Served
    Served
    1986 to 1990

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Largest tire size for stock XJ?

Looking to get new tires, and wondering what's the largest size I could put on it without any mods or tire rub on tight turns. I'm running 235/75/15. While rebuilding the motor, I "borrowed" the tires from my 99 Ford Ex after I sold it, 245/75/16, with no tire rub, but the rear wouldn't tack the 16" rims. So I will be using my BII rims, and would like something equal in height of the 245/75/16, but on a 15" rim. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1985 to 1987

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Tires

I have an 08 4dr and have 16" stock wheels, I put 285/75/16 on them and had to raise the jeep 2". 265/75/16 is the largest that would work without lifting it. There is a tire sight called tirerack.com, it has a conversion table that might help. check it out and see. And if you want to get a good price, I got 5- 285/75/16 super swamper TRXUS tires for around 800.00 shipped and installed from a web site that has really good deals on jeep stuff. If you want it, let me know. They also give a 10% military discount. Check out my pictures of mine, there are some of the tires.

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1995 to 1999

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well that also depends on if you're willing/wanting to do any cutting too.
    30x9.50x15 is (if memory is correct) the "biggest" you can go with out any modification. anything wider you run the chance of rub in tight turns.
    now if you like the 31x10.50x15, you'll have to either lift it or do some "light" trimming in the wheel well areas. not to mention probably readjusting the turn-stops to keep from any tire rub in those tight turns. (that's what trees & or boulders are for right? lol)

personaly i've run the 31 A/T's on my old (1985) dodge ramcharger (off-name brand) for almost 5 years & had no problems with them & never got stuck anywhere.
    i love my country , but scared to death of its government!

Back in the Jeep life! no more small cars here!

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now why in the hell r u bringing up a ram charger if the man is asking about a cherokee . . . didn't you read that he does not want to modify it???? and since when have xj's have 16 inch rims from the factory???? Las time i checked the last year of the xj is 2001 (unless you're in india) so . . .

to finaly answer the mans question 31x9.5x15 is the closest size to his 245/75's without any modification
    WHERE DID THE RUM GO???

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1986 to 1990

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is 522fireball and my jeep; and just poking fun @ the last post by brown man. My jeep before the motor rebuild, and I will have a picture when it's finished.
    Last edited by 522fireball; 02-14-2010 at 17:40.

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

30's will rub off-road, but on road you should be fine.
    If I remember correctly the stock tire was a 28" or a 29".
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1995 to 1999

Closest Installation

Fort Campbell
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup stock tire is 28". at least for the 1989 year it was. 16" rims never came on the cherokee, but are stock for the grand cherokee.
    i love my country , but scared to death of its government!

Back in the Jeep life! no more small cars here!

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrangler (YJ)*(TJ's May use up to 1" larger tireonstreet)
    Tire Size (Diameter)
    Suspension Modifications
    Body Lifts
    Fender Trimming
    30"No lift required - however small lifts will increase articulation greatlyNo lift required - however a 1" or 2" body lift could be used to increase articulationNo trimming required and none recommended
    31"No lift required for street use but there may be some slight plastic fender rubbing. 2" to 3" lifts are recommended for trail use to increase articulationNo lift is required but a 1" or 2" body lift can be used in place of a suspension lift to gain clearance and eliminate rubbingNo trimming is required and none is recommended
    32"A 2" to 3" lift would be recommended, a 4" lift would provide greatly increased articulation without rubbingA 2" body lift combined with 1" lift extended shackles could be used to clear this size on an extreme budget.With extended shackles or small suspension lifts there may be some rubbing at the corners of the plastic fenders under extreme conditions.
    33"A 4" suspension lift or spring over conversion is recommended.A 1" or 2" body lift is recommended to increase clearanceSome rubbing may occur Some trimming of the bottom trailing edge of the rear fender may be useful.
    35"A 4" suspension lift or spring over conversion is necessary. Axle & brake upgrades are highly recommended as well.A 2" body lift is recommended, a 3" lift can increase clearance.With a 2" body lift trimming some fender edges as much as 1" or 2" may be needed.
    CJ*
    Tire Size (Diameter)
    Suspension Modifications
    Body Lifts
    Fender Trimming
    30"No lift required - however small lifts will increase articulation greatlyNo lift required - however a 1" or 2" body lift could be used to increase articulationNo trimming required and none recommended
    31"No lift required for street use as this is close to stock size. 2" to 3" lifts are recommended for trail use to increase articulationNo lift is required but a 1" or 2" body lift can be used to gain clearance and articulationNo trimming is required and none is recommended
    32"A 2" to 3" lift would be recommended, a 4" lift would provide greatly increased articulation without rubbingA 2" body lift combined could be used to clear this size.No trimming is required unless rubbing is actually observed in use.
    33"A 3" to 4" suspension lift or spring over conversion is recommended.A 1" or 2" body lift may be used to increase clearanceSome rubbing may occur Some trimming of the bottom trailing edge of the rear fender may be useful.
    35"A 4" suspension lift or spring over conversion is necessary. Axle & brake upgrades are highly recommended as well.A 2" body lift is recommended, a 3" lift can increase clearance.Some trimming of fender edges may be needed to eliminate rubbing problems

Cherokee (XJ & ZJ)*
    Tire Size (Diameter)
    Suspension Modifications
    Body Lifts are not available.
    Fender Trimming
    30"No lift required - however small lifts may increase clearances & articulationN/ASome minor fender trimming may be required if rubbing is a problem with wider tires
    31"3" lifts are possible, 4" lifts would be better for trail use.N/ATrimming may be required with wider than stock tires
    32" - 33"A 5" or larger lift is required.N/ASome trimming is required
    33"-35"A 6" or larger suspension lift is requiredN/ASerious trimming may be required
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/

Branch
    Air Force Reserves
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1991 to Present

Closest Installation

Andrews AFB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run 30-9.50R15's with stock 15x7 wheels. They work great on road, off road the rear rubs not the front. My rear leaves are well worn though.
    HighlanderCJ-7

If you don't stand behind our troops,
    Feel free to stand in front of them!

...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

31x10.5R15 on a rim with 4" BS will fit with trimming, but you will rub at full lock on the back side (closest to the cab) wheel well liner with the outside edge of the tire.

You could throw in a small coil spacer and a main, 1st or second leaf from an old XJ pack and be done with it. If you wheel, it would be a good idea to add some hockey pucks up front on the bump stops, and a 1" channel to extend the rear bumpstops.