Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jumper-Battery cables: U can build

Making your own Jumper-battery Cables is not difficult as long as you have the materials and a few basic tools.

Tools:
    * Vice
    * Knife
    * Large pilers
    * Propane torch
    * Heat gun
    * Cable cutters or sharp knife

Materials:
    * 1 ga welding wire which is good for 600 amps, very flexible (more than auto grade wire and carries more amps/volts. 1 ga is more than most folks will ever need yet no where as expensive as 00-06 ga automotive cable.
    * 500 Amp vinyl coated clamps
    * Electrical solder and flux
    * Lock-Tite
    * Heat shrink tubing

The Build:
    Layout your cable full length on a flat surface to get the twist out of it and insure you are getting the exact length you need.
    Since I use welding cable its easy to cut, but a small pair of cable cutters that will cut up to about 3/4 cable will work fine and be inexpensive.
    Insert one end of the cable into the handle of the clamp, then add you precut piece of heat shrink tubing. Using the clamp copper connector and cable measure to see how deep you need to insert the cable.

Cut off the rubber insulator, insert into the copper clamp and crimp. Then solder it in place.
    Now add you heat shrink tubing and heat to get a good firm bond.

NOTE:For Battery cables you will want some heavy duty battery connectors for the positive and negative battery posts

TIP:
    The clamps I am using are spring loaded and use the base of the spring to hold the cable in the handle. I take a small piece of of heat shrink and place it between the cable and the spring to keep down wear on the outer cable insulator skin.
    Put Lock-Tite on the screw that holds the copper jaws in the clamp.
    Do that for each end and you have a set of really high quality jumper cables that will most likely last a life time.

Cut you cabling to length, I like to lay them out and stretch them to get the twist out of the cable
    21022009077.jpg

Slip the cable thru the 500 Amp clamp
    21022009078.jpg

Slip on the heat shrink tubing
    21022009080.jpg

Measure using the copper clamp contact
    21022009081.jpg

Cut at the proper point & remove the insulation
    21022009082.jpg

Clamp, Solder & add the heat shrink tubing
    21022009083.jpg

Your set of jumper or battery cables (battery cables will have different connectors at the ends)
    21022009084.jpg
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nice write up Don! Been thinking of doing this for a few of my vehicles. I have a set of re-allowcated military slave cables...ahem. Since they are a little heafty for civy use I would think they would make for good donor material for this. I want a set of jumpers that have a quick disconnect on them so I can use them front or rear. Just need to source the connectors and I'm off..

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great write up! Savage, I sent you a PM.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdreamer View Post
    Nice write up Don! Been thinking of doing this for a few of my vehicles. I have a set of re-allowcated military slave cables...ahem. Since they are a little heafty for civy use I would think they would make for good donor material for this. I want a set of jumpers that have a quick disconnect on them so I can use them front or rear. Just need to source the connectors and I'm off..
    Here is how I have done it: I made up a set and cut them leaving about 4 ft or so on one end and then soldered in a set of HD snap connectors. I did this years ago and they are now on their 4th vehicle, currently my F350 truck. I carry the remainder of the cable in the back of the rig. Now no need to raise the hood, I just plug in and can start my own or your rig with no fuss, no muss.

If you need pics of stuff I can get them for you and if you cannot find a set of connectors let me know, I sell them at my cost + shipping. I use the YELLOW grade, 350 amp continous with solid copper, silver plated metal connections. I will also tell you how to properly solder them up.
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, you'll want a set of 'Anderson Connectors' dreamer.

Great write up Don! I have a heavy duty set of jumpers (Up here you really need them!)

Mine are 25' long, a bit bulky, but, I can reach from the front of my truck to a rig behind me (think parralel parked on a one way street)
    and I can reach a rig that's 3 spots over in a parking lot, or buried behind a snowbank, etc, etc.

I built them when I was driving wrecker. Few years ago I found a nice heavy duty bag for them. Not sure what is was for, but it's round, has a zipper that goes all around it, carry handles, and they fit just perfect, if you wind them up nice.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i did this a few years back and the cables are kick butt. theres only one thing im considering doing and thats running a set of quick disconnects thru the firewall so i wont have to life my hood to plug in basicly turning plan ole cables into this Attachment 25846Attachment 25847
    /l ,[____], Dear Geico i was not born with enough middle fingers to show you how i feel right now!!
    l---L -OlllllllO-
    ()_)-()_)-o-)_) I have never run from a fight and these MF's chose the wrong Retard to f%^& with!

2004 TJ X
    6.5" Long Arm BDS

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jafcb View Post
    i did this a few years back and the cables are kick butt. theres only one thing im considering doing and thats running a set of quick disconnects thru the firewall so i wont have to life my hood to plug in basicly turning plan ole cables into this Attachment 25846Attachment 25847
    The Q connects come in 3 flavors, red, blue and yellow. My first set was red like yours, the ones I am building now are yellow and they are 350 amp IIRC continous, 600 surge. Forgot why I went to the yellow, seems like a customer wanted something to start his boat after winter storage and longer sometimes and he was telling me he really had to CRANK the engine for long time and had melted some of the other stuff.

Originial setup, not bad..
    26062010861.jpg

New setup
    28062010871.jpg

soldering in. NOTE small pellet on right, I use these solder pellets as they are the exact amount I need to solder to the size of cable into the connector. Drop in pellet, heat till it melts ans insert cable, bingo!
    ggc.jpg

Old battery cables from clients rig and my new build
    05032009192.jpg
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Awesome stuff. Where do you get the meltable pellets to solder with?? Never seen those.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdreamer View Post
    Awesome stuff. Where do you get the meltable pellets to solder with?? Never seen those.
    Dreamer, you should be able to get those from any electrical supplier that also deals in auto parts. I will have to dig out the name of my supplier, but you buy them matched to the size of connector you are going to use.
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1992 to 1996

Closest Installation

Luke AFB