1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Chicago Electric 10k winch

Yep, you read it correctly a Chicago Electric 10k winch puchased from Harbor Freight.

Installation was a breeze, if you don't know how to spin a wrench you might want to learn that part before getting so far stuck you need a winch.

Lets get to it though. $ 399.99 on sale this past weekend. So the price was right for an enlisted guy with 3 mouths to feed, 2 vehicles, and a Jeep addiction. But my burning question was how good can something be that only costs 400 bucks?

Well as a comparison lets looks and see.

Smittybilt
    XRC 10 Winch

Click image for larger view

Part Number: S/B97210
    • XRC 10 Winch
    • Line Pull: 10000 lbs.
    • Voltage: 12V
    • Motor: 5.5 hp
    • Remote Control: 12 Ft. Lead
    • Gear Ratio: 218:1
    • Size: 21.15 in. x 6.3 in. x 8.6 in.
    • Weight: 84 lbs.
    • Wire rope: 94 Ft. of 23/64 (9.2mm)
    • Fairlead Roller
    • Type of Winch: Electric

The Chicago Electric 10k:
    Line speed (in feet per minute): 6.56 FPM @ 2000 lbs., 6.23 FPM @ 4000 lbs., 4.92 FPM @ 6000 lbs., 4.26 FPM @ 8000 lbs., 3.28 FPM @ 10,000 lbs. 12 volt, 4.8 HP, Drum diameter: 2.64'', Gear ratio: 294 :1, Cable size: 3/8'' x 100 ft.; Bolt pattern: 10'' x 4.5'', Overall dimensions: 21.9'' L x 6'' W x 6.8'' H;
    Weight: 84 lbs.

Now obviously the CE winch is slower, but my outlook on winching is this. I'm already stuck so speed is not an issue, I don't have a sponsor nor am I part of the WEROCK circuit. Basically I'm a guy that likes to wheel and gets stuck on occasion.

So for me it was a good bargain, and replacement parts for winches are pretty universal so i can always tweak and toy with it later on down the line.

But who does it pull you say? Well this past weekend 16-17 AUG I rolled on down to GWNF and got stuck on Salt Shed at the mud bath in a pretty nice hole. I really wanted to test this new purchase out so instead of getting a tug from the rear end which would have pulled me right out of the rut, I unspooled my cable to a tree about 75' away. My bumper and front axle were both pushing muck and mud like a bull dozer as this winch easily chugged right along and free'd me from the hole.

All in all I'm really satisfied with this winch. It performed it's task just liek i expected.

Pics to follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 94GC52; 08-18-2008 at 10:41. Reason: Images
    Got Machete?

98 GC Special Edition 5.9l (build in progress) RE 4.5" SF Lift, Mickey Thompson 33" MTZ's, 15x10 ProComp 152's, ProtoFab Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, 10k winch, Np242 Tcase Swap...

usnavymitchells

So if I were to use mid-night auto where exactly do you park? No really sounds like you put this to a good test. I will look into this my self. Not that I ever go anywhere....LOL All you guys wheel too far away for my. GWNF is a 5 hr ride for me.....

Machete wielding woodsman 94GC52's Avatar

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GWNF is about a 3hr drive for me, so i feel your pain. But I'm willing to travel to enjoy my hobby even if it is only once a month that i manage to go.
    Got Machete?

98 GC Special Edition 5.9l (build in progress) RE 4.5" SF Lift, Mickey Thompson 33" MTZ's, 15x10 ProComp 152's, ProtoFab Pre-Runner Winch Bumper, 10k winch, Np242 Tcase Swap...

usnavymitchells

Quote Originally Posted by 94GC52 View Post
    GWNF is about a 3hr drive for me, so i feel your pain. But I'm willing to travel to enjoy my hobby even if it is only once a month that i manage to go.
    I don't mind the drive to get there, but I can never get my seat cover (COMNAVHOMEFRONT) to get her butt out of bed early enough to get a reasonable start. She sets her alarm, wakes the dogs, the dogs wake me, I get up she doesn't.....LOL

Administrator/Jarhead Jeeper USMCHarleyJeepGuy's Avatar
    From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli...(Quantico, VA)

Branch
    Marine Corps
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1987 to Present

Closest Installation

MCB Quantico
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by usnavymitchells View Post
    I don't mind the drive to get there, but I can never get my seat cover (COMNAVHOMEFRONT) to get her butt out of bed early enough to get a reasonable start. She sets her alarm, wakes the dogs, the dogs wake me, I get up she doesn't.....LOL
    Dave...make it an overnighter and get a room in Harrisonburg for Saturday night. Wheel Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.
    Marines...shoot me a PM if you have not received an invitation to the Jarhead Jeepers social group on this site and would like to be a member.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes un-delegated powers its acts are un-authoritative void and of no force"
    ~~Thomas Jefferson

Blessed are they who, in the face of death, think first only about the front sight tip.

Celer-Silens-Mortalis

2003 TJ Rubicon
    1954 CJ-3B

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or you can just save the money on the hotel and bring a tent and sleeping bags.
    Got Machete?

usnavymitchells

Tent Sleeping and Sleeping bag....Now that's the way to go. I was actually trying to work in going to Green Ridge National Forest next weekend just to check it out. Was going to hit the road early get there and check it out for a few hours then hit the back roads home. Again it will depend on Comnavhomefront actaully getting up. I will send out an invite for all by mid week if I can pull it off....LOL

Branch
    Air Force
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    2000 to Present

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now those are the type of pics I like to see!!!!!!
    And I more than agree with the old fart (lol) sleeping bags are the way to go!
    V8 right? locked???
    WHERE DID THE RUM GO???

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Retired
    Served
    1986 to 2008

Closest Installation

Fort Leonard Wood
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks/ sounds good have to check them out $400 vs $900.
    F'it, aint my Jeep!
    Beer does a Jeep Good

Branch
    Army
    Status
    Serving
    Served
    1992 to Present

Closest Installation

Fort Carson
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brown-man View Post
    now those are the type of pics I like to see!!!!!!
    And I more than agree with the old fart (lol) sleeping bags are the way to go!
    V8 right? locked???
    Yes V8, nope not locked, I currently see no reason in locking a Dana 30/35 combo. My 94 was the last year the V8 came with a crappy rearend. Add to the fact that im turning 33's the only thing locking will do is make important things break.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost00TJ View Post
    looks/ sounds good have to check them out $400 vs $900.
    For a guy that uses a winch once in a blue moon I couldnt see the reason in spending a grand on a winch. Granted the Warn/Ramsey/Tmax name brands are obviously faster. But I honestly set my self up to get stuck here and used nothing but winch to pull me free.
    Got Machete?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast