Served
    Served
    1965 to 1969

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Skyjacker RockLock front sway bar install Question on a 2005 TJLJ

I am installing the front sway bay and need to remove the oem bolts/studs in the axle bracket to attach the end links. There is a torx head on it on the wheel side but with a breaker bar and torx bit I can't get either of them to turn out and there is nothing in the instructions about how to remove them. HELP do I drill them out?

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can try heating the nut, then hitting the bolt with a can of air (computer keyboard cleaner type stuff) inverted to get the propellant (pretty friggin cold) to break it loose. Tap it with a hammer, penetrating oil might be your best bet.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doc is on to some things. You can buy some juice at the auto store called PB Cold Blast IIRC and its gets COLD, real cold. Propane torch will heat it.

I have found neither work sometimes so (happened to me) I grabbed my 4 1/2" w/.045 cut off wheel and just sliced the top of the bolt off. Remove you OEM stuff and then weld nut to the top of the bolt stem and remove IF you are lucky. If not (as I was) the bolt will either begin to spin when you break the bolt and spot welded nut loose from inside the frame.

If that happens there are several sloutions.

Before that occurs: SOAK well and often with PB Blaster from the Auto store. Give it a good 24 hrs to work then hit it wit the cold and the heat in hopes of breaking it loose. If not cut it off. Then the best solution I have found is to drill out the hole about 1/8" larger or large enough to insert and head of the proper sized bolt you need. You can grind off the corners enough to get it thru the hole. Hold the bolt in the hole with a pair of vice grips, tack weld. Now weld a bead all the way around the bolt and to the frame. Grind down to get a good seat and you are good to go.

let us know how it works out...
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cut them off.
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1965 to 1969

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is not a nut, it is a torx head bolt that looks like it is screwed thru the bracket welded to the spring bucket and then the threaded end sticks out the other side (toward the center of the jeep) of the bracket and the oem link slipped over this bolt with a nut and washer to hold the link on. I have the nut off, it is the thing that looks like a bolt I can't get out
    Link Bolt.jpg
    The bolt or screw has the washer and nut on it but they are loose. The new sway bar arm is just above it. I have been soaking this whole area with PB Blaster for weeks and the nut came right off, but this stud/screw/bolt won't move.

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cutoff both sides (threaded side and head side) and punch out or drill out what's left. Little bit of work, but I'm thinking its the best bet.
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.