Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fiberglass Questions

Okay, So I got a project im looking at doing. The way im planning it, using fiberglass mat and a little wire re-enforcment sounds like a good idea. Im not trying to patch a hole, but im try to make a box sort of. It needs to hold a little bit of weight, maybe 3-4 Ilbs. I was wondering if anyone was familier with fiberglass work and had some advice. The last time I did fiberglass work I was 14 years old and patching holes in sail boats. was a little diffrent as the hole was flat, what I plan on doing will have some small curves. But if anybody has any Lessons learned it would be appreciated. When im done with the project I'll post the pictures and all that fun stuff. I appreciate it.
    93 Cherokee Sport - Mine
    09 Dodge Journey - ComNavWife's

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why fiberglass? Does the whole thing have to be fiberglass? If not, could you just make what you need out of wood and then coat it in fiberglass? Would certainly be easier than trying to shape it...I would think so anyway.

DEATH BEFORE SHORE DUTY! SquiDMonkeY's Avatar

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i thought about shaping it with wood, but the curves would be a pain. Cardboard would work beyond that. Make it easy to get the small curves. Im just curious if anyone has any lessons learned from their previous fiberglass excursions. i also thought of using metal... but i dont have access to a welder or anything, so it would just be a pain
    93 Cherokee Sport - Mine
    09 Dodge Journey - ComNavWife's

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 2001

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I'd try cardboard...would think that would be difficult to make it keep the shape until the fiberglass set. Metal would be good to get the shape, but I'd only use that if weight wasn't a factor. That's why I suggested wood.

The closest I have to working with anything close to fiberglass is repairing my surfboard on occasion. hahahaha

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think on alot of fiber glass parts a mold is used and the (mat)sheet/resin is layered in and a roller is used to romove air from in between the sheets. Thisis what I understand from a person I knew that made boat parts from fiber glass.

So short answer for me is try and find something to make a mold or frame of and layer your fiber glass in or on it.

$.02 worth lol
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2005 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

glass work is like paint, prep prep prep prep some more then lay glass, how intricate are the curves your trying to make. when i glass i use styrafoam from my old man. usually we make wheel pants for his model airplanes. and it gets hot as it cures, so keep that in mind.
    -Jeb

99 GC Ltd. V8. plenty of goodies, 6in lift 33s, rear locker, 12v cooler, steel bumpers fr+rr, Roof Top Tent,
    01 TJ 4.0 auto.. stock street queen for now.