as I could , I give my jeep hell , so I do what I can to help it handle it better .
    Synth oil is great, in fact its the best but not all are created equal. Get one that works for your climate and driving. That said, back in my racing days I changed oil every 1000 miles or every 3 mo which ever came first.

Synth oils work best in modern well built engines. All of the supercars run it right out of the factory, its what I ran in my Corvettes and I followed what Cheby said on wt and changing.

You won't hurt your engine, but you can hurt your pocketbook. For wheelers that are out in the dust and dirt IMO synth is a waste of money. Here the rule I follow is change and change often especially if you wheel in the SW with the very dusty conditions.

I would not swap to a syn if I did not start out with it. It won't hurt anything but why if you are changing oil at less than 7k intervals.

Always adjust your oil for the climate/time of year. Phoenix has blistering summers and wheelers see temps up to the high 130's while wheeling or even driving in traffic in town. I ran 30-50 or straight 40 wt in the summer and 10-30 wt in the winter.

If you live in Min then my guess is a 30 wt is a summer oil or so I would think.

Big Green, THANKS for the wrap up, I appreciate it, brought it all together.

Fear mongering: Yea, its neither happened to me or anyone I personally know. And I don't think I am going out on a limb to state than IMO this is not a common issue with the 4.0 engine. Does it happen, sure, chit happens all the time, something often sometimes rarely. I tried to think and add up all the miles I have driven in 4.0 Jeep engines. Best guess about 250k miles total over 17 years. Then I dug out my folders I keep on each Jeep. Clutch slave cyl, 97 TJ, at 8k miles. THAT IS IT. Maybe I am just lucky, but I have only had a few warranty issues over the years with Jeeps. BUT

My '89 YJ with less than 300 miles on it just stopped running. Towed in and it cost me right at $400 bucks. Their claim was I had put dirty gasoline in the Jeep. MY '89 was very early in the model year, I ordered it in July and got it in late Aug of '88. Later on the recalled the fuel tank for a replace. WHY? seems the inner lining was flaking/peeling off and stopping up the filters. And no, I did not get my money back...It was just on a few of the early models with the large tank.
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SavageSun4x4 View Post
    Fear mongering: Yea, its neither happened to me or anyone I personally know. And I don't think I am going out on a limb to state than IMO this is not a common issue with the 4.0 engine. Does it happen, sure, chit happens all the time, something often sometimes rarely. I tried to think and add up all the miles I have driven in 4.0 Jeep engines. Best guess about 250k miles total over 17 years. Then I dug out my folders I keep on each Jeep. Clutch slave cyl, 97 TJ, at 8k miles. THAT IS IT. Maybe I am just lucky, but I have only had a few warranty issues over the years with Jeeps. BUT
    No problem Don. The thing with this problem is that it is specific to 05-06 models only. One of the guys in the several threads on JF have actually used some of the parts from older models and now don't seem to be seeing the poor results of the newer design. My 95 and 99 Wrangler won't exhibit these problems due to the design of their parts.

I posted this to inform folks about some things that can happen and to further illustrate some of the dumb problems Chrysler/Jeep had with those model years and their "answers" to the problems. Explained further below.

-My 06 LJ falls into the problem area and parts with the OPDA problems though it falls outside of the TSB. TSB "solution": replace old part with new part of same faulty design. Chrysler is aware of the problem and has fixed some of the problem Jeeps. Individual owners have come up with a solution but requires purchasing new part and then modifying it.

-04-06 Wranglers can develop a problem with the fuel tanks where they do not recognize that the tank is full and spills fuel everywhere. Depending on what customer service rep you speak with at Chrysler, they may or may not be aware of the problem. Many dealerships are aware of the problem. Solution: Replace tank with new same design tank. Individual owners currently have no solution to this problem outside of buying new tank from Genright or other company.

-NSG370 Pops out of first gear, 05 through current. I saw a TSB on this issue for the 05 model. Solution: Adjust shifter boot. Really?

I bought my 06 in the color I wanted, options I wanted and low mileage hoping that it would last me a mostly headache free lifetime. Thanks Jeep.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 06 LJ was one of the best, smoothest, quickest Jeeps I have ever owned. I hated to sell it, but moving down here and owning 3 Jeeps, and a truck, somehow I needed to thin the herd. Other standouts were my '99 and '01. All 3 ran exceptionally well. The rest of my rigs ran as expected. My 99 was hands down the fastest OEM Jeep I have ever owned. It had a D44 rear axle and 3.73 gears. I fooled a LOT of folks with it. In fact it would break rubber going into second gear. They were all box stock.
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Green View Post
    I bought my 06 in the color I wanted, options I wanted and low mileage hoping that it would last me a mostly headache free lifetime. Thanks Jeep.
    HAHAHA This is me exactly! I have the squeaky OPDA too. 06 Rubi 28k miles. Never popped out of gear, but I only use 1st off road. I also have the "fuel flow won't stop when the tank is filled" issue. I recognized the OPDA once I read up on it. Took it to the stealership, they said it's on back order, but replaced the clutch push-rod recall or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredmcvay View Post
    I think we look at ourselves more like a combination of a motorcycle gang and a pack of angry, wild beavers. We are a total package!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sold my LJ Rubi with about 35k miles, never a hiccup on that puppy, loved that Jeep. I took it to Moab in box stock condition, no mods at all and it ran every trail I took it too. I ran by myself, here I am on Moab Rim, it took me to the top and over then back behind the rocks and other trails.

Spent many a night in that rig.
    17082008034.jpg
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast