2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Portsmouth NS
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik719 View Post

Now if they would just listen to everyone who was SCREAMING for a Jeep truck!

huh?
    2001-2007 Active USAF
    2007-2009 Enlisted ME ARNG
    152 CRC Maine ARNG

MilitaryJeepers - the one website that considers NY state part of New England.

GO ARMY

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to Present

Closest Installation

Cheyenne Mountain
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you guys have seen the oens from pikes peak trailers right? Pretty cool

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miljeep View Post
    I am not sure about the cost, but if you are looking to buy rather than build one check out Overland Equipment Adventure Trailers. http://www.adventuretrailers.com/

There are a lot of other offroad trailers that may be better and handle better than the jeep trailer. Just because it says "jeep" does not mean it is good offroad. Hell, look at the jeep compass.
    $10-$16,000 and change

Quote Originally Posted by HillBillE View Post
    Mario and his partner (can't recall his name right now) at AT seem to be great guys, and have good customer service.

Thier trailers aren't cheap, but they are built for the job! When building my 'HillBillE Hotel" M416 w/RTT, I looked at thier site for ideas.

Lots of info on thier stuff, and on other 'expedition/Jeeping' type trailers, to include some awsome home built trailers, over on the ExPo forum.

Here's the link to the trailer section: http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...splay.php?f=42
    Yes, Yes and Yes...BUT: "they are built for the job!"

I will put a M416 US or M101 Canadian against one ANY DAY. We load them till the springs bow back on them selves and take them, NOT off road. Off road is just a bunch of trails, take them OFF ROAD, OFF the TRIALS and just go cross country, military off road. The M101/M416 has a near 70 year history of this and they are still in the Army inventory.

Anza-Berrego State Park, Ca: http://www.borregospringschamber.com/abdsp/

We were about 7 days into a 10 day exploration trip into S Ca and were working some deep trails in the park. Most of us were pulling M101's when deep into the park near our turn around point, there on the trail almost blocking it was an AT. This puppy was loaded to the gills, its was maxed out on options and he had stacked some more on the AT. Of course its all stainless steel and looks good. But I noticed the AT had a bit more than a Detroit lean. So I asked the guy if everything was ok as there was no cell service out where we were. He said he hopped so and was waiting on parts to repair his AT trailer. Wondering, I said what is wrong with it?

AT uses a propriety (take NOTE of this) suspension system that they developed and own and is not to be found on any other trailer in the world. And it BROKE Richard. And NO, he does not think we have any spare parts he could use.

Then I ask some CRUSHING questions: 1) How long have you been here? At first he said "too long", then he said today is day 3, we are waiting on parts. 2) Gosh, when do you think they will get here...'sometime next week'.

The hubs, bearings, springs, axle, axle bumpers, etc are ALL OEM COMMON parts, this includes the M 101 Canadian model. Even when I needed to extend my bump stops and I bought some off the display at a 4x4 shop made my Rancho expecting to drill new mounting holes in the frame...NOPE, perfect fit and who knows what the Rancho bump stops were made for.

So lets ask this question ONE more time: ARE "they are built for the job!"?

1) Yes whatever you have must be built for the intended job or application, be it a watch being waterproof for a scuba diver, a hammer or a Jeep trailer so are they well built? YES

2) Any GOOD engineer or motorcycle rider knows it not a question of IF but WHEN. All things can fail, then you have to be able to repair or replace and do it trailside if possible. Either parts need be common or in this case what I call the 'AutoZone' test or you need to have one hellva logistics tail and do I dare say a small company in Prescott AZ has a major logistics support operation.

Don't get me wrong the AT is not junk by any means and in a cursory look at their suspension system it looks fine. But IMO and for MY USE it FAILS the test I need for when I might be up chit creek and in dire need of a paddle and in this case NOT any paddle will do.

Then you got to ask one more question? If I took $15,000 and fixed up my mil spec trailer what would I have? You make the call...
    Don

'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, HEMI
    factory 4.5" lift, AIR CONDITIONED Seats
    and heated STEERING WHEEL

17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want a trailer to wheel AT is the way to go. If you want a pop up there are several others that are priced better. The Jeep trailer is a Jeep badged version of a Livin Lite Trailer:

http://www.livinlite.com/

IMHO You can save a ton of coin buy buying your own Jeep stickers.
    HighlanderCJ-7

If you don't stand behind our troops,
    Feel free to stand in front of them!

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SavageSun4x4 View Post

AT uses a propriety (take NOTE of this) suspension system ................

Then you got to ask one more question? If I took $15,000 and fixed up my mil spec trailer what would I have? You make the call...
    I agree wholeheartedly with you Don!! I forgot about AT's new axle/suspension set up, you are right, it's propritery.

That's why I have this:

1967 Stevens M416 w/RTT Total invested: Less than $1500 (this includes the roff top tent)

I also try and build everything so that I can find the parts at just about any auto parts store.

If they're not in stock, most places can get them overnight.

I firmly believe in using 'Off The Shelf' parts!!

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to 2014

Closest Installation

Malmstrom AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Government liquidators has the used MWR campers on occasion. I have always wanted to beef up a pop up and take it with us to fun places. And it would be a HELL of a lot cheaper that 15 grand.

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1978 to Present

Closest Installation

Peterson AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

http://www.afrispooroffroadtrailers.com/default.asp

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/page/trailers/

http://www.kangarootentcity.com.au/welcome/page43.php

http://www.offroadtrailerz.com/page3.html

There are others, but if you are handy you can make a good off road tent trailer for half of what these cost...as for the Jeep version, it is over priced and does not offer what some of these do IMHO

Viewer Discretion Advised Jacob's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2001

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree wholeheartedly with you Don!! I forgot about AT's new axle/suspension set up, you are right, it's propritery.

That's why I have this:

1967 Stevens M416 w/RTT Total invested: Less than $1500 (this includes the roff top tent)

I also try and build everything so that I can find the parts at just about any auto parts store.

Very Nice! That is my exact vision for my future trailer.
    Jacob

Stop organized crime, don't re-elect anyone!

Hiding in plain sight jeepfever's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1992

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HillBillE - didn't you have a build thread for your trailer somewhere - maybe Jeepforum or JeepsUnlimited?
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly screaming -- "WOW! What a Ride!""

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's why I have this:

There it is, good ole military trailer, popup tent on top and few things: The tent may wear out but that trailer won't and your grandson will love it when he inherits it. If it breaks you can fix it today with parts from AutoZone, not set on the side of a trail for a week.

OEM as designed bump stop, circa 1940's
    27072007406.jpg

Replacement, Rancho, skin pack that fit who knows what bought at local 4x4 shop. NO modifications were made, no re drilling of bolt holes, nada...TRY THAT on your razzle dazze, make out of UnObtainium ZIG welded, top made out of scrotum sacks from Yaks off NeverClimbed Mountain in some Stan country.
    27072007407.jpg
    Don

'11 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, HEMI
    factory 4.5" lift, AIR CONDITIONED Seats
    and heated STEERING WHEEL

17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast