User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Dogs versus Rausch Creek. If you went to Camp MJ East Coast 2011, your thoughts are requested

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Richardson
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Big Dogs versus Rausch Creek. If you went to Camp MJ East Coast 2011, your thoughts are requested

Just curious since I have not been to either. Maybe people can post up some info about accomadations at both, maybe compare the two, the positive and the negative points for each, etc..

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1988 to 2002

Closest Installation

Fort Belvoir
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im partial to Rausch Creek, IMO more rocks and its flater, Not so keen on riding up and down mountains and lots of mud. I like rocks and some flater ground, muddy hills scare the crap out of me. I'm more of a rock climber then mid slinger I guess. It was a pretty cool place though and I had a lot of fun. Groups over 10 people are always a bad idea.
    Last edited by Scrambler84; 05-16-2011 at 08:12.
    Red 2012 4dr JK Rubi Superwinch 12.5i SR, 3.5 AEV lift, 35 KM2's, RROR Skids, PSC bmprs/evap, Synergy steering/trackbar
    Black 1984 CJ Scrambler 4" lift and JK take off 32s, 3 sets of doors and 3 tops
    M416 1967 frame off rest 1/2 done, with new wiring and led lights, wooden top

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2005 to 2012

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wanted to say first off that in no way is this intended to offend anyone. everyone there that i met was extremely nice.

my first planned/organized trip. it was fun but i was kind of disappointed with the event. seemed as if the trail rides werent well planned and very often the speed of the front vehicle was WAY to slow. the size of the intermediate group on Saturday was WAY to big which isnt a problem when doing trails without anything major. but when we came to the rock and the hill we were at each for at least an hour. I had TONS of fun the first half of sat, second half not so much. trickle was BA as hell. also, i dont know if just to many people were eating at the bbq saturday that didn't pay ahead but there was not even close to enough food, should have ordered double of everything. i think it was awesome that they had sponsors, and a raffle with so many prizes. I plan on hitting RC sometime soon. hopefully this summer.

what i think BD should do is have a good trail map made up. and have 5-Jeep groups go wherever they want.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1980 to 1981

Closest Installation

McGuire AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First @ theryans33 and everyone ..... AARS are only going to help us make the next event better so dont worry about me or anyone else`s feelings or being offended.

I will just make a few relevant statements: First unfortunately I nor anyone else I know of can control the weather and as such last minute changes had to be made, because of rain we had change the trail assignments and ran only beginner and intermediate trails, so that increased the number of rigs in each group way beyond what we had planned. Originally plan was 7-10 per trail. Another factor was the relatively low showing(approx.26 vehicles vs. 40 to 50 we expected) so low numbers meant less trail leaders(bigdogs supplied and their policy).. as well we had some carnage so that slows things down ...

as for the bbq ... again we had to scramble almost last minute to put together food ??(assignment change) the food was good just not enough , that issue will be ironed out for future events..

@Scrambler84 unfortunately the rain forced us to eliminate the advanced trails,which lead to larger trail groups(we wanted smaller groups) trust me there are more rocks here at bigdogs but in that weather it would have been real ugly..... I can tell you the planners are not "mudslingers"

but please bring it ,....we need to know all the ways to improve the event , but remember certain changes are unavoidably we must "adapt and overcome"..
    JP

NEVER FORGET
    olllo
    Semper Fidelis

"THE ONLY THING NECESSARY FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING". ...... EDMUND BURKE.....

PS3 gamer tag- jeepinjp/clan tag- MJ COD:MW2

WFTW http://www.wheelersforthewounded.org/
    WFTWNJ http://wheelersforthewoundednj.org
    NJJC http://www.northjerseyjeepclub.org/
    NOHVCC http://www.nohvcc.org
    BRC http://www.sharetrails.org/ B.O.D. 2009 V.P. 2011-2013 Pres. 2013-2015

I work hard because millions on welfare depend on me....

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeti's After Action Report:

I will start with the Negatives first.

Negatives:
    1. Group Size, Personally I prefer a smaller group size as well. Yes weather played havoc with trail selections, but if we has split the Intermediate Group in Half, with half starting Trickle and the other half starting on Winch Hill, we would have been ok.

2. Trail Speed (in between the trails) - by the end of the day it was a snail crawl. Livable but it was a compliant heard.

3. Food definitely not enough, at $15 per head we would have been better off going into town and doing the raffles at Golden Corral. They let large groups have a section closed off for them if called ahead so they can plan. Also know a few BBQ places around that come out and will cook all day there rather than just bring out the trays like we were having a field op.

4. Group Spotting - Yeah too many spotters can drive a driver nuts. Anyone at anytime can yell out stop, but the driver should only have to pay attention to one spotter at a time. There were many cases of several calling out the spot to the driver rather than letting the actual spotter know a condition they couldn't see. Nothing bad happened because of it, but you could tell there was a few that got fustrated at it.

5. Weather - Yup can't be controlled, but really the rain was mainly when we were off trail just making everything nice and slick for us.

6. Price - this is one major disadvantage to the Cove. It has a per person Land Use fee. This is weather you camp & wheel or wheel & motel it.

7. Gate Lockdown - closing at midnight fine. But many of us were up at 5am ready to go. Waiting on the gate to open 3 hours later was not good.

The Positives:
    1. I had a blast, it was good seeing everyone and getting out to the woods.

2. For Me - Closeness. Nothing beats having it in your backyard. But when you think about it VA in general makes for a good central East Coast location.

3. Working together - everyone in our group worked together during any breakage.

============================================
    Thing I might do differently.
    1. Smaller Groups
    2. Better Caterer or Plan with a Local Restraunt to have a bunch of smelly's come in.
    3. Location Specific(Big Dogs) arrange something with John Hunt about the per person fee with a family rate or something. For me alone it isn't bad, but when you get someone like Josh with his wife and two kids who always wheel and camp with him your getting into a cost point of unaffordable.

==========================
    Overall great time, the only negatives that really affected me were the group size and the food. I was just listing the compliants I heard about as well.
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1980 to 1981

Closest Installation

McGuire AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks Bill

i gotta get to work to so I can fix my shit now...
    JP

NEVER FORGET
    olllo
    Semper Fidelis

"THE ONLY THING NECESSARY FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING". ...... EDMUND BURKE.....

PS3 gamer tag- jeepinjp/clan tag- MJ COD:MW2

WFTW http://www.wheelersforthewounded.org/
    WFTWNJ http://wheelersforthewoundednj.org
    NJJC http://www.northjerseyjeepclub.org/
    NOHVCC http://www.nohvcc.org
    BRC http://www.sharetrails.org/ B.O.D. 2009 V.P. 2011-2013 Pres. 2013-2015

I work hard because millions on welfare depend on me....

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2005 to 2012

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

exactly what yeti said. and i can understand the weather/breakage issues with group size and hold ups. but i think there are things we could have done to avoid them. also I will say that the help on the trail with breakages was excellent. i didnt bring tools like i normally would simply due to cargo space, but others had plenty and were more than willing to offer em up. im still trying to find out whos ratchet straps i have as i owe them to someone. and marinedawg freely offered a new spring plate and u bolt to me. i also got a new u joint bearing cap since i lost a couple needles out of mine when pulling the driveshaft. being this was my first planned trip and i had extremely limited prep time due to work scheduling, i dont see myself being without spare parts/tools again.

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theryans33 View Post
    ...snip... i dont see myself being without spare parts/tools again.
    I don't blame the tools on you.
    We started the day with 4 CJ's and between you all you could rebuild a full CJ.
    Just by the time we lost yours, all the others had fallen out as well with issues.
    Take joy in the fact your CJ made it the longest.

Most of us are still trying to figure out why Jeremy had a CJ/YJ U-Bolt/Spring Plate spare when he was driving a TJ.
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could have kept going but to many hills with faded brakes. Im sure pat or rob didnt want me using them as bump stops lol. Next trip ill have disc brakes. Drums all around just dont cut it. All in all it was a great trip. Some of the best times were back at camp hanging with everyone swapping stories around the fire watching Drewid fall asleep. lol
    WHEN IN DOUBT, STOMP ON IT, HIT IT HARDER, USE A BIGGER HAMMER, CLOSE YOUR EYES AND HANG ON!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1983 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a blast. This was my first organized event as well so I don't really have anything to compare it to. My thanks to all those who put it together, I know there was a TON of unappreciated behind the scenes work to pull this off!!! You all did an AWESOME job!!

I also want to thank everyone who jumped in to help me get my CJ fixed on the trail (twice!). I saw a lot of team work on the trail that I don't think you would see in other clubs. People loaned tools, parts and time with no hesitation or questions asked.

My comments (some are repeats):

1) Location was great for me, close to home (2 hours) and the trails were fun (I only made it through one; first of the CJ casualties).
    2) The "land use" fee wasn't too bad for me because I was by myself. I can see it being steep for a family of four at $120. Maybe we could negotiate a per vehicle fee.
    3) Locking the gate was a major issue. Besides the inconvenience, what if someone had a major medical issue? I don't like being "locked in" like a 12 year old.
    4) Can't comment on the food 'cause I missed the dinner while I was turning wrenches on the broke CJ
    5) How about a swap meet at the next event?
    6) Can we have a fall/winter camp MJ too? Please?
    Real Jeeps are built, not bought
    '83 CJ7 - "Donkey"
    '80 CJ7 - gone but not forgotten

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast