User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Suspension Lift Going on Today!

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1976 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New Suspension Lift Going on Today!

Well, it's 0515 and I've already been up for an hour. I'm excited and can't sleep because today I'm installing (with the help of an expert friend) a FabTech 4" suspension lift on my 98 TJ. I've got a 2" budget boost on there now, and I think this "true" suspension lift will finally get me in the game. Hope to post a picture or two (maybe before and after) later.

Anyone have any experience with FabTech suspensions? I picked mine up at the York PA All Breeds Jeep Show a couple of weeks ago.

Next mod: some M/T Classic II wheels

Machete wielding woodsman 94GC52's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome, Fabtech kits go on pretty easy.
    Got Machete?

98 GC Special Edition 5.9l (build in progress) RE 4.5" SF Lift, Mickey Thompson 33" MTZ's, 15x10 ProComp 152's, ProtoFab Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, 10k winch, Np242 Tcase Swap...

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was running a Fabtech kit on my 2wd Ford Ranger. I had really good experiences with Fabtech's quality and ease of installation.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

send some pics of the install if you can, you are dong what I want to do. I have the 2" BB and 1" BL already and want to do a (true) 4" with it. 1st I need to get the cv drive shaft and SYE and a belly up skid and a rear tire cary bumper and a front bumper and a winch and a ..........j/k let us know how you like the lifts stacked up.
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1994 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put a 4 inch super lift in on my 98 tj it was a lil cheaper. Havent had a prob with it at all execpt the upper control arm mount rusting from the frame, but that had nothing to do with the lift just the poor old heep.

if you are lookin for a good tire (IMHO) get the tsl m/x radials from superswaper.

Its what I run on my rig and havent had a single prob with them either, there quiet, good in the mud and they were pretty cheap.
    The grunt in me run it till it breaks then get a wrench to fix it!

Good leaders lead from the front

Sgt Crockett, PFC Rockhold, SFC Davis, CPL Gomez, CPL Daiz, SPC Wells, CPL Shanks, CPT DiCenzo

8 Men that gave there all so we could live free!!!!!!!

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1976 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Follow-up

Well, the lift is on and I'm pretty happy. The very experienced guy who helped me (ok...he did most of the work) said it was harder than he expected it to be. He had to drill a couple of holes in order to mount a couple of bolts -- I'll try to find out exactly what they were for and then post that info here later.

About the lift kit....Quadratex sells it for about $1,050 in the catalog, and I got it at the York (PA) All Breeds Jeep Show a couple of weeks ago for $850.

On the whole, it wasn't a bad experience. I definitely need a new wheel alignment now. Unfortunately, the Dover AFB Auto Hobby Shop -- which is very close and convenient for me -- said their equipment can't handle Wranglers that have been lifted 4". What I'm going to do is offer my mechanic friend a little $$ to do a basic toe-in, toe-out alignment (without messing with the camber) until I can find a regular auto shop to do the job. That'll at least make it a lot more driveable than it is right now.

I hope to post some before and after photos soon.

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool, sounds like everything went alright. what are your likes/dislikes thus far?
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2001 to Present

Closest Installation

Peterson AFB
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well good for you glad the lift went in good! i would think that any shop that deals with 4wd vehicles should be able to do you alignment but i dont know about the east side of pa. i can get it done down by pitt but that is a little bit of a drive for you

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Bliss
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do the alignment your self, if you can do the lift you can align it, ive done mine and 3 other jeeps

http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/align/align-1.htm
    Just another lifted, locked and cut up TJ, Have Cummins, will tow

Random Jeep Stuff

My YouTube page

Just a country boy. distortedtj's Avatar

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Whiteman AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chief57 View Post
    On the whole, it wasn't a bad experience. I definitely need a new wheel alignment now. Unfortunately, the Dover AFB Auto Hobby Shop -- which is very close and convenient for me -- said their equipment can't handle Wranglers that have been lifted 4". What I'm going to do is offer my mechanic friend a little $$ to do a basic toe-in, toe-out alignment (without messing with the camber) until I can find a regular auto shop to do the job. That'll at least make it a lot more driveable than it is right now.

You/your machanic can adjust the toe-in/toe-out, axle center and steering wheel center and you'll be good to go.........to adjust the camber you have to get Offset ball joints. You shouldn't have to worry about your camber unless you've been jumping your rig. Offseat ball joints is the only way that I know of to adjust the camber on a straight axle.

And congrates on your lift bud I hope you learned a thing or two from installing it.
    See you on the trail.....TREAD LIGHTLY!

Wars may come and go but, my soldiers remain eternal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast