1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jeep Whistling

Ok, so here's a question I have. My Jeep ('04 Wrangler w/ 4.0) has been whistling for a while now. I don't know what the deal is. It won't do it with the hood up, but every time I drive. So, I'm going to say it only does it under some kind of load and depends on where the gas pedal is. I've cleaned the TB a couple of times, but no help. Looked at the vacuum lines and they all appear to be in great shape. Lately I've been thinking it could be the PCV but not sure. Think I'll replace it anywho since I don't know the last time it was done. Anyone got another idea?
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same deal here....watching this thread closely! We'll find this stupid whistle somewhere.
    Jason

2004 TJ Rubicon

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be the ball in the cardan joint of the front driveshaft. When they need grease, they whistle or chirp.

Only do it while moving.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Hill, but it's not it because it isn't speed dependent and I grease it regularly. It's throttle dependent. I did just learn looking at the FSM that I don't have a PCV. Instead the 4.0's have a CCV system that does the same thing. I'll research it a bit more and see wuz up. On another note and to add to what I started, I also have a cold air intake From K&N (FIPK), and the trail jamer setup.

Jason, mine's a rubi too. For me it seems that it will do it any time the pedal is in a certain position while driving same for you?
    Sven

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whistling noises...... chased this down with 2 different wranglers now.

Easy things 1st.
    Aftermarket intake or throttle body spacers, if you have either, replace with stock and see if it changes.

Vacuum lines. Don't just look at them, pull on them where there are rubber connectors. I've had those rubber pieces look great, and completely fall to pieces when I started messing with them. The lines start on your driver side intake manifold, one branches off and goes to your brake system, the other half snakes around the rear of the engine bay and enters a black box (about 8" X 3"). From there, another line comes out and goes through the fire wall. Check all the connections/fittings. Do you have cruise control? If so, does it still work? That's one of the things controlled by vacuum lines, and if it's not working, pretty good hint that you've got a leak some where.

Still good?

How long have you had the jeep, and what type of engine work has been done to it?
    On my last jeep, the previous owner had pulled the intake manifold off for some unknown reason. The gasket was put on backwards, allowing for a little bit of a leak. The noise didn't show up until it started getting cold out. Something to do with the cold and the metal contracting/expanding at different temps.

Carb cleaner..... with the engine on, spray it around the entrance to your intake manifold, throttle body, intake edges, vacuum lines, any place that air could enter the engine (if there was a leak). Have someone watch the tach while you're spraying the carb cleaner. If the engine rev's up, your leak is in that area.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, time to get serious I guess.
    Sven

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trailsnail View Post
    Ok, so here's a question I have. My Jeep ('04 Wrangler w/ 4.0) has been whistling for a while now. I don't know what the deal is. It won't do it with the hood up, but every time I drive. So, I'm going to say it only does it under some kind of load and depends on where the gas pedal is. I've cleaned the TB a couple of times, but no help. Looked at the vacuum lines and they all appear to be in great shape. Lately I've been thinking it could be the PCV but not sure. Think I'll replace it anywho since I don't know the last time it was done. Anyone got another idea?
    How long it have been whistling????

Quote Originally Posted by trailsnail View Post
    Thanks Hill, but it's not it because it isn't speed dependent and I grease it regularly. It's throttle dependent. I did just learn looking at the FSM that I don't have a PCV. Instead the 4.0's have a CCV system that does the same thing. I'll research it a bit more and see wuz up. On another note and to add to what I started, I also have a cold air intake From K&N (FIPK), and the trail jamer setup.

Jason, mine's a rubi too. For me it seems that it will do it any time the pedal is in a certain position while driving same for you?
    Most CAI produce some whistling, the cheaper the CAI the louder the whistle....

It sounds to me that the K&N could be the prob.....
    Last edited by JoeySnow70; 02-01-2011 at 19:45.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Rusty's CAI and TB spacer, and mine whistles pretty good. Never noticed it until I heard a stock all factory 4.0! LOL

I bought my XJ from Jforse on here, all set up. I thought that's what they sounded like, until a guy asked me why mine whistled.

Took a ride in his, and no whistle. I didn't even think of that, back then the guys in my club told me then that's most likely the cuase.

Most of them have some form or other of CAI and TB spacer. Hell, I thought they were supposed to sound like that!!

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are all good points and I should get out there do some digging too. The whistling that I have does not seem like the intake or front drive shaft. I think that it might be a vacuum leak, as the noise happens when I let off of the gas pedal. It is not speed or RPM dependent, but happens more when cold. Come to think of it, if I warm up the Jeep real good,it is silent until I run her on the highway for a bit.....it must get cold at speed because when I come off highway and coast, the whistle returns.
    Jason

2004 TJ Rubicon

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never had a whistle untill I replaced the TB unit, then it whistled for the next 6 years.

SOME after market TB's just do it, goes with them, mine was a RE, great unit, just whistled. I did contact RE and they stated it was a known issue, but not a problem, just a design quirk. After a while I got to like it, made my Jeep different.

The manifolds on the '03 -'04 have a LOT of vacuum lines on and about. I have seen this and the solution was to replace all the vac hoses and it went away. I suspect it was one of the ones back toward the rear where the heat from the upper cat really cooks the rubber hoses. If you check your hose will be hard and cracked...WHOA, I mean the hose on your Jeep.

Check your cruise control if you have it.
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast