1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default rocker paint

OK guys I have schrockworks rocker rails that I originally painted with spray rustoleum only to have the paint chip and rust through. I just sanded and painted them with truck bed liner I think similar to por 15 has anyone else used this stuff or have any tricks to keep the paint from chipping? Being in upstate NY with our winters doesn't help I know but I hate rust. Thanks

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Closest Installation

Elmendorf AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too have Shrockworks rockers and rattle canned mine 2+ years ago. I have had to go back and do touch ups, but those were due to rock rash. This is the reason I use rattle can' rustoleum in fact. The key is prep. I wet sanded mine, then wiped down with a tack cloth to get all the residue from sanding off. Haven't had issues with flaking, just rock rash.

PREP is the key. Hope it holds up better this time. I'm haveing problems with my rear bumper tire carrier flaking. Guess I didn't give it the same attention I gave the sliders. I hate doing a job twice, but I'm tired of spraying over the flaking. Will likely be a job for the winter months
    06 LJ | 4.0L | NSG-370 | D44/D30 w/4.88's | 4.5" RE Superflex lift | 35-12.50-15 Cooper STT's on 15x10 Cragan steelies | RockKrawler X-Factor steering | Shrockworks sliders | DirtWorx bumper/tire carrier | LockRite auto locker | Midland CB w/4 ft Firefly antenna | SOLID rear diff cover | DIY thumb throttle | 750w power inverter | Smittybilt XRC8 winch ...and GROWING

http://wheelersforthewounded.org
    http://www.mississippivalleyjeepers.com

Branch
    Navy
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im here in Nebraska and have the same problems. Even the powder coat peals off in sheets after a year. I have resolved to annual recoating of my rockers, bumpers and stinger. Also I recoat the frame and suspension. Ive been using Duplicolor bed liner (blue can, black lid) about $9.00 a can. It has a light texture (so it helps hide the imperfections) it goes on gloss black and thin. A local used jeep dealer interduced me to it, he sprays the undercariage of all his jeeps.
    I will continue to use this untill I can afford to have everything sandblasted and Line-X'ed.
    good luck

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1967 to 1994

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sumptin tells me you boys are not wheeling hard enough....
    Don

'15 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock...OLD SCHOOL 6 Spd Manual Trans
    17 Oaks Ranch Companies LLC

www.savagesun4x4.com

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2006

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep a few cans laying around, touch up as needed. It's $2 a can. Dings, scratches and screwed up paint come with the territory!
    Liberals are like Slinkies, They are pretty much worthless, but always bring a smile when you push them down the stairs!
    Your about as useful as a shit stain on the adult diaper of life
    "malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium"
    I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    /l ,[____],
    l---L []llllll[]-
    ()_)-()_)-o-)_)

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 1992

Closest Installation

Fort Drum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah thanks guys I think the biggest problem is the salt we use on the roads here. I also used the duplicolor but it was the roll on kind and it looks pretty good for know. I think your right more off road would be nice I average rausch creek about 3 x a year.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1998 to 2006

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    yeah thanks guys I think the biggest problem is the salt we use on the roads here. I also used the duplicolor but it was the roll on kind and it looks pretty good for know. I think your right more off road would be nice I average rausch creek about 3 x a year.
    I know all about salt bro! Here in MN they put it on the road like a fat kid on fries! After the winter that would never end I now have 3 holes in my floor boards that need to be patched! I have also heard using the krylon hammered paint hides a lot of imperfections!
    Liberals are like Slinkies, They are pretty much worthless, but always bring a smile when you push them down the stairs!
    Your about as useful as a shit stain on the adult diaper of life
    "malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium"
    I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    /l ,[____],
    l---L []llllll[]-
    ()_)-()_)-o-)_)