1996 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Opinions, I know Y'all have some

I have a soldier that just picked up a 99 TJ completely stock. She wants to run 33's or 35's and I don't know much about the TJ lift kits and max tire sizes, so for those of you who have TJ, if you could chime in and let me know what you're running and how you like the set up and anything else that you think may be helpful knowledge. Thanks
    Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

I don't always go full retard, but when I do I take the Jeep...

Money can't buy Happiness, But it can buy BACON, close enough!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead1985 View Post
    i think i r druck and will rechecck in the morning

___/l ,[____],
    l----------L OllllllO-
    ()_)-----()_)-o-)_)

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would highly recommend a LA kit from most any of the vendors if shes not gonna beat it too bad for 35's. >5" of lift for 35's. 3"ish for 33's. for 33's a short are will work fine. right now i have a cobbled together 5" lift and 31's but this is only for the time being. i have a RC 2.5" lift, 2" spacers, homebrew trackbar brackets, and rerouted the brake lines. the jeep already had the RC lift when i bought it so i left it and made my own lower CA's to make the ride alittle better.

on a side note i would HIGHLY NOT recommend going this route for a lift.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you could suggest metalcloaks fenders. they would allow her to run 33s with the stock suspention and with a budget boost she could run 35s. just let her know if she goes the 35" route she's gonna need to upgrade her brakes and steering for anything past moderate wheeling. if she wants a lift, as stated above i'd go with a long arm for 35s. kind of a do it right the first time thing. i've got a Rock Krawler 4.5" long arm kit on mine and i'm running 35s with no issues.
    2004 Rubi, Poison Spyder Bumper with Trail Stinger. Warn M8000 winch, Rock Krawler X-factor long arm 4 inch lift, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s on Procomp 8 inch steelies, Tom Woods Driveshaft, Poison Syder Full Roll Cage, Tuff Designs rear bumper/Tire carrier, MetalCloak Arched Tube Fenders with 6 Inch Flares, Flowmaster Hushpower Muffler, Vanco Big Disk Brake upgrade, Line-X'd tub and cage.

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest at least 3" for 33s, and 4" for 35s.

I would suggest 2" spacers and a 1" BL for the 33s, or just use 3" springs. Proper backspacing wheels as well. 3.75-4" is probably best for a 33x12.50 tire.

For running 35s, I would suggest 3" springs and a 1" BL, or 4" springs. Again, 3.75 or 4" backspace on wheels for 12.50 wide tires.

I am running 35s with 3" springs and 1" BL. No issues. She should regear if going to 35s for sure (if she has 4.10s with a 4 cyl motor) it should be doable.

Bobby
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Moody AFB
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm running 2.5" springs with 1" spacers and a 1.25" body lift, and I have no problem clearing 35's. With just the 2.5" springs and a 1-1.25" BL I could see no problem clearing 33's. This would also lessen the need for an SYE and custom driveshaft (especially if you combine with a 1" motor mount lift), among other mods such as longer brake lines, etc., depending on how much one wants to spend, there are a million possibilities out there.
    Last edited by threejeeps; 04-02-2011 at 15:49.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a 2000 TJ and I'm running 35"s on 6" of lift, works fine for me.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Beaver View Post
    I have a soldier that just picked up a 99 TJ completely stock. She wants to run 33's or 35's and I don't know much about the TJ lift kits and max tire sizes, so for those of you who have TJ, if you could chime in and let me know what you're running and how you like the set up and anything else that you think may be helpful knowledge. Thanks
    A 3 in lift + 1.75 in body lift + OEM fenders you can run 37 MTR's/KM2's all day long. Beyond that you are just doing it for the visual effect (BLING) and in most cases it subtracts from the capabilities of the Jeep to perform in many rock crawling venues, be it Moab, Johnson Valley, Death Valley or most anywhere in the SW where off camber becomes a factor.

Anything lift beyond 3.5 in then a Long Arm is all but mandatory. However, if instead of throwing money at some nosebleed lift package you clean up the underside of the Jeep especially the Jeep 'shovel' there is little need to go beyond 4 in and keep you stability and center of gravity on your side instead of putting your jeep on its side.

BUT its her money, her jeep do as she sees fit.

I will tell you that no Jeep has ever come out of my shop with a lift beyond 3.5 in and I have never installed a long arm. A properly setup, dialed in Short Arm will out perform most long arms. But my Jeeps look more stock than not, just depends on what you are looking for. Metal Cloak fenders are the bomb for sure and so are the high line fenders, do you need them to clear anything 37 or less, yea, just like you need an accordion to go deer hunting with.

I don't have any problem with those that chose LA, metal cloak and the look good stuff but as every Harley rider knows: Chrome don't get you home...
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how hard is she going to wheel it?

mainly driving and some weekend off roading? 2.5 hd OME lift with 1"bl/mml and 3/4" spacer in the front to level it out and your good. plus it will ride like a caddy.

hardcore off road? then she should know what she wants to do with it herself and no advice would really be needed
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

Branch
    Coast Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1985 to Present

Closest Installation

Bolling AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently bought a Teraflex 3" kit; coils, 6 control arms, front discos, extended rear links, rear bracket relocator, adjustable front track bar, HD steering stablizer and bilsteins.... works great... can't afford the 33" tires it will work with, yet. Don't forget the bumpstop extensions.

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really don't think it will see much off road at least right away, mainly gonna be a tarbaby, but I'm gonna keep working on that.

Thanks for all the input so far guys. It will give her a good base to look at and see what see wants to do.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

I don't always go full retard, but when I do I take the Jeep...

Money can't buy Happiness, But it can buy BACON, close enough!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead1985 View Post
    i think i r druck and will rechecck in the morning

___/l ,[____],
    l----------L OllllllO-
    ()_)-----()_)-o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast