2001 to 2006

Closest Installation

Scott AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default what direction for scoop?

I'm looking to install a cowl vent fresh air scoop. Should I put the open end to the front or to the windshield? Looking at the bushwacker one.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In testing, facing it towards the windshield will provide a MINOR, SLIGHT gain, however so little as it really makes no difference which way. But the edge does to it facing the rear if only ever so slight.
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Uncle Sam's grease monkey

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

huh? lol i put mine facing forward and didnt notice any difference
    "A soldier who can't fight is like a dog with no teeth"

89 YJ with 2.5l motor and a 5 speed
    SOA, SYE, 33" by 12.5" on fake beadlocks, Tom Woods driveshaft, Rugged Ridge HD steering linkage, Warn steering box skidplate, Daystar Rock crusher rear bumper, Daystar Polyurethane bushing kit, Tomken steering box support, Hi-Lift jack, Currie F+R greaseable shackles, Auto-Meter guages, Smittybilt F/bumper, Smittybilt 8k winch, Viair onboard air, free stuff from uncle sam

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

MCAS New River
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Open end facing rear can lead to oil buildup on the windshield...so I've heard.
    Semper Fi
    Little Red 1986 CJ-7
    7,000 mi and counting on the TBI 258
    DUI, Np435, Twin Sticked D300, Locked Waggy D44s
    4" SUA with homebrew spring outboard
    37" siped swampers with some other nifty bolt-ons.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am also looking at getting one of these... I'm installing Spectre's cowl induction intake when I get home, and the filter sits right under that vent. Also, on 4wd.com, it shows the scoop facing open end to the rear.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by myblack89yj View Post
    huh? lol i put mine facing forward and didnt notice any difference
    Yes you are right on. Not only does it not make much difference which way you have it facing, but it really will not make any difference whether you run one or not. All it does is pull in some fresh air when you have heat/AC or vent on with the exception of when the AC is on recirculate.

I do think it look good and I suppose it worth it for that.
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twojeeps View Post
    I am also looking at getting one of these... I'm installing Spectre's cowl induction intake when I get home, and the filter sits right under that vent. Also, on 4wd.com, it shows the scoop facing open end to the rear.
    This seems like a decent price as far as CAI systems go. AND unlike most it only claims a "up to 10 horsepower gain". That is one of the more modest claims I have seen over the years with some of the systems.

It does, unlike most of them provide outside air so in that context it works, IMO one of the few that does.

It does have a major drawback. Its made out of Alum and unless its built different, its thin wall and sets in the top of the engine bay atop of the engine. Its soaking up so much heat as to render any gains negligible at best and at worst will provide decreased performance.

What you could do is wrap the tubing in a reflective and insulating cover such as the windshield sun barriers you can buy at Wal Mart for less than $10 bucks. In addition its pulls in fresh air as it flows across the hood of the Jeep. Lay you hand on that sometime.

The engine bay of a Jeep which is quite high, has a tendency to allow HOT engine air to pool at the top of the engine bay. Hot air rises.

Want more performance and better mpg to the you have to understand the end game: fresh air, cooler air. For that reason I use OEM tubing, thick, PVC or some plastic that does not conduct heat real well., wrap it in insulation and run it to the back of the pass headlight bucket. Remove the headlight trim ring and you got about as cool-fresh air as you can obtain to the intake. I just posted a writeup and pics of how I did this: http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...er-MPG-for-YOU

I must say, my system will not win any 'good looks contest' but it works, exceptionally well...

See all Spectre Performance products

Spectre Performance Cold Air Induction Filter System

For 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with 4.0L Engine

Quadratec Part No: 17006.7000
    Manufacturer Part No: 9943

$159.99 Innovative design draws colder air from the cowl vent chamber through a 3” hole through the firewall. The Jeep® cowl vent is what supplies cold air into the cabin of the vehicle by drawing the air in that is hitting the windshield and rolling back in through the vent. Drawing air from this chamber allows the coldest air possible to the motor instead of drawing air from around the heated engine compartment. Colder air equals more horsepower. The Spectre cold air intake features an inline air filter housed inside a polished aluminum air tube. Kit includes braided stainless breather hose, silicone couplers, all necessary clamps, hardware and highly detailed instructions. Spectre Performance Cold Air Induction Filter System provides a great design with custom looks and up to 10 horsepower gains. Fifty state legal and C.A.R.B. exempt #D-629-1 (’97-’03 models only). This kit comes with a high flow Spectre hpR lifetime filter that’s pre-oiled and ready to install. *Requires a 3” hole placed through the firewall. Hole saw not included.
    Don

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good call, I was planning on wrapping it too. It just seemed like a cool concept to me, plus it's not something that everyone has. The scoop will also hopefully help keep mud out of the filter a little better than running without one. That's the main reason I was going for it.