Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Where is Jeep headed abroad and possibly here

2011+ VM Motori V6 Diesel Engines Used by Chrysler

Thanks to Doug Hetrick for making numerous corrections.

VM Motori started supplying in 1992, with the Chrysler Voyager’s diesel option. Today, VM Motori powers several European Chrysler and Jeep, as well as (as of Februrary 2011) the Chevrolet Captiva, London Taxi, Megastar van, and Maxus van. Today, three VM engines are used by Chrysler: the 2.5 (Voyager), 2.8 (Wrangler, Voyager, and Cherokee), and 3.0 (Grand Cherokee.) The 300C is soon to be added to the list of 3.0 users....

Read the rest of the article: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/V6/VM-RA-diesel.html
    Last edited by SavageSun4x4; 03-07-2011 at 19:36.
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and some more tidbits: http://www.allpar.com/model/upcoming.html

The Cummins straight-six diesel is still planned for future Rams and is to be coupled to the eight-speed automatic in 2011 or 2012; power was boosted to 800 lb-ft of torque.
    VM Motori, now 50% owned by Fiat Powertrain, dominates Chrysler/Jeep in Europe. A Fiat diesel is reportedly being tested by Siemens for US certification in the 2012 Wrangler.
    The V8 diesel should get around 18 mpg city, 23 mpg highway in the Ram 1500, producing over 250 horsepower and around 440 lb-ft of torque. It redlines at over 5,000 rpm, is quiet as a gasoline engine, and should appear around 2013-2014. The fate of the 4.2 liter Cummins V6 (190 hp, over 400 lb-ft) is unknown.
    In January 2011, Sergio Marchionne said: “Do I want a future [for diesel light duty Rams]? Do we have the technology to get it done? Absolutely, yes. Do we have the engines to get it done? Absolutely, yes. Is there a market at this time? I don’t know. We can do it all, we have the engines, we have the know-how... and we’d love to do it, but the question is, will it sell. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is available with a 3-liter diesel in Europe, it takes me nothing to move it over here, we have to adapt it for the emissions standards, but is it going to sell here with a 3-liter diesel? ... The Wrangler is available, that’s something I think we need to take a hard look at, because certainly the core performance of that machine would be... there are great attributes of having diesel in a car, that's why they are popular as they are on the heavy duty side of trucks.”
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about this in 2013: http://www.allpar.com/cars/chrysler/2013/index.html

Jeep Commando

Based on the Iveco Massif, with a modified version of the old Jeep Commando grille, comes a limited edition truck engineered as Jeeps used to be engineered, for serious off-road tasks. The Commando sells for more than the Grand Cherokee, but has much less in the way of interior amenities; VM diesel-powered, it's designed more for the international market than for American buyers, but fills in a gap left by the Hummer H1.
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want the commando
    1981 CJ7- 4in lift on 33's, Twin sticked dana300, aussied D30, Custom bumpers,Herced inside. Riddler covers.

RIPTrail-87yj 35MTR

76 cj- Team MJ Buggy

07 F150 "Tow Whore"- 2.5in auto spring, 33's, Full flomaster exhaust, K&N intake, Edge Programer

Sapper

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Myer
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sigh...I know there is a LOT of new technology coming down the pipe but I think it will be a cold day before we see a diesel in a jeep in the states. Does that suck...Yes! But while I am here in Germany I will hapily be looking for them to see whats-what.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RescueJP View Post
    I want the commando
    You mean land cruiser. haha.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The feds do NOT want diesel in the us. They hate gas, but HATE diesel even more and the reason why?

Simple, better mpg, longer lasting and a cheaper solution in place of gas...yes I KNOW, what diesel costs, I have a '11 F 350 crew cab, long bed, dually and it gets an average of 13.9 mpg (according on the on board computer).

So why does diesel cost more? Combo of factors. Higher federal taxes, increased costs to refine due to EPA regs and RISING WORLDWIDE demand. The whole world is moving to diesel, but not the US. Feds are trying to tell us we need to move to "alternative energy". However they will NOT tell us what that is other than electricity.

So why electricity? We currently have the technology to completely control you and your electric auto. Where you go, when you go and what you do while there and if the feds do not want you to go 'there' they just flip the switch and you don't get electricity, simple as that.

Plus the max range on electric cars is always 1/2 of what is advertised...
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com