Serving
    Served
    1996 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default GM V-8 Coversion in a TJ

I am currently working on installing a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali 5.3l Vortec and 4L60E transmission in my 1998 TJ. Here are some adaptations and lessons learned that I had to do. First off do not buy an engine that has a "fly by wire throttle" or and Electronicly controlled throttle. The kit from Advance Adapters (www.advanceadapters.com) works wells. Ensure that the driveline is PERFECTLY in line use a line level and some string to verify this. Slipyoke eliminator will take out and deviation of 1/8" or less. Take everything out from under the hood except the battery and steering components. Also painless wiring (www.painlesswiring.com) has a greta assortment of factory harnesses that will make the install run smoothly. I used an after market radiator from advance adapters also, Be Cool has the same concept. As for the plumbing i used flexible hose from O'reilly's at the correct needed length and i also wentahead and removedthe factory fan and clutch and put on an aftermarket single. As for the wiring between GM and Chrysler this is where things get interesting. You will need books for both vehicles and save yourself the hassle and get the harness from painless. It really makes it painless or least less of a hassle. Headers were made for my application from sanderson racing (sandersonracingparts.com).

There are 3 purposes for this Conversion:
    1.) Get rid of all the stupid ill-engineered crap the Chrysler felt was a good idea
    2.) HORSEPOWER & TORQUE....Let's face it when I punch the throttle and the front comes off the ground and can run a pass in 10.46 at 134mph. That is what makes it all worth it
    3.) Bragging rights.....Nuff said

Any questions or if you are thinking about making the conversion let me know I am pretty knowledgeable and have built my jeep from stock to now.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just curious, what did the engine cost and what do you think the total costs including parts required will be. I read the stats for your jeep in your profile, pretty damn impressive.

Oh, and if you wanna get rid of some of your old upgrades, keep me in mind

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Andrews AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK what's done to that 5.3L I find it hard to be-lieve that a 5.3L is gonna push a TJ into the 10's. That's screamin especially in a Jeep.
    HighlanderCJ-7

If you don't stand behind our troops,
    Feel free to stand in front of them!

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Dover AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you have to have a little over 700hp to get those numbers.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2002

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NitroRubi View Post
    you have to have a little over 700hp to get those numbers.
    ...he never did say it was a 1/4mile pass; maybe he is one that runs the 1/8th

Me personally, i like the 1320 boogie, though I have not since I sold my 2000 Mustang GT.
    --Jess

"If you expect the unexpected, was it really even UNexpected in the first place?"

2000 TJ, mostly stock :-(

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Andrews AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's no 1/8th mile MPH and being that slow on ET. Fuzz401, on 4wd's forum, runs a built 401 and can only run a 12.059 @ 107.71 mph on 33 x 10.50 slicks and 4" lift in the 1/4 mile on all motor no spray. There's no way a TJ is gettin 10's with a 5.3L.

HighlanderCJ-7

If you don't stand behind our troops,
    Feel free to stand in front of them!

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1965 to 1969

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gauges

How is the swap going? I am interested in how the dash gauges have worked out using the painless wiring? Where did you put the ECM? Did you install all the emission stuff from the donor vehicle?
    Thanks

Indecisive servicemember medicbear's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any updates?
    2001-2005 Air Force Medic, 2005-2006 Navy Corpsman, 2007-Present Army Medic/Chaplains Asst.

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

youre an idiot with all that jibberish in your post and outlandish claims. why not use fly by wire? ive done it in 3 different vehicles including my own and its very simple. next there are alot of vehicles that came with offset rear diffs that run just fine. my rear diff is almost an inch out of line with the output and never had an issue. please explain how it being side to side is any different than it being up and down. also if you had any idea of what you were talking about youd realize that there are numerous places to buy adapters or different sensors that will run on the correct ohms for the jeep dash. i did a ls2 swap in my last yj, all stock gauges hooked up and worked properly. lastly your post sounds like an advertisement for the companies that you threw your money at. you getting paid?

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuzz's CJ is AWESOME!!! I love that rig!

And the offset diff? I don't get that either.

I'm running a Scout II D44 in my CJ 7, and the pinion is 3" to the left of the T-case output. No problems with that and 4" lift. Even did a week long, 2500 Mile road trip to Moab and back. Towing my AT on the highway.(almost back......but it was a cracked block that stopped me, not the offset diff)

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast