1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Differential Difficulties

Ok, so 2 weeks ago I installed these Riddler Diff Covers on my 05 TJ Rubicon (Dana 44)
    IMAG0224.jpg
    No prob, I then filled with 75W-140, as per most tech data I came across suggested. Had no leaks...last week, made a 45 min drive and the next day I noticed gear oil dripping from both ends of the breather hose, on the axle and dripping down the fuel tank...
    IMAG0222.jpg
    IMAG0223.jpg
    Then this weekend I had to drive up to denver and back (about 1 hour each way) and noticed the SAME thing...I was driving around 65-70, nothing crazy. I was thinking I had just overfilled the diff, since the new fill hole is about an inch higher than OEM, but common sense says that if I did overfill then that should have all blown out on the first run, not 2 weeks later... the only other thing I can think of is that the parking lot has some angled parking(not sure about exact angle, maybe 7-15 degrees?)
    IMAG0225.jpg
    and when I have to park on this incline, the fluid shifts to the drivers' side and thus gets into the vent hose and gets blown out as I drive. Here's the kicker...I havent noticed the vent dripping when I park here and have to drive in town...seems only when I drive interstate. Also I was parked on the level areas this weekend and think that the whole angle parking theory is bunk... So now I'm back to square 1. Has this happened to ANYONE else?!?! What are your ideas??? Thanks in advance for your help!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. "

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If that is all you did, install a new cover then safe bet its an overfill condition. Most aftermarket diff covers have a higher fill plug with little testing as to exactly how much overfill you get.

Highway driving heats up the oil and it expands + highway driving slings oil everywhere, as that is how the diff lubes itself 'oil sling'. I could not tell, but it appears your diff is pinon UP due to lift and other suspension mods. While this is ok it does change where the oil level sets relative to the ring gear. In this case I would suspect your ring gear is sitting deep into the oil bath and doing some serious slinging.

NOTE: Max pinon UP is about 16 degrees, after that the oil has difficulty in lubing the pinion bearing.

Remedy:
    1) Lower oil level

2) Allow it to continue and it will lower itself but leaves its mark where you park and oil up under the Jeep

3) Take you oil breather hose and run it up higher in the Jeep, some guys run them up the back of the sport cage

4) Take some Scotch Brite pads and cut a piece large enough to firmly but not too tight shove up into the breather hose. This will allow it to continue to breathe but keep the oil from climbing up the hose so bad

let us know what you do and if it stops...
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much fluid did you put in it?
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Don on this one.

Had the same thing happen with my D30 when I put SOLID brand cover on. The fill hole is higher than the factory one, and it got overfilled.

It took a while to 'self level', and it blew gear oil out the breather until it did.

Now, on my CJ, it has lock outs, so nothing was spinning unless I was in 4WD. And that was on the trail, going slow, and it still blew oil out.

I not only lowerd the level, I also installed a 3/8" breather, replacing the 1/4" line that was on there. My breather line ran up to fenderwell, as high as the hood.

I'm helping a member in my club, Jeeperkate, replace the 42rle in her Rubicon. She just installed the same Riddler cover on hers ('o5 TJ) I'll have to look and see if hers is leaking, and find out how much fluid she put in.

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trailsnail View Post
    How much fluid did you put in it?
    If memory serves, it took just over 4 quarts...filled it to bottom lip of the fill hole
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. "

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1995 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, so it sounds like you all are thinking the same thing as I was...just overfilled it...I like all of Don's suggestions, and have heard of some guys relocating the breather to the cage, for now I'm thinking I'll just let it "self level" as Hillbille did, as you can see from the pics, the parking lot is no stranger to oil spots (not mine), I'll keep wiping up the overflow and let it be...just didn't want to screw something up by assuming. Once again, thanks for all you guys' help!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1991 to 2012

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4 quarts is too much, that's probably the problem. My 44's in the Rubi only require 2.1 quarts. Dana 30 requires 1.25 quarts, and Dana 35's require 1.75 quarts.
    Sven
    Colorado Springs Chapter Calendar and News

'04 Wrangler Rubi, 5.5" Extreme Duty LA, 35" Goodyear Duratrac's, Warn RC 9.0 (Sold - My life sucks)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1997 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Sill
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A case of mistaking pints for quarts.....4 Pints= 2 quarts..... 4 quarts = your TJ will be marking its territory for a while...... I did the same on mine while back.......