Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 'Get A Rope'

We say that a lot down here in Texas, usually when somebody ordered a Margarita with NO salt or wants to know if they can get Chili with Lima beans in it or if they ask for cole slaw and vinegar on their BBQ and most recently a Jeeper talking to another Jeeper who has just shred his hands on spooling in/out some steel cable.

That said for some us we have been running 'rope' for a lot of years. Here are some tips on taking care of that very expensive stuff...

About every 2 years I ship my Masterpull Superline XD rope off to the good folks at Masterpull for inspection and to clean up the working end.

Taking care of your rope:

I wash mine about once a year. I use Dr Bronner's pure castel soap and pour a few cap fulls in a large tub I have. While I am at it I also toss in my mechanics gloves that get grease on them and anything other shop stuff that is a bit greasy.

I will let it soak a few hours and check it to see if I need to add more soap. Do that by seeing if it will still create suds, if not add a bit more soap. Let soak over night and rinse a couple of time then fill the tub with water again and let soak over night again. This gets all the soap out. Its dry out here in the desert and I will also add some fabric softener to reduce static electricity and to let the rope slide a little easier.

The last time I also shipped a 'Winch Safety Thimble' from ToughStuff Products along with it and asked Masterpull to install it for me. The folks at MP are fantastic; they do not charge for this service.

I ship out on Sat am via UPS and always have it back and ready to wheel by the end of the week.
    Thanks my friends at Masterpull and thanks to my good friend Mr. Blaine of ToughStuff for telling me about his company’s products...

http://www.masterpull.com/cpage.cfm?cpid=413

http://www.toughstuffproducts.com/je...y_thimble.html

1) Rope as sent to MP

2) Rope as returned

3) ToughStuff Products Safety Thimble (I cannot recommend this enough if you LIKE your thumbs and fingers)

4 Installed on Jeep

don_photos_002-2.jpg30062006063-2.jpgdon_photos_003-2.jpg30062006069-2.jpg
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice, thanks for the tips. i need to get me a rope. my cable isnt in the best shape.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1965 to 1969

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a great tip thanks

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all. I would tell you that any rope be it MP Superline XP or Amsteel Blue or _________ does need some PM and this does go for steel cable, but more so for rope. There is a time and place for everything and if you work or wheel in a HIGH abrasion world then Steel could be your best bet given acquisition costs. But don't forget those dang KINKS that steel will develop and they really weaken the cable. If you go rope be sure to use a sheath with your ropes in the rocks...
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

will masterpull repair there rope. Mine is tattered from getting snagged.
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cannot speak for them, but your rope say, looks like mine in the above pic, they will inspect it and gut the offending end off then put it back together for you. I have only had some fraying at the working end, so cutting off a couple of feet has never been a big deal.

If you have something other than what I have depicted then I would suggest you calling first. Over the 8 years I have owned my rope I have sent it back 3 or 4 times, for a safety inspection and clean up of the working end and they have never charged me a dime and I get my rope back the same week I send it in.
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to know.

I need to pull mine off for a good inspection and rewrap... just got to get motivated.