Served
    Served
    1970 to 1976

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default p0700 transmission code

Right before going on vacation, and just after our mudding exercise with the lady's, the Jeep check engine light came on and on checking, it was throwing this code. P0700. Further checking showed it was a code being put out by the transmission control module. I checked the transmission at the fill tube(where you also check fluid level) and it is clear, red tinted like normal, no bubbles, no foam, no pink color as in showing water contamination. Fluid level is at normal range, not over full like it would be with water being taken in. When stating off from a stop, transmission shifts nice and smooth, goes through all the gears. After about 8 minutes and making a stop, transmission goes into the "Fail Safe Mode" 2nd gear being only forward gear. Now I can turn engine off, and re-start, and drive it normally like the first time. It will shift normally until I stop, then Fail Safe Mode again. Any thoughts. This started right after our taking it out mudding. It started right before we got to the house. Since I was going on vacation, I let it sit until I got off vacation.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1970 to 1976

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Up Date

Ok, today went by an auto parts store and used their OBD tester. It showed primary code of the P0700, then secondary code of P1776- Solenoid switch valve latched in left rear position. That is what it scrolled. A good friend of mine, who is a Certified Auto Technition was in the same store buying something. I told him my problem, showed him the information I had, and he said he will check it out on the work computer tomorrow and let me know. Bit, by bit this is coming together.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey doc hope you get her fixed up and working right. but you know what jeep stands for right?

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1970 to 1976

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha, yes. And the pockets are empty!! I did find out there was a TSB issued for this problem. Hope that helps me,,

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Feel your pain on tranny issues. Mine is costing me over a grand. Let us know what you finally figure out.

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1970 to 1976

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went by the Jeep dealership today to get a handle on this problem, and whats involved. Repair is to the tune of 1000.00+ I was informed. That's crazy. A single solenoid that is bolted to a valve body under the transmission filter, whew, must be Gold or something. Reckon I'm going to take a look myself. I can drive the Jeep around town until I get to around 35mph, then it downshifts to 2nd and stays there until I turn it off. Re-start, all is well until I hit about 35mph. Oh well, might just plant flowers in it. You could control the light with the roof off and on, and you can drive it around to different places in the yard. Mobil planter, ha. Peggy's about ready to dynamite it. Each time it went off road, and we don't abuse it, it cost. Wish I still had my Old 1976 Bronco. It would run circles around this heep, ah, jeep. Really, it would. Wife informed me that this Jeep no longer goes off road, at all. I tend to agree with her. We now own a Mall Crawler, yep, sure do. I pulled the star decals off, and lettering. Pulling off road lights and brush bar later in week. Figure a Mall crawler doesn't need them. I'm putting it just about back to stock.
    Last edited by healerdoc1; 07-29-2008 at 03:44.

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hate to hear it Doc
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1978 to 1986

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww, come on, Doc!

Way too early to retire her. Way too early, Doc.

I understand your pain, but don't start stripping her just yet. Do your homework first. The Jeep stealership is known as a stealership for a reason. I do not know what year your jeep is or how many miles are on it, but there are a few things to do before blowing her up!

First of all.....GET A SECOND OPINION!

If it is out of warranty, fine. How far out? If you are still really low in miles. You should call Chrysler and complain. Call more than once if you get no satisfaction. Normally you will get a different person everytime you call. If it has a TSB, there is a chance you will find compassion on the other end.

If your jeep is relatively older and no where near warranty thats ok too.
    Do your research on the internet. You may find out it is an easy fix, and you could do it yourself or have a friend help you with it.

I know it isn't the same, but the rear carrier inside the rear dif on my wife's Pacifica broke. The Stealership quoted me $2300 to fix it. I went to everybody on ebay that was selling used engines for the Pacifica, and sent them an email asking if they might have a rear diff for her rig. I got 5 responses and while I didn't buy the cheapest, I spent a total of $800 all inclusive to have the stealership repair it!

Just be patient and do your homework, and I would bet you could get her done for a helluva lot less than you were quoted.

Just my 2 cents worth!

There are only two types of ships...Submarines, and Targets!!!

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1967 to 1971

Closest Installation

NWS Earle
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doc: Don't torpedo your rig yet. You might have to reinstall everything if you change your mind or want to sell it. My '88 Bronco finally started costing more to fix then the payments on my JK. AAA is happy again too, I think.