User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB's : What do have & how's it mounted?

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Elmendorf AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question CB's : What do have & how's it mounted?

I've been looking at CB's lately and need to get one installed in my rig. But I'm curious what everyone is running and how they mounted them up. I don't want to buy one just because it's at a good price and it turn out to be crap. Nor do I want to spend a s#!* load for a one that's now better than a cheapie. Any input? Pics of mounting setups would be great too. I'm a newbie as well and appreciate the input of others.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1978 to 1984

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a uniden 68 elite mounted under the dash and a d104 mic with a wilson 2k antenna.
    Charter Member Of The Gultch Gang
    Team YJ Member

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will have to take a pic tomorrow, but I am running the Cobra that has all the controls right in the handset. The control box is about 2"x2"x4"s and will fit in the glovebox really nicely. Then you don't have a bulky CB in the way. I'm also running a K40 antenna with a quick disconnect base.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Elmendorf AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4ink View Post
    I will have to take a pic tomorrow, but I am running the Cobra that has all the controls right in the handset. The control box is about 2"x2"x4"s and will fit in the glovebox really nicely. Then you don't have a bulky CB in the way. I'm also running a K40 antenna with a quick disconnect base.
    How do you like that CB? That's one i was seriously considering because it would be so easy to mount. But the $150 price tag that goes with it isn't all that nice when there are Cobras out there you can pick up for starting around $40.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4ink View Post
    got the same cb. I mounted the little control box behind the console and just power it via my fuse box with a splitter. I ran the cable, probably 18 feet or so, along the edge of the jeep and mounted the antenna behind the driver's side tail light.

I have the hand mic hanging from the rockhard4x4 sport cage using a little bungee cord. It works well until you hit a bump on the trail, then it is like a cobra brand mace swinging around by my head and my wife's (in the passenger seat) head. We tend to pull it off the bungee cord while on the trail and she just holds it so that she can use it while I drive.

the cb I have is like 80 bucks or so at amazon, probably cheaper if you look around.
    http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-75WXST-W.../dp/B00005N5WW

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Elmendorf AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are these things loud enough that you can hear them on the trail? What about with the top off, or on the highway, etc. I just wonder how loud they are.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a cheap speaker from radio shack and mounted it above the center of the front window on that bracket using cable ties. It looks clean and I ran the wires along the inside of the window moulding, so you don't really even kow it is there unless you are looking for it.

I realized that I wanted an external speaker after we were coming back from a ride a year or so ago and got caught in bad traffic. Turns out a van full of people jumped the median and rolled down a steep hill into our lanes. We were probably there about 5 or 6 hours without moving, so everyone was outside of their vehicles. It was nice being able to hear the updates on a buddy's cb from like 5 jeeps back.

I think it all comes down to how much room you want to take up and how clean you want it to look. I can unplug my mic and cable from the control box in about 5 seconds and you would never know I had a cb installed in the jeep.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spend the money on a good tunable antenna. The CB (if primary use is trail) doesn't matter that much.

Truck
    Quote Originally Posted by korisu56 View Post
    Im in no position to. Mine doesn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by miljeep View Post
    Oh, thanks to Nate who stopped by tonight and helped a struggling old bald man pitch a tent.
    83 Scrambler, bought in 94...starting to rust away..."we can rebuild him" Now in pieces all over the garage
    82 Scrambler, bought in 05, chevy 305/TH350/NP205
    86 CUCV Maintanance truck w/12KW PTO driven generator & air compressor
    83 Scrambler-151/T176/D300...basically stock..possible restoration for DD duties

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort Dix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also have the Cobra 74 (hand model like miljeep).

The control box is mounted under the dash about where the radio used to be (85 CJ7), and a mike bracket on the front of the dash.

Also have a 4' Firestick whip (shame on you guys ) on the pax side rear.

Works ok out on the trails, but never tested the volume on the road with the windows down.
    Getting my morning coffee at the mud truck. Don't ever talk to me until I've had my morning coffee. Seriously, don't. I'm venomous. @BronxZooCobra.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2006

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the Cobra 74, and I like it. Not loud at all. I can't hear it at all with the windows open (then again my hearing is shot) but a cheap external speaker helps a lot. The handset is nice but kind of heavy. Don't drop it or it'll break easily (I'm on my second)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast