2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Peterson AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lift opinions

Lets hear some input on this guys. A friend of my just bought (buying-signing paperwork) a '11 Sahara. He already has a goal and some products in mind and asked me on some stuff but I figure I'd run it past you guys as the resident experts. He wants to run 37" tires and is looking to mate those with a full traction 4" LA lift and some metal cloke high line fenders. Going to go with an unknown front and rear bumper combo at the moment, Tom Woods drive shafts and a SYE. He is looking at a set of rims but the backspacing is horrible! It's at like 4.63 I told him he will need at least 4.00 back spacing and if he really wants those rims he will need wheel spacers. He is planning on signing up here but hasn't yet. He will though.
    Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    I am officially a Huge Steeler's Fan!
    97 ZJ Murdered Out! (SOLD ), 5.5" Clayton L/A's front and rear, 242 swap, HP30 & 8.8 w/ 4.88's & Eaton ELocker's F/R, 35" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with Kevlar.

Grand Cherokee Owners
    http://www.militaryjeepers.com/commu...php?groupid=44

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No expert, but got a few ideas.

Irish, sounds like a good plan where he is thinking. He is going LA and still holding to 4 in of lift. Look for this Jeep to out wheel his peers. Metalcloaks are not NEEDED but sure as hell look good and a value add in that dept. TW shafts and SYE, no need to say more...

Going to go out on a limb here and say the OEM wheels are 3.75 in BS. The whole purpose of BS is to put the wheel in line with the wheel bearing set. This keeps wheel bearing wear to a min and keeps leverage of the tire-rim combo from stressing the components, wheel bearings, axles, ball joints etc. So, like a sometimes pretty girl, beauty is only skin deep. How much deviation can you have in BS. I have asked a lot of folks and gots lots of different answers and its a VERY complex question. Tire width changes the answer and its not a linear answer. Rare to see wheel spacers thicker than 1.5 inches and I would let that be your guide.
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say that to run 37's with MetalCloaks he won't need 4" of lift. I am hoping to have the MetalCloak fenders on my '11 this weekend, with no lift and 35's (34" actual ride height). He could get away with a smaller lift and 37's with the MC fenders, IIRC. But I can have pictures and measurements for him within a week or so.
    Dirty Dog Offroad
    Poison Spyder|Teraflex|Rugged Ridge|Nemesis Industries|Rock Krawler|MetalCloak|Genright|Rigid Industries and MUCH more!
    Call 678-459-4364 or EMAIL US Find us on Facebook

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1978 to 2014

Closest Installation

USAF Academy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Backspacing, 37"x12.50"x17" tires vs. a Metric size or say a 13.50" or 14.50" the recommended backspacing will change. On TJ's I always say you need as much lift as you are increasing tire size if you are keeping stock fenders and no trimming. With JKs, not sure that applies. One thing I didn't see was new ring and pinion for the axles or a front locker. You can order a Shara with a limited slip or locking read deifferential, but I think to get a factory front locker you need to go with the Rubicon. On an open front 37" tires on a Dana 30 will be okay, but with a front locker that is a lot of tire and weight. I would also recommend looking at a 1" body lift, MC fenders and no lift and a belly up skid plate to improve clearance and break over angle. This set up may allow you to stick with the stock drive line and use the money for a TW drive shaft till later and set the JK up with a winch and other safety/recovery equipment.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Peterson AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll have to look at that. He is ordering it from Jeep. I wasn't paying attention to the axles when I looked at the build sheet but will deff talk to him about that today.
    97 ZJ Murdered Out! (SOLD ), 5.5" Clayton L/A's front and rear, 242 swap, HP30 & 8.8 w/ 4.88's & Eaton ELocker's F/R, 35" Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's with Kevlar.

Grand Cherokee Owners

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2005 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sam Houston
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW the 241 and 241OR in new jeeps are already fixed yolk, no need to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Assassin View Post
    I'd jump all ovet that waggy!!!
    If I offend anyone tonight, I apologize. That's not my intention. I'm not going to guess what your personal line of decency is. I cross my own from time to time. It's how I know I still have one. not that i actually cared in the first place.

"Cougar or not, I'd bang both those broads like a f***ing retard with a tambourine in each hand"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he is buying a Sahara why not buy a Rubicon, get the 4.10 gears and lockers, 4:1 low transfercase?
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Peterson AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know honestly.

Grand Cherokee Owners