1992 to 2014

Closest Installation

Buckley AFB
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

USAF Dealer screwing me on wheels?

Need some advice and a bit of technical expertise. When I got my 2010 Wrangler lifted I purchased my tires and wheels from the dealer. Wheels are 17" M/T Sidebiters and tires are LT315/70R17 BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KOs. My husband went to the dealership today to get some M/T Classic IIs (black) for his Wrangler and was told that they wouldn't fit on the 2011. Dealer tried to sell him some Dick Cepek Torques instead and quoted him at $290 a wheel. My husband got on his phone and found what appeared to be the same wheels for $152 at which point the parts guy was speechless and promised to get his boss to call their supplier and figure out what was up. After getting home, Russ called Mickey Thompson and asked them if there were any issues with their wheels fitting the 2011 models (the technician hadn't heard of any). The price the dealer quoted us on the tires is spot on with the internet price...

The main question I have - is there ANY difference in what wheels will fit on a 2010 Unlimited and a 2011 Sport (bolt pattern, backspacing, whatever)?

As much money as we've given these guys I'm gonna be pissed if the parts guy is trying to screw us...
    Russ & Shelly
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2001 to 2002

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

normally the dealerships will charge you your first born for many things. best bet is to look on the aftermarket sites to find the better deal, most have tire/lift/gearing charts to help. take a look at www.desertrat.com, www.quadratec.com, or www.jeep4x4center.com. i'm sure there is more tire companies out there so it's best to shop around and save yourself some money.
    "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"
    quote from movie "sucker punch"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dealers make some good money off the higher priced parts and high labor fees. Your best bet, as previously mentioned, is to look around for better prices on the same item. Some sites even have their site set up where you can plug in your vehicle's info and it will show you what products will work with your vehicle.

I am a chapter of one sincitycj's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1989

Closest Installation

Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not going to say the dealership was trying to screw you (cough cough), but according to American Racing's web site both the 2010 and the 2011 use the exact same wheel, and it doesn't matter if it is a base model or a Rubi. It show that both use a 5x127 bolt pattern and a 25mm offset.
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    went to google to see if I too was a dumb ass!!! Well actually I am.

http://www.sincityrubs.com/

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2010 and 2011 are the same wheel specs, wheels for the JK's are interchangeable throughout all years. 5-5 or 5-127mm bolt pattern, backspacing may differ from wheel to wheel, but that won't matter from a 2010 to 2011.

Dealerships do tend to charge a premium for parts...

Let me know if we can help!
    Dirty Dog Offroad
    Poison Spyder|Teraflex|Rugged Ridge|Nemesis Industries|Rock Krawler|MetalCloak|Genright|Rigid Industries and MUCH more!
    Call 678-459-4364 or EMAIL US Find us on Facebook

Now What?

Branch
    Air National Guard
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1985 to 2007

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't be the first dealer that is simply clueless as well... I went through three service advisors at the same dealership to find an agreed on price for a part last week (and I know the price was still high...). But some of them know how to run the computers better than others...
    Minnesota National Guard
    ARNG 85-00 / ANG 01-07
    --31C;19K-- / ---3E7---

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

they don't call them stealerships for nothing...
    61 cj 5 ( sold )

93 YJ SOA 4.0 Auto 35" tires

08 Jeep patriot

Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have.
    Ronald Reagan

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1992 to 2014

Closest Installation

Buckley AFB
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just called the dealership again...said the reason the 2010 and 2011 wheels are different is because they went from standard to metric...
    Russ & Shelly
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got bridge from Florida to Alaska I want to sell you for $100.

In short, the dealership is lying to you to make a larger profit. Personally, I would call the dealership and ask for them to give you the specific lug pattern for a 2010 and a 2011 (they should both be the same). If he gives you different numbers, I would call the owner (or as high up as I could find, not a manager), and let them know how pissed I was.
    Seriously though, dealerships are taking the same product you get from an aftermarket supplier, bumping the price anywhere from 50%-300% and selling them back to you.
    Please, please, please, shop around and ask questions. You'll keep yourself out of debt, or at least have money for more parts.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1999 to 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd also post the name of the dealership, just in case anyone in your area was looking for a place to avoid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast