Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good stuff..

Hurry up. Since I'm doing just about the same thing I want you to struggle thru it first so I don't have to

I have the 3/8" thick clocking ring from Greatlakes. I picked up a Speedi-Sleeve for the input shaft snout to make sure it seats in the tranny seal (T176). I hope the TC will clock up without hitting the tub. If it does, I suppose I could spin out some 1" aluminum body lift spacers on the lathe. My CJ5 has a prestine floor so I'd hate to hack it up.
    1980 CJ5 w/AMC 360, T176, D300 w/4to1, D44s, 3.73s, Lockright/Detroit, 33s, Full Cage

A Jeep-Based Buggy on 42s.. Big Lime

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to mention the speedi sleeve, I also have the Great Lakes clocking ring, and the 3/8'' just pulled the input out of the seal area by less than 1/16th of an inch.

My ring has 3 clocking positions, as my 7 has a pristine body also (direct from TX, no rust!!) I don't care to cut the floor, so I may end up clocking only part way. Nice thing is, I'm making my own cross member and skid, so I can drop the tranny/Tcase a bit if need be for clearance.

Warmed up to -15 degrees F, and the wind speed is down to 5-10 mph, so the kids should have school tomorrow And I talked to Bob at Midwest Engines, my 258 will be ready tomorrow, so I should have some pics by Sunday!!

As long as the people remain armed,
    government knows that it cannot rule over the people by force.
    Those who stand in defiance of unconstitutional laws
    do so out of duty, honor, oath and love of country.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna make a new skid too.. Probably bend up some 1.75" DOM for the frame work and skin it with 3/16". Might even use a little UHMW Plastic like I have on my buggy.. stuff is slick as snot on the rocks.

I got my 300 painted black today. I may try to get it installed this weekend and start on the skid. My Edelbrock shorty headers came in (AMC 360) today too.. woohoo! Hope to fire the CJ5 up and have it moving under it's own power in the next couple weeks. I've got almost all the parts.. just need the time.
    What's bad is.. I work in my fab shop.. with my Jeep sitting not more than 10ft from me all day... and I don't have time to work on it.
    1980 CJ5 w/AMC 360, T176, D300 w/4to1, D44s, 3.73s, Lockright/Detroit, 33s, Full Cage

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time to rock and roll!! Got this back today!!!

Going to bolt the trans up tomorrow and get the motor mounted. Then I will start on the clocking and crossmember.

It has been so cold, the fuel oil gelled for the furnaces in the 2 shops. Spent 1/2 of today getting the furnace to fire!

At least tomorrow is supposed to be 12* above!

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Installing the clocked D 300 T-case

Figured I'd keep this here, rather than start another thread.

I purchased the clocking ring from Great Lakes Offroad. There's has 3 positions you can use.

I was able to use the farthest holes, clocking the case flat. There is approximately 1'' clearance to the floorboard.

I have a 1'' body lift, if I didn't, I would just drop the tranny/tcase down enough to clear, as I'm making my own crossmember.

Now the tranny mount is the lowest point beneath the Jeep

There is ample room for the front driveshaft, no interference from the starter (258 6 cyl) except at full compression. For this I lowered the pinion snubber 1 1/4'' from stock. Since I have a 3'' spring lift I don't think the snubber would ever bottom out, but better safe than a bent driveshaft or broken starter/bell housing.

The only other clearnce issue is the speedometer cable. It is now very close to the catylitic converter. I'll probably end up making a heat shield to protect it.

With my tranny (T4) there is enough room for the 'ear' that the stock shifter mounts to on the T-case. On some trannies, this inner ear will have to be trimmed off. If you are twinsticking the case it's not a problem, as you only need the outer ear to mount the sticks.

Last edited by HillBillE; 02-01-2008 at 17:30.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot to mention, along with the clocking ring, you may need a 'speedi-sleeve' , depending on your transmission. The clocking ring is 3/8'' thick, and pulls the input shaft out of the seal on the back of the tranny by about 1/16th''. A 'speedi-sleeve' will extend the seal surface of the input shaft on the T-case, making sure no tranny fluid leaks.
    I'll post up the part # for the D300 tomorrow after I find it.
    My T-case is only in for a 'test fit', So I will be pulling it down to install the speedi sleeve, and will post pics of it.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're a lifesaver... since I don't have a BL, I'll probably just go with the middle hole. I think that should rotate the TC down to about the same height as that tranny mount. Still pretty good clearance.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1998

Closest Installation

Fort McCoy
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should be good with using the other one, lookhow high my case is compared tothe bottom of the tranny now!

OK, Part # for the speedi sleeve is: 99193
    Got the crossmember fabbed up today. I mounted the tranny solid to the crossember, and used bushings where the crossmember mounts to the frame rails.

Detail of the bushing mounts:

T-case is way up there now! I should be able to put the new skids right across the bottom of the frame rails, or just below them an inch.

"Certified Jeep Junky!"

Branch
    Army National Guard
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1989 to 2008

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

man!, thats looking good!

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah.. got the 300 mocked up under the rig today.. I had to plasma off the inner shifter mounting ear because it was hitting the upper tranny bolt. I ended up mangling the Speedi-Sleeve during all the installing/cutting/reinstalling I did.

I think that middle hole works well.. TC is about even with bottom of tranny mount. I may redo the tranny mount to raise it up a bit. I won't quite be able to do a flat belly.. but it should work out well and be able to take some hard hits.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast