2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Fort Knox
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default CO2 tank

I'm thinking of making a co2 system to fill tires and set beads. Anything I should know, be concerned about? Also anybody make their own setup instead of buying one? Thanks

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unless you can fill it yourself dont bother. You would have to buy a certified bottle before anyone would fill it unless Uncle Cletus has a shop you can get to do it.

If you have an in on a certified bottle and regulator system then it would probly be worth doing or a cheap way to certify what ever you put together
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go to a welding supply shop. Usually you can get a 20 lb exchange bottle. About 50 bucks for a regulator and hose, and you're good to go. Just pay like 10 bucks, and exchange your bottle, you'll get a full exchange bottle in return. Just keep going through the cycle. I was going to go with a bottle setup, but I got a steal on an ARB compressor instead.

Hope it goes well for you.

Bobby
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Fort Knox
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stopped in the only welding and compressed gas gas place here in Gatesville. To rent a bottle from them is $75 a year, plus $20 to fill. They send off their bottles to be filled and only exchange. I need to find a place that will fill one for me. I think a 15 or 10 pounder will suit me fine, a 20 will be too big.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i ran an old 40cuft dive tank with a regulator on it. my brother in on the local fire dept and refills it with regular air at 2200 psi for free. thats another route you can take. it doesnt last as long as a CO2 tnak but works the same.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1991 to 2001

Closest Installation

Bolling AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get mine filled at a fire extinguisher shop in d town alexandria va. Try your fire supply shops I have a 20# it costs 25 to fill from empty
    Msgt Darnell Breeden you are missed and will not be forgotten. Rest in peace brother

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toecutter View Post
    I stopped in the only welding and compressed gas gas place here in Gatesville. To rent a bottle from them is $75 a year, plus $20 to fill. They send off their bottles to be filled and only exchange. I need to find a place that will fill one for me. I think a 15 or 10 pounder will suit me fine, a 20 will be too big.
    I have a complete PowerTank 10 pound system and love it. Simple, easy to use, and plenty of CO2 for 1 trail ride even with a little air tool use and other Jeepers hitting me up for air. I think you are right, a 20 lb would be too big. My 10 is good but I think I could fit a 15 and may buy one eventually. I take my bottle to either a compressed gas shop in Manassas or a fire extinguisher shop in Alexandria. Costs about $20. Worth it to me. I have been without air for refilling tires one too many times after a trail ride.......

Rule #1 of a CO2 system. Fill your own tires first.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$75 a year is a rip off...... 3 years of renting, you could own a power tank.

CO2 bottles can be found at restaurants, bars, welding shops, etc. The hose, regulator, and attachments can be grabbed at home depot. Whoever you get to fill your bottle, will test it. The testing isn't expensive at all. Most people I know that have sourced out their own parts, did it for under $250. It costs me under $30 to fill my 20lb bottle.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get my bottle filled at a home brewing shop in the neihborhood for $16. I think they said getting bottle retested when expired is $50-$60. I bought my first set up off local jeep forum for $150. Thats about what i came up with to by. In parts so i pulled the trigger on the deal. I just grabbed a second bottle i think its source and has mount and all. Was $100 picked it up from fellow wheeler that dropped out the game. I use my botle alot and couldnt pass on the deal since i am building a second yj for my wife n daughters to drive.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one thing nice about co2 is its not dependant on the vvehicle running to work. no batt power used or running vehicle unlike other oba set ups. my friends have both other set ups so between 3 of us we have air and helps when we split up in smaller wheeling groups. sloppy or frozen conditions smaaler groups move along faster when. extra winching is required.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast