User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you prep you Jeep for storage?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1989 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do you prep you Jeep for storage?

I did a search thinking this had to have been discussed before but came up empty..

Last couple of deployments, I left my rigs to be faithfully started and driven around the block weekly by loving family members while I was away. While intentions are good, I came home to rigs that had sat for months with slack tires with sidewall cracking and flat spots, dead batteries, etc.

So, what have you all done with your rigs when you are prepping for another rotation?

I am headed back shortly and am hoping to leave my herd in the best condition I can. Unfortunately, I don't have garage space for all of 'em so the driveway will be home for a couple.

fluids change and sta-bil in the tanks is norm, what else do you do?
    One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag - LT1/4L60E/NP229, Dual 2.5", Rear discs, Aussie rear, LDS front, 4.10's

95 YJ - D44's, SOA on OME leafs, ARB's, 4.56s, Blisteins, 35" KM2's, CJ front clip
    50 CJ3A - 4.3L/SM465/D300, 9" front & rear, 5.38s
    77 J-10 - Stock old ranch truck + MDS ignition .. another project!
    78 NT Cherokee... to my Dad
    97 ORVIS ZJ - Sold

http://s552.photobucket.com/albums/j...wapmohn/Jeeps/

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1998 to Present

Closest Installation

NWS Yorktown
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're sure it's not going to be started, driven or moved, I'd pull the battery and store it inside, put all four corners up on jackstands, scatter a couple of handfulls of mothballs under said vehicle (keeps the critters out) and like you said, fluids, sta-bil etc. Other than that you should be good to go.
    1978 CJ7 golden eagle

US Navy Riverines

Jeep-CJ.com

What if I told you servicemen and women are just regular people like you. Some are douchebags, some are really great people, some are idiots, some are really smart, and almost none of themselves think of themselves as hero's, except the douchebags.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trickle charge on the battery..... concrete is bad for tires, especially when they sit for extended periods of time (like my camper) I laid down a piece of rubber mat for the tires to sit on and try to reposition the camper if I am not using it for extended periods of time - plus I cover them to protect against the sun.

I run the fuel out of my mower etc.... not sure if you have a carb or EFI - the stabil should fix that make sure you add the stabil, fill it up and drive around just a little to mix it around and let it get into the engine - don't let it sit with less than a full tank to avoid condensation building up over time.

Anyone else?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Metal tanks I always keep full, the plastic ones I don't worry about. I just add Sta-Bil, and when I fire it up again, I add some Isopropyl or Heat to deal with any condensation.

Metal ones will rust above the fuel line if left to long without fuel sloshing around, and condensation inside.

Blocks or jackstands if being left unattended. New tires are good, but if they go flat and sit, they will crack/weathercheck the sidewalls.

Mothballs, wherever you think a mouse or critter will get into, stuff some mothballs or dryer sheets in there.

Dryer sheets work great, but need to be changed out every 4-6 months to remain effective.

Disconnect the battery, have it on a battery tender if possible.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Fix it until it's broke CrazyHorse6's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2009

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

X2 on above. Fill up the gas tank regardless of poly or metal to keep the condensation out and add fuel stab at the station so it mixes in while you drive it home. You can also go as far as spraying fogging oil into the carb and running the engine until it dies. This will help protect the inards of the engine from moisture damage. Battery on a trickle charger and jack up the jeep and STAY SAFE over in the sand box
    GarryOwen!
    CJ7, 258, Dana 20 T-case, Dana 30 & AMC 20, TFI Ignition upgrade, headers, MC 2100 carb, YJ tub mod w/Family Style roll bar...

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Fort Knox
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rub baby oil onto the tires. It helps keep the rubber from dry rotting.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2001 to 2006

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe a car cover. Don't know if it will help or not. I personal don't like putting anything on my tires. My thinking is if you add once you should keep adding said stuff to tires. Also maybe a few air fresheners and something to absorb moisture so no rust when you come home.

Zombie Killin Ninja Style MurdaDock's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1999 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am keeping mine in the Garage and.............
    *Jack Stands on all four corners (Prevents Spring wear and Tire damage)
    *Battery disconnected (for fire reasons as well as charge. The trickle charger is a good idea that I seen above as well)
    *Removed Spark plugs and put a few drops of oil in the holes (helps Preserve gaskets) and replaced plugs but not Spark plug wires (prevent theft)
    *Fuel stabilizer
    *Dehumidifier is a good idea if in a Hot but shady Humid place (Hawaii, Florida etc...). I didn't but one time I came off of leave from OCONUS and had mold all over the interior. The kids spilling juice in the back didn't help.
    *Thorough undercarraige wash if in winter environment regardless of time of year. You probably still have salt in the cracks and crevices. The Dehumidifier will help with antirust too

This is like asking someone for a steak rub recipe though, Everyone does it a little different. Good luck. I googled most the information I got before I deployed
    Jason Murdock
    2010 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
    Funniest thing I have seen on MJ
    Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    you should've never started this thread without a photo

now go outside and get your shit back up on the rock, snap some pics, and do it all over again
    My Photos
    http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...p?albumid=1031

Now What?

Branch
    Air National Guard
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1985 to 2007

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems to me that somebody always wanted to drive my vehicles when I was gone... But then I did not have a Jeep back then, so that was OK...

If you can legally get ethanol free gasoline into the tank, that is great for everyday use and even better for storage.

Be safe.
    Minnesota National Guard
    ARNG 85-00 / ANG 01-07
    --31C;19K-- / ---3E7---

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some places wont allow vehicles on jackstands bc of saftey issues and being unsightly if outside. I have noticed espacially in colder areas that laying a piece of crappy carpet under tires and whole vehicle if possible makes a huge difference for some reason. My dada stored an old caddy for years in and out of garages and swore by the carpet betwen drive or concrete and vehicles makes all the difference

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast