1985 to 1992

Closest Installation

Aberdeen Proving Ground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army chev v8 swap

seriously contemplating dropping a v8 chevy in my 99 tj. Has anyone done this swap? What do I need to "aquire" to make it happen? How would u wire it in and still keep the instruments,internal wiring,intact. Just tossing the idea around for now.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple enough swap. Thousands of these around and parts to do are ez to come by. Check with Novack and Advanced Adapters they have most, MOST of what you need.

Want to use OEM gages then it gets a bit more complex, but I think I saw in m e mail there is an outfit that does the match up and does it plug in...but I have cleaned out my mail several times since.

GOGGLE is our friend.

Wanna make it REALLY simple. Go with a Chevy v8 + its matching computer + after market gages rather than the Jeep OEM.

You big challenge here is gages and there are solutions but the harness is not cheap. One outfit will make you a electrical harness, jut give them the info and they build one.

Which Cheby V8: There are two approaches. 1) Old school using a carb based older engine that does not use a computer, simple, ez but you might butt into emissions laws...CHECK before you do anything on this. 2) new Chevy fuel injected, computer etc. If you do this then get ALL of the external components. Great choice wold be a LS6 all alum engine with gobs of HP...can pay the tab for this, do feel bad few of us can as it can run into the low $20,000 for a low mile complete engine. BUT I know were you can get the exact same engine and NOT pay the big bucks. What a lot of folks don't know is that the HiPo Chevy engines ALSO come in an IRON verson. Same engine just not alum and they are cheap and easy to find at your local junkyard. They are found in Caddy Escalades, Chevy/GMC trucks, Suburbans. Look in the Chevy/GMC truck 2500 series, also Chevy Avalanche 4x4 2500 series.

keep us in the loop with what you are doing and some pics of he swap...
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Painless wiring will build you a wiring harness for it, but I agree with Savage, get aftermarket guages and make it easier on yourself. A little LS1 in a Jeep is always a good time. Just make sure that the rest of your parts can handle the increase in parts!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

X2

Yes, Painless will make it Painless, can believe I forgot and I have been over to the company even...Fort Worth Texas outfit.
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SavageSun4x4 View Post
    X2

Yes, Painless will make it Painless, can believe I forgot and I have been over to the company even...Fort Worth Texas outfit.
    It happends brother! I forgot my phone number yesterday and had to go through my phone to figure it out...TBI's suck.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1992

Closest Installation

Aberdeen Proving Ground
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

called hotwires in ar.,and talked it over with them.ok,THAT aint happening,at least not in THIS near future.WAAAY too much trouble and WAAAAY too much expense.Looks like I will be building up a really HOT 4.0. Less hassle and I can concentrate on building up the motor insterad of what will,and what will not work with the engine tranny combo.Besides,I already HAVE the high horse tunnel-rammed crazy insane antique jeep. btw,it is 1700.00 just for the wiring harness for a chev v8,1400.00 for a dodge v8. And u STILL have to pay extra for the computer and any engine/tranny adapters u will need. Just for any of u interested in doing this.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not suprised at all. I know several guys who have done this and spent almost more on getting its wired up, AC/heat etc than they did on the swap.

I still think the way to go is a set of custom gages, keep the OEM computer setup or just pull the OEM gages and all. I know of a couple of guys who have done that and it looks good, works FLAWLESSLY with no hassle other than mating the gages to the dash.
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1997 to 2006

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

was less than 300 to get get the chevy computer reprogramed and the stock chevy harness cut down for the swap i did. was only 5 wires to hook up when i got it back to make it run.
    03 Rubicon, 6.0L Chevy, 700R4, 241, ORI struts, custom F&R dual traiangulated longarms, 39.5 Irok, frame backhalf, 35 Spline Ford 60's, Full Hydro steering, 110"wb
    05 TJ (salvage), 6.0L aluminum head Chevy with LS1 parts (@400hp) , 4L60E, home made longarm on 14" SAW coilovers, 35 spline Dana 60's, 100"wb

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bud of mine back in Ft Worth dropped a Corvette Z06 engine is his TJ. He built it as more of a 'street sleeper' than anything else. ALL the right stuff plus a set of 4.88 cogs in his Dyantrac axles. Z06/505 HP and its 6 spd Tremec tranny. But not just a street sleeper, but a STOCK looking TJ too. Bone stock interior and everything works as OEM. He had 2 MAJOR challenges. 1) Must be completely stock in appearance and function and sound like a Jeep, meaning quiet. It was a struggle to do the twistys with the corvette exhaust system and keep it hidden from view.

The corvette engine and tranny came out of a T Boned corvette that was near new and as he bought the whole car, then sold off all but engine/tranny/computer. At last talk he was $27k into the swap. He was telling me that getting all to mate up to the OEM Jeep stuff was a nightmare beyond his wildest dreams.. The conversion was done at Sunray Engineering in Weatherford Texas. When I asked him about where the costs were he said it was the nickels and dimes adding up from trying to make it a stock TJ. So much custom built parts, cooling, AC and then stuffing all into the Jeep engine bay. Everything had to be rehung and rerouted....Hundreds of hours at Sunray. My bvud was the kind of guy who was a touch and go kind of a guy...touch the go pedal and go down the road and other than opening the door and sticking the key in he had no involvement other than to tell them to make it happen.

Did it get up and go? Like a rocket sled on wheels.
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1965 to 1969

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The C5 and C6 Corvetttes (Z06) have the transmission in the rear as part of a transaxle for better weight transfer with a torque tube connecting them. So the best engine would be from a late model GTO or Camaro. I have heard that the bigger Buick SUV has the aluminum block LS motor with the trans mounted to the back of the engine and some kind of a transfer case attached to the back of the trans.
    Good Luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast