1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gearing Question

I currently have 4.56 gears, isn't the ruling if you are within 10% you can run a different gear set? If this is true I can run 4.56 and 4.88's together. Is this right?
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Viewer Discretion Advised Jacob's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2001

Closest Installation

Fort Lewis
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say no. I actually thought it was 5% and would have to only be in 4 wheel on dirt or other low traction surface. Try it and let us know how it works out though. Make sure you take pictures.

Actually if you ran bigger tires in the back (or wherever the 4.88s are) you could theoretically get it to work though.
    Jacob

Stop organized crime, don't re-elect anyone!

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1986 to 1992

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That would put stress on your driveline components....not sure what the benefits are for doing this....
    Go Navy!!

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its like 2 or 5 % . if you had 4.56's and 4.55's youd be ok. for instance the most 9" gears used to only come in 5.89's and front 60/44 could get 5.86's youd be ok.

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I knew there was a % but I couldn't recall what is was/is. I am not going to spend $500 on an XJ D44 anyway, was just curious
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

on top, usually

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2002 to 2010

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I knew there was a % but I couldn't recall what is was/is. I am not going to spend $500 on an XJ D44 anyway, was just curious
    i just found out my 35 is toasted after 6 months. i ordered all the parts i need to build my 35 spline 9" with spool for $670. call around and haggle with them. i still need small crap like $12 seals, fluids, and a 1310-1350 conversion ujoint $10.

No Mas Jeepalonie

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I already have a D44 with Alloy USA Shafts and 4.56 gears. The other is stock shafts, 4.88's and amini spool. Like I said I wasjust curious
    Jeepless Again

2008 Ford F150

Senior Member Serious Offroad Products's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1980 to 1984

Closest Installation

Peterson AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Fred, you'l blow up your t-case.

If you gears are within .01 of each other, you're okay.
    I.E.: 4.10 and 4.11, 4.09 and 4.10

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fred, as you can tell there are a lot of answers and while the spread may be from 2-10 % they all are saying essentially the same thing nonetheless.

What really impacts the running of any differential gearing f vs r is the application. Run in sand, mud, loose dirt and I am sure a 4.56/4.88 combo would be fine, I would not do it, but I doubt you would suffer failure.

Change the rules from the above to rocks or want to wheel in Moab on the "slick rock"* and a difference of 4.56/4.88 and expect to gernade the weaker of the two axle sets shortly after you leave the trail head if you run the typical 231/241 Jeep TJ/JK transfer cases. There are some transfer cases and setups that can absorb to some extent and differential input at different rotational speeds from separate axles. But mechanically driven/coupled units will not survive at all on hard gripping surfaces of any kind.

* slick rock of Moab: Its NOT slick, in fact its extremely high traction sandstone, that picks up a dark brown patina that appears shiny when wet and looks slick, thus slick rock. Its a visual thing only.

One poster did mention that that running different air pressure can mitigate somewhat. This is true, lower pressure will generally reduce the effective tire height. Bring you air gage and a tape measure.

Fact is the transfer case is an output device and its designed to output at equal rotational speeds*. Change the ratio and put it on a hard surface and the tires, axle, drive-shafts no longer want to rotate at the same speed and hence become and input device that when driven by the weight of the Jeep or steepness of obstacle, into the axles, transfer case can cause potential catastrophic failure at worst and extremely high wear or chain stretch at best.

* some transfer cases and or systems have modifiers, limited slip devices and viscous coupling designed to manage the output by directing torque to various combinations of tire/traction/wheelspin based upon the variable feedback. This desgin allow them to better absorb different rotational speeds.

Take away: As a general rule I could not recommend you run different axle ratio's regardless of application. Having said that you can based upon the varibles of application, 4x4 design parameters and mitigation of air pressure to tire sizes. Its clearly your choice to do so. A gear swap/install should run you about $500 or so per axle and its problem solved. The downside is potential catastrophic failure and its game over man, which can translate into several $k in expense.

Let us know what you do...
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com