Served
    Served
    1978 to 1986

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Towing my Jeep

So I will be moving to Phoenix over Labor Day. The plan is to tow the Jeep behind the moving truck on a car dolly. (I have way too many cars to move!) I will need to drop the rear driveshaft, but I understand I cannot pull it or the transfer case will bleed-out. So has anyone got a terrific idea on how to secure the rear driveshaft without pulling it? Let me know.

It is time to get out of snow country.....it is already in the 30's at night!!!

There are only two types of ships...Submarines, and Targets!!!

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PM Korisu...his rig spends most of it's live being towed behind something else.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Machete wielding woodsman 94GC52's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you towing your Jeep behind the moving truck, rent the car hauler trailer instead of the dolly. The price is nearly the same, its much safer for you to operate, and doesnt require anything to be done but driving up the ramps.

Now if your going to tow it on a dolly. Forget about removing your rear drive shaft. Have you ever seen a tow truck driver remove the rear drive shaft on any 4x4 vehicle before towing it?

Tcase in neutral and trans in neutral is all thats needed.
    Got Machete?

98 GC Special Edition 5.9l (build in progress) RE 4.5" SF Lift, Mickey Thompson 33" MTZ's, 15x10 ProComp 152's, ProtoFab Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, 10k winch, Np242 Tcase Swap...

The Cow Shall Rise Again theyeti1775's Avatar

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Served
    Served
    1993 to 1999

Closest Installation

Henderson Hall
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 94GC52 View Post
    If you towing your Jeep behind the moving truck, rent the car hauler trailer instead of the dolly. The price is nearly the same, its much safer for you to operate, and doesnt require anything to be done but driving up the ramps.

Now if your going to tow it on a dolly. Forget about removing your rear drive shaft. Have you ever seen a tow truck driver remove the rear drive shaft on any 4x4 vehicle before towing it?

Tcase in neutral and trans in neutral is all thats needed.
    +1
    What he said.

You don't have to remove the shaft, if the T-Case is in Neutral and will stay there without issue.

The hauler is a much better way to tow it though, especially if your pulling it with the U-Haul truck already.
    Yeti

Jeep Cherokee - Stock for now
    "Long Live The Cow Beast"
    http://www.virginiakrawlers.com/forums/
    http://www.beltway4wd.com/