User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strengthing the LJ Rubicon front Dana 44.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2007 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it. wish I had any sort of 44 up front.
    Keep it slow. I can't afford spare parts.

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    2004 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Hood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good. I had only heard folks mention these but had never read up on them, thanks for the info and links.

These would be nice in my LJ Rubi but would also be a real good upgrade to the D30 in my YJ.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1984 to 2011

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C130Hilgy View Post
    Okay, dumb question but how did they get the metal chips from the drilling of the holes out of the axle tubes with the axle still in the jeep. Also what do you think of the new brakes compared to the stock ones. Are the brakes worth the money? Also how do you like the tall gears on the highway, you must be turning some pretty high RPM's at say 65 or 70 miles per hour.
    HillBillE is correct. During the install, the carrier and gears were already removed for the 5.13 gear install. A rag is pulled thru the axle tubes to clean out the shavings. My second post has the link to an install on JK Forum that shows this. I thought the link was hot - but you can cut/paste it into the browser and bring it up...

The brakes are exceptional.

They stop the heavy LJ with 35's better than the brakes on our gigantic Excursion diesel - which was made for trailer pulling. They will lock the fronts with 35's. But even better the feel of them is so good that you can feel when they are most effective just before locking up. How much are the lives of you and your family worth? I think the brakes are worth more than what they cost. Driving the LJ before the brake swap was downright dangerous, and I had to leave alot of following distance and brake early.

The 5.13's are fine on the highway. My LJ has the 42RLE with the stupidly high .65 to 1 overdrive. I tach about 2500 RPM at 70 mph. Good power down low and now will maintain speed on hills on the freeway without bogging down.
    05 LJ Unlimited Rubicon. RE 3.5" short arm lift. 1" body and motor mount lift. 35" BFG M/T KMII's. 5.13 gears. Skid row and Jeep Medic belly up skid plates. Rokmen and Jeeperman bumpers. PSC rockers and full corners. Line X'd interior. Warn 9.5ti. Dual batteries. Dual tops. Snorkel. Full and half doors.

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2008 to Present

Closest Installation

Holloman AFB
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a nice thread... good info, thanks..

where did you get the Vanco brake kit from and how much was it all?... if you don't mind

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12