Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wish me luck........

Wish me luck.

The LJ just got dropped off yesterday at Xtreme in Fredericksburg.

Getting 5.13 gears and Vanco big brake kit installed. Also getting whatever is causing my angry sparrows fixed.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1965 to 1968

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck,bud.
    If you don't give up---You will never fail.

8th Combat Engineers (Sapper) (Vietnam 66)

F it! It ain't my Jeep. Ricky Booby's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck.
    www.pnwjeep.com

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convienent store, not a government agency.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Little Rock AFB
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck!
    "Dignity, Reverence, Respect"
    ------------------------------------------

2011 JKU SPORT

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2000

Closest Installation

Schofield Barracks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate angry sparrows. good luck with that
    "Captain, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me. That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave.”

Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks!

Looked the first post over.

Wasent trying to brag. Many stories in this area of about shops taking a ton of money for substandard work, then not making it right afterward - and I also really need those brakes............
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIP: Show up at a shop you want to CONSIDER doing some work on your rig. Have a list of all mods you want them to perform. Gears, brakes, lift, etc. DO NOT talk Dynatrac D60's, just say I want new axles sets for my 37's, I need the axles to have lockers.

This lets them make recommendations, Dynatrac, Currie, ARB, Detroit etc. Let them SELL you and the components they recommend and WHY. Ask if they are dealer for them. If they suggest ARB lockers ask them about Detroit's.

You are looking for:

Do they poor mouth components they do not sell?

Do they ONLY suggest products they sell?

Are they willing to obtain a component they don't sell because you want it and they failed to make a case that their product was better for this application.

Are they charging MSRP on components or are you getting a discount. Generally speaking, small shops like me only get 10-15% discount. That is because I cannot afford to do 'buy in'. Buy in is a certain qty of parts for stockage. Walker Evans had a min buy in of 5 sets of wheels. Qty varies but generally its gonna cost you several grand to buy in, but now your discount starts jumping to 20-25% or more. There are also different levels of buy in based upon larger qty's, 25 sets of wheels instead of 5.

Then there is 'rebate'. Buy in and sell x qty over the year and get a check for $2500 bucks and a LOT more in some cases. So buy in then sell a lot of the product and get a rebate at the end of the year.

Now a small shop like mine, I could not afford buy in, so I just sold parts at my cost and in some cases my client could find it cheaper from some of the big parts houses than I could get from the maker. Point being you can expect some discount on components from a shop that carries that product line. Not much, but about 10% if they are a dealer for that product.

Be careful about the squeeze on costs. Many shops see parts as a major profit center, some like me, only make money on the labor side. So I do not have a dog in the parts sale, you can bring you own (as long as its new in box) and I will install and bill for labor.

You are looking for service after the sale, does it work properly and do they fix it at their cost. What guarantee do they have, make them spell it out or put it in writing.

Some parts like a lift kit require a dial in after installed, this is TIME consuming and time is money. But FEW if any will dial in components. 1) few know how too, they are just bolt on shops and that means bolt 'n go, they bolt on, you pick it up and go. To dial in a a good lift, ant rock set up will take MORE time than was spent installing it.

Yep, GOOD LUCK...
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Savage,

Thanks for the tips and info on shops. You always give sound advice. Been hard in the Jeep game for about 6 years now and have both great and very poor experiances with shops. With gears and this brake mod being so expensive, the wife will lose it if its not right.

Although there seem to be alot of modified Jeeps and Trucks in Northern VA, there are only a very few decent shops for them. The shop with the best reputation charges an absolute fortune. ($1,200 per axle for a regear)

I have had good results from MVC, but they are three hours away - and time/fuel/personal issues prevent me from travelling there. Ended up at a small shop in Fredericksburg an hour away.

I got multiple referrals of quality work done before I spoke to him. Visited his shop and its clean and very professional. Somthing that impressed me is that he bid the job for the brakes alot lower than the others. I asked him why. He told me "I have to mostly disassemble your axles for the regear anyway. I am only charging you for the additional time involved for the brake mod of setting them up/bleeding.' 'They are billing you doubble for two seperate complete jobs and stealing your money.' I was pretty impressed.

Finally, when asked about his guarantee and service after the sale he said 'If you have problems with any install or parts I sell you, I take care of it at no cost as long as its not obious trail abuse.' 'If its a part you bring me - we figure out if its a install problem or part problem. Then its the manufacturerer warranty and I charge for labor again to fix it.' Seems fair - the man has to feed his family.

Ill post on how it turns out.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$1200 per axle for re gear, that is INSANE. I just did one before I moved down here and I just included in the overall job. A re gear should not run more than $350 - $450 per axle, front slightly higher.

That is my general warranty, I back my work 100% and if I cannot make you happy with repairs then I will pay to have it done somewhere else. I have never had to do that tho.

I am just a retired guy who has been jeeping for over 40 years, I don't run a big shop, don't want to and don't need this revenue stream to pay my bills, just a fun thing and I make enough money to buy tools and toys. I keep shop rate low as I work out of the house, many guys do and do for that reason. Running a shop out of your house you have to work a bit harder and a bit cheaper as your customer knows where you live.

Let us how things work out at this shop, I hope well...
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i was in san diego i ran a craigslist add for gear installs. id charge $250 an axle. you could even sit in my garage and drink beer while i work on it. i had more gear changes lined up every weekend than i could handle. most of them were referrals after they would go to 4wp or the big house places that charge over $500 an axle with a 30 day warranty. i learned how to do gears after ORW did a set in a 9" rear i had and the safety tied the bolts wrong and i lost 3 ring gear bolts at 70 mph on the hwy. made for an interesting trip. destroyed my 2 rear less than 1k miles 38" sx's. they wouldnt do a thing for me. past the 30 day mark, i pulled the 3rd without towing it right too them first and they said there was no way to prove what failed. it destroyed the 3rd even. never again will i pay for a damn thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast