2008 to Present

Closest Installation

NAB Little Creek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Exhaust and Air Intake Systems?

I am looking at ditching the 30year old exhaust system (piping, cat, muffler), since I just installed a new Inline 6 on my Scrambler and was looking for some good ideas of what I should replace it with. I also would like some ideas on Air intake systems and if Cold Air Intake Systems are worth it. Thanks.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exhaust- 2.5 inch pipe, high flow cat (if Va still requires it) and a decent muffler. Pipe it out the back unless its an off road only rig, then different plans are needed. Throw a decent header on it and run it.

Intake- make your own. Get a Wix filter, some poop pie at Holmes Depot or Lowes and fab something up. Mine cost me 60 bucks, and 45 of that was the filter.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have a OEM cat?

I like Borla and Gibson systems. Both do a lot of research, Gibson aims toward maxing out the torque and Borla torque and overall performance. Borla is a recommended OEM upgrade and available from Jeep (prob not yours, but you get the point).

I am not sure what size your OEM pipe was but be cautious on increased pipe sizing. I would hold it to 1/4 in diameter increase. Go to large and you loose the scavenging effect the system provides.

CAI/S: Yes the systems CAN provide increased HP/Torque and mpg. However not all do and more $$$ spent does NOT = better performance. You can build one that is equal to or BETTER than units costing hundreds of dollars. In fact more money generally gets you more bling and that is about it IMO.

While NavyDoc spent $60 bucks I think he went high dollar here is my solution:
    Cold Air Fab and Install Part I - II "Trash Air" CJ/YJ/TJ/XJ

After doing a lot of experimentation I sent this to the Editior, a name we all know of a name we all know mag. I offered to deliver my Jeep at my expense to an location for a heads up comparo with any CAIS. Not only did they refuse, they would not even look at it as a cheap-o mod for publication. CAIS was HOT ticket at that time and they just got too many advertising $$$.

How you approach the CAIS is your shot to call. But here is the take away: What is important is getting COLD air to the engine. While Jeep did not invent CAIS they have a long history of using it OEM. In fact the impetus for my concept came from an OEM restored CJ. They use a large hose that goes to the back of the drivers side headlight bucket.
    Last edited by SavageSun4x4; 02-03-2011 at 15:53.
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2001 to 2002

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

best thing to do is remember the engine is like a living creature, it needs to breath. high performance mufflers work ok, but you get more flow with one designed like a resonating chamber (spintech muffler). along with that you get the really deep sound, and if it's deep enough, you can set off car alarms in idel!
    "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"
    quote from movie "sucker punch"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2001 to 2002

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hers the spintech link: http://spintechmufflers.com/
    "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"
    quote from movie "sucker punch"

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Closest Installation

NAB Little Creek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the great information. Just to add on to this thread. I am installing the Howell TBI kit and if anybody has done this? If so, what air intake system do you have installed.