Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default beadlocks

Ok well i am gathering stuff for my front axle swap. There will eventually be a build thread. I am going hp44 from 70's f250 cut down to yj width. I think it should be solid set up on 35s. And am adding chromo axles in my 8.8 so to have 5x5.5 .

Unfortunatley my marsh factory beads will have to go in the garage for project "not his".
    If any one has followed me you know i am very budget conscious. I am in the act of getting some steel cj rims for $50.

I am looking at diy beads. There are a bunch out there. But the longfields seem the best quality as the have an anti coning device on them. But are almost 100 a rim. I have also been looking at the inner air locks. That are 520 for 4.

Now remember i drive my rig daily in the city of chicago and get to wheel about 8 times a year. But in conditions where beads are waranted. Any and all advice welcome. And yes i have friends that are qualified welders. Heck if it wasnt for friends i wouldnt be where i am today with my rig.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1992 to 2000

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did the weld in bead locks from AtoZ (32 bolt), it was $199 to the door for 4 to fit 15" rims. Used my stock CJ rims. Don't remember the price for hardware, as I buy in large quantities. Also used nyloc nuts. Welded the inner rings did not grind down the welds, just wire brushed them clean. When mounting, ran a bead of silicone on top of the welds all the way around. Used v-belts instead of anti-coning rings (don't remember price, but the v-belts were 1/2 the price of the rings at the time). I have not had any leaks in 1.5yrs, run 15.5 psi front and 11.5 psi rear.

I have welded up for others 3 complete sets, not heard any complaints. 2 of the guys had theirs balanced and are run on daily drivers.
    Dan M.

'85 CJ-7, 4.0L,T18,4.10s,35s,Fully locked,winch,cage

Wheelin requires wrenchin Doppler's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2010

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I posted a link last week for a Quadratec sale on beadlocks. You could get a set of 4 for about $300 plus shipping and not have any extra labor involved.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheres link can u repost...which beads were on sale

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok found it. Hope still there tuesday when i get paid...lol. not too crazy bout 4 inch bs tho. Like to stay in the 3.75 3.5 range.

Wheelin requires wrenchin Doppler's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1990 to 2010

Closest Installation

Tinker AFB
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jackhammer View Post
    Ok found it. Hope still there tuesday when i get paid...lol. not too crazy bout 4 inch bs tho. Like to stay in the 3.75 3.5 range.
    Call them and see if they stock a smaller BS'd wheel, never know.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1990 to 1993

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like 4inch bs gonna be cutting close. Have 9 steel rims coming my way for 125. Set of offroad rims and street for when i can afford some boggers.

So back to the original question. What diy bead kits have you run and the pros n cons?