User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fed want to tax the miles you drive...and how to beat it.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fed want to tax the miles you drive...and how to beat it.

1) DO NOT buy a plug in electric car, you do and the feds will OWN you.

2) Keep driving that old TJ with OUT the built in GPS.

Told you this was coming...

Uncle Sam Considers Taxing Motorists for Miles Driven

Published March 25, 2011
    | FoxNews.com

AP2011
    Vehicles pass through a California Departement of Transportation chain inspection stop on eastbound Interstate 80 near Alta, Calif., Thursday March 24, 2011. (AP)

As if fuel and rising gas prices weren't causing enough pain at the pump, Democrats seeking to raise new revenues to support federal spending on highway maintenance are considering taxing motorists for the number of miles they drive.
    The Congressional Budget Office lent credence to the idea in a detailed report released this week, saying that on vehicle-miles traveled -- or VMT taxes -- would be a fair way to charge motorists for the real cost of using the nation's highways and would encourage more efficient use of the highways than fuel taxes.
    "Judging from estimates of the costs of highway use, a system that charged for all such costs would have most if not all motorists paying substantially more than they do now -- perhaps several times more," the report said. "Such a system would maximize the efficiency of highway use by discouraging trips for which costs exceed benefits."
    The report said VMT taxes "would create incentives for people to limit highway use to trips for which the benefits exceed the costs, thus reducing or eliminating overuse of highways and helping identify the economic value of investments in highways."
    But the report also said challenges remain in trying to implement a system that included installing metering equipment in all of the nation's vehicles.

"Having the devices installed as original equipment under a mandate to vehicle would be relatively inexpensive but could lead to a long transition; requiring vehicles to be retrofitted with the devices could be faster but much more costly, and the equipment could be more susceptible to tampering than factory-installed equipment might be."
    Not everyone, however, supports VMT taxes.
    "It's outrageous," said David Selig, a federal tax practitioner. "Right now because the economy of so many people who have to drive a long way to work for less and now, because of this ridiculous proposal, they're actually going to bring home less money than ever before. Moreover, you have no reason to believe the government is actually going to use this money to repair the highways."
    The CBO issued the report at the request of Sen. Kent Conrad, chairman of the Senate Budget Committee, who held a hearing on transportation funding earlier this month.
    The Obama administration wants to spend $556 billion over the next six years, with $468 billion of that going to federal transportation improvement projects.
    Conrad noted that the fuel tax won't be enough to cover the federal deficit in highway spending. By 2021, he said, the gap is projected to be $18 billion a year.
    "We have a very big problem here to deal with and we know that the reality of trust fund financing is based on the gasoline tax," Conrad said. "The gasoline tax is more and more disconnected from the reality of modern transportation, with electric , with hybrids, with renewable fuels, with all of the rest that is happening to change the way we transit. We've got a big problem here between the need and the funding mechanism."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...#ixzz1HokwZUJK
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2003 to Present

Closest Installation

Bamberg
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is an idea!

Divide the tax money that you were going to spend on highways and give it to the States to do their own repairs!
    This would give the States the revenue and allow them to use it how they see fit!
    More power to the States and less to the Fed!!
    I carry a gun because cops don't fit in my holster.

[_____]
    -(0IIIIIII0)-
    __AWoL__
    U-----o---U

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Retards.
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Wheelin requires wrenchin Doppler's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2010

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no problem converting back to state highways to get to where I'm going. May take longer, but the drive is usually more scenic and fuel consumption is close to the same. Ain't no big brother junk going in my vehicles. Plus dumping sections of concrete from every interstate into Boston Harbor isn't as easy as tea!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Bragg
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's for the Children, doncha know.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1989 to 2012

Closest Installation

NSA Orlando
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ridiculous
    Bless those who serve beneath the deep, through lonely hours their vigi keep.
    May peace their mission ever be,
    Protect each one we ask of thee.
    Bless those at home who wait and pray, for their return by night or day.

I am a chapter of one sincitycj's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1989

Closest Installation

Nellis AFB
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's completely assinine. Good luck getting that to work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    went to google to see if I too was a dumb ass!!! Well actually I am.

http://www.sincityrubs.com/

Branch
    Army Reserves
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2007

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so would they keep the miles you drive on privet roads and county roads separate?
    project Road Kill
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDogSoldier View Post
    NOTHING good happens after 10pm, except in the bedroom.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Doolittle-Rural-Fire-Protection-District/170759052726

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brian613 View Post
    so would they keep the miles you drive on privet roads and county roads separate?
    Don't care. I have a Jeep. I don't need no stinkin roads!! I'll just get a: "I have a Jeep and won't be using your stinking roads" tax expemtion.

I mean geez, don't they get enough from us with the damn gas taxes? the majority of which (at least here in MN, granola central of the north) go to non motorized trails!

Doesn't that just figure though, the: Granola eating, round glasses wearing, bunny hugging, whale saving, semi professional protesting, save the spotted owl, anti logging, spandex wearing, hiking, biking, kayaking, Prius/Subaru/Chevy Volt driving Vegan bastards who profit the most from the gas tax's, now want us to pay more money to maintain the roads that the gas taxes should be maintaining now instead of the building of freaking nature trailes made for non motorized transport.

Not that I'm against that sort of thing. I'm not saying....I'm just sayin....

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2006

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well at least these morons are going to be gone in 2012. They are so full of sh!t, I won't raise income taxes for the middle class, they just tax you other ways!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast