User Tag List

Thread: Evap System

usnavymitchells

Default Evap System

Anyone have any experience with a code 442. Leak detected in the Evap system. I know it is a large area to cover. Just looking for some advise as to where to start or is there a trend with TJ's for a leak occuring in the same area.

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What year TJ? What engine? I can look in Alldatapro for you with some more info.
    When mine was doing that, I had a blown fuse in the fuseblock behind the glovebox that controlled the purge solenoid. Since the solenoid wasn't opening, the evap threw a code.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

usnavymitchells

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4ink View Post
    What year TJ? What engine? I can look in Alldatapro for you with some more info.
    When mine was doing that, I had a blown fuse in the fuseblock behind the glovebox that controlled the purge solenoid. Since the solenoid wasn't opening, the evap threw a code.
    It's an 04 with the 4.0 engine. Had two codes appear 442 and I forget the other code but they both said leak in Evap System. Jeeps still runs fine. I was going to pull the main fuse tomorrow morning and dump the code to see if it returns.

Mountain Valley Customs

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2005

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

instead of pulling the main fuse, do this. Pull both battery cables off of your battery. Hold the positive and negative cables together for 45 seconds and then put the cables back on the battery. By doing touching the cables together (off of the battery!) you force the capacitive stores of the ECU to clear. This will clear any soft and hard codes that might be stored.
    Mountain Valley Customs www.mvcustoms.com 570.217.7284
    Specializing in 4x4s and custom fabrication

usnavymitchells

instead of pulling the main fuse, do this. Pull both battery cables off of your battery. Hold the positive and negative cables together for 45 seconds and then put the cables back on the battery. By doing touching the cables together (off of the battery!) you force the capacitive stores of the ECU to clear. This will clear any soft and hard codes that might be stored.

Got it thanks. I'll PM you tomorrow and let you know if it came back. I did to a quick check of the obvious and easy to get to areas but found nothing.

Thanks Again

darwinism at its best irish1371's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1996 to 2002

Closest Installation

Yokota AB
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

most of the leaks seem to be either a bad gas cap or the lil vac hose fell off the evap can
    "Some people wonder their whole lives if they will ever make a difference. Marines don't have that problem." Pres. Ronald Reagan
    Army vs Marines = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2M7ckkxQLU

usnavymitchells

Quote Originally Posted by irish1371 View Post
    most of the leaks seem to be either a bad gas cap or the lil vac hose fell off the evap can

Worked like a charm...Pulled the cables and did what you told me. Ran all day not a problem. Bust me like me and had bad gas...LOL

Thanks for all the help.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1981 to 1984

Closest Installation

Fort Meade
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged